GUN Who builds good M16 uppers?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blkgs4, Dec 27, 2005.

1. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Looking to pick up a semi custom 10.5" in 5.56, and a 5" 9mm. I'm not interested in building and I'm not interested in dropping a ton of cash either. I'd like to buy from one vendor, and I'd like it to be a drop in unit. Who do you guys suggest.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like Bushmaster and RRA, dunno which 9mm system you want to go with though, mod'd uzi mags or sten mags?

3. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I'm actually looking for a vendor who could put together an upper of various parts to get a quality final product. But I think I'd like to stick with RRA or LMT as far as an upper receiver is concerned.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think your going to end up paying alot going that route, building yourself really isn't that hard to do and would save alot of cash, I've built a couple uppers and haven't blown myself up yet :dunno:

5. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I've built a couple of rifles ground up myself, but I simply don't have the time to go function test these guns in F/A each time I try something new. I've heard horror stories about 10.5 uppers and I'd prefer just spending a couple of hundred bucks more on a well built system.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah I've heard about issues with 10.5's too dont know much about it yet though cause im not in a Class3 state yet, other then you I dont think theres anyone else who frequents here with C3 stuff, best bet is probably going over to ar15.com get a much faster answer over there.

7. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Guys on ARF are pretty much stuck on the one or two ARF guys who post up there all the time. I think asking these kinds of questions on a general gun board brings you more varied responses. And my question isn't really all the NFA related, its more of a question about who you would get to build a quality piece.

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Why get a 10.5" barrel when you have to extend it anyways or pay 200 dollars? Especially in .223 which is a high velocity round

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think he's already got SBR'd lower or pistol lower, actually if its a full auto does it even matter what the barrel length is, or do you need 2 tax stamps?

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Grant does uppers, fair prices, great service. I've bought quite a few things from him and he always wants to make sure you're happy. He's usually the first guy I call for goodies. http://www.gandrtactical.com/

MSTN.biz does a lot of work too, and they're very knowledgable as far as letting you know what's worked and what hasn't in the field for whatever you want to spec out.

11. kellyclan

No, you only need the one stamp for FA.

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Dude, I'll build you one, and put it together for you. You just buy the parts, I'll do it, and test it on my buddy's 614. AAC has a new Phantom QD flash-hider, too...you should get a suppressor for it. We can test that as well.

Anyways, for the majors, Denny Hansen (Denny's Guns/Global Tactical) is the man. Other guys do a pretty kickass job, but Denny is very approachable, very knowledgable, and doesn't usually take money for product he doesn't have, like other dealers. He's got the ability to auto-test an upper for you, and the facilities to cut-down, recrown, and refinish a barrel, should that be necessary. He's the one I'm buying my midlength barrel from, and I'm having him cut it down to 14.5 for an SBR.

Here's another story about how kickass Denny was: He and my buddy are on really good terms, due to the amount of in-depth, accurate, and knowledgable reviews my friend gives everyone who treats him right (it's how he and AAC got on such good terms). So, my friend is wavering over whether or not to get one of Denny's custom match barrels. Denny sends my buddy his own personal upper with that barrel, in the configuration my friend was looking at, with some killer glass still mounted on it. My buddy took it out to Chief's in Savannah, and put it to work at 600 yards, and was instantly sold. That's how cool Denny is. I wouldn't expect that kind of stuff for too many people, but he takes care of his customers.

He'll also talk your damned ear off if you call him, so make sure you've got some time to talk.

MSTN does a lot of the same stuff, and does it well, but I think they're running off of reputation these days, and overcharge for the services they provide. CMMG is drifting away, and they've screwed up some major shit for some people, myself included, especially when it comes to making barrels. Giff Holmquist (Giffman) is a good dude, but I don't know what ability he has to assemble and test on his own, and I don't think he has the ability to do any major smithwork by himself. Grant at G&R is also a good dude, and takes care of business. You might see what kind of work they can do that you need done.

13. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I was seriously considering Denny, I've only talked to him once and that was over two years ago but he was extremely helpful. And really thats what I prefer, I like being able to talk to the guy who built my stuff. And I think he's down to earth enough to understand that spending 600-1k on an upper is a lot of money for me. I'm gonna seriously consider him if he can do the 2-3 uppers I want built (because I'd prefer the same person so all of them).
    I'll be using my AWC Raider for now as far as a suppressor is concerned; until something new and drastic comes out I'm fine with screwing my suppressor and getting great suppression with my raider.
    I think after I finalize the deal on my M16 I'll give Denny a call.

14. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Yeah. Denny is the MAN.

15. kellyclan

Vote of confidence for Denny, I haven't bought a thing from him that cost more than $25 but he's always happily answered all my questions.

16. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

He's who i got my mid length upper from recently. Looks great. I'm hoping to get some rounds through it this thurs. :x:

17. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

18. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

LMT

as was posted, denny at golbal tactical, grant at gandrtactical and wes at MSTN are great guys to deal with

I've bought most of my AR-15 stuff from grant....

19. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

20. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

:werd: