GUN Who actually HUNTS around here? Or are you all just some paranoid gun-nuts? :P

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Troutbum, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Troutbum

Troutbum Guest

(You know, of course, the 'paranoid gun-nut' thing is totally a joke.)

Who's a hunter here? What do you hunt? And what do you use for it?

Upland-bird season just kicked off here in CO ... spent the past two days dove hunting. Last year sucked, too much rain just before the season started, birds never had to move.

This year, thanks to this miserable drought, at least the dove-hunting's good...:squint:

2. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I hunt
    1) ground hogs
    2) ducks (selling my o/u though, so maybe no hunting this year)
    3) geese
    4) anything that moves

3. Troutbum

Troutbum Guest

Never liked O&U for hunting, really.

Don't get some bird hunters...

I upland-hunt with a Remington Model 11 (not an 1100, an 11) that is about 110 years old. It's a .20-guage. I hunt dove, quail, and grouse with an improved-cylinder choke. I have mod and full chokes (barrels); use the mod for pheasant, and the full for ducks and geese - and I've killed every Canadian I've ever shot at with a single shot from the .20 (oh, but you can't hunt geese with a .20! ...my ass) with the full choke...

ANYway...

One of my buddies hunts a Browning Cittori (sp) Lightning .20 O&U, uses a modified choke and a full choke...brand new gun, used to use a Remington 1100 .12...

The next hunts a .12-guage O&U from some Italian manufacturer I've never heard of (no, smartasses, not Benelli), with a mod and full choke.

...both use choke tubes and have barrel selector switches right by the safeties.

The last one uses a Remington Model 1100 .12 guage, with a mod choke.

Every year we go through this. I pull out this ancient upland gun of mine...

Bear in mind, I have more shotguns than these three put together, and each one of them will state that "you should use (insert another gun I own here), it's a MUCH better dove-gun."

I actually asked my friend to let me shoot his Cittori on a few birds...pretty gun, feels good in the hand, all well and nice...

It was a HAIR lighter than my autoloader...not enough to make a difference...

I never fire 3 times anyway, so who cares about the advantage of that third shot vs. an O&U...

It swings nice, etc...not a bad gun accuracy wise, but not anything to write home about...

Fired it...ow. That sort of popped my shoulder a little bit. Not bad, mind; I've got .12's that are twice the kick. But...if I shot that thing as much in one day as he does, my arm'd be immobile. Nice thing about autoloaders is that they don't eat your shoulder when you fire them a lot...

Not to mention, at the end of the day...

Me, with my Model 11...
    Birds dropped: 15 (legal limit)
    Birds D.O.A. on the ground: 13, had to give 2 the ol' pinchy-pinch...
    Shells fired: 22, 3 left out of one box.
    Birds lost after being dropped: 0
    Birds mangled to the point of inedibility: 0

Matt, with the Cittori:
    Birds dropped: 15
    D.O.A.: 11
    Shells fired: Fucking 43!
    Birds lost: Three, jesus h. christ...I guess coyotes gotta eat too, but, damn...
    Birds mangled: 5. Fully 1/3 of the birds he shot, probably can't be eaten due to the amount of fucking lead he hit 'em with...full choke, my ass...

Landon, with the Italian gun:
    Birds dropped: 12
    D.O.A.: About half, I'd guess
    Shells fired: 36...3 per bird? Shit on me...
    Birds lost: 3...fucking lazy asses ought not be allowed to limit out on birds if they leave any on the ground
    Birds mangled: 5. MORE than 1/3. Who the fuck wants to shoot a 8-ounce bird with a .12 guage...esp. if it's anything more than an IC choke?

Peter, with the .12 autoloader
    Birds dropped: 13
    D.O.A.: Dunno...most, probably 10.
    Shells fired: FIFTY. Holy fuck. Got so used to hearing *pop-pop-pop* "FUCK!"...
    Birds lost: 1. Would've been 2 if I hadn't bird-dogged good...
    Birds mangled: 3 ... for the love of fuck, what's so hard about letting a bird get a little more distance before you pop it, if you have a choke that's the diameter of a fucking coke-can at 20 yards?

And all three of them actually said to me, "well, see, you could make those longer shots if you'd use a real choke, instead of that I.C. ... Shoot that Parker, it's got choke-tubes!"

OK, first of all, the Parker's worth $5000...the Model 11, for all that it's an antique, has been re-blued three fucking times... Secondly, it's 150 years old, they didn't know what choke-tubes were, ya dumb bastards. Three, all shooting a dove at 60 yards proves is that you like eating lots of lead pellets, and that you like losing birds.

*mutter* I need to find smarter hunting partners...

</rant>

4. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

:wavey:

Deer and Bear season opens the 21st... I'll be there the 19th to set up camp and do a bit of scouting :) I also hunt hogs once in a while because it's a much shorter drive and it's dirt cheap... like $12 for 7 tags :eek:

We (my dad and I) own a few rifles, a .270, a 7mm mag, a .243. All are savage rifles because savage is :cool: Also own a couple remington 870 wingmaster 12 gauges. I don't bird hunt... yet. Need to read up on the regs for the area and the seasons. I would love to bring home some upland birds for dinner :drool:

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i don't hunt. :fawk:

6. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

hell yea, hunting is great.

Me 'n' my friends like to go squirrel/rabbit hunting, while its usually me and my dad who do the duck/geese/deer hunting.

I use a .22 for the squirrel, a Ruger red label 12ga. O&U for rabbit/geese/ducks, and i have to borrow a buddies 12ga now for deer because the O&U is not a slug gun.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i hunt deer phesant

people

8. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I hunt small game with my 20 gauge, rabbits, squirrel, etc...

With my 12 gauge I hunt deer.

9. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I hunt elk, rabbit, prairie dogs, squirrels and coyotes.

I will be going after elk in December. I hope we get the snows early, I don't want fires breaking out everywhere.

10. ack

ack Guest

I hunt deer mostly. Squirrel, rabbits, and turkey as well, but not quite as much.

11. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

Deer hunting season is 2 weeks away and I'll be heading out for the weekend. Depending on where I am at, I usually take my Marlin 45-70. My family has various chunks of property through out Oregon and the place I usually hunt is close quarters and the 45-70 works perfectly.

If I go to our other properties with more open spaces I will take my Browning 30.06 for long range shots. I also having a .270, but I just haven't used it in several years.

For Upland Birds/Ducks I have had good luck with my cheapo Mossberg 500. I have used it for rabbits too, but for rabbits and most varmits I'll use my Ruger .243 and if I am on a killing spree I'll bring out the Bushmaster :o

12. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

I'm leaving tomorrow for the general rifle opening day... starts saturday :)

13. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Rabbits, squirrels, grouse. Use a semi-auto .22

14. novass

novass Guest

Deer, use either a 300 WM or a 50 BMG ( long distance shots)

15. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I've never found an interest in killing innocent animals, I'd rather them just let some drug dealers loose in a forest that's surrounded by 20' electrified fence w/ razor wire at the time and let us go at it :bigthumb:

16. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

hunting penned game is stupid and incredibly gay. It is not true hunting.

You should go hunt, on public land somewhere. It's a lot of fun and it's not like there is game everywhere and it's just kill kill kill.

17. novass

novass Guest

No such thing as an "innocnet" animal, that is a human trait. No I dont beleive in killing them "just for the fun of it" but if its in my sights the next stop is on my table. Until they mass produce a synthetic food every thing you eat was alive once, plant or animal. I didnt make up this food chain stuff, I just live by it.

18. PleaseEatSomeShit

PleaseEatSomeShit 1-900-RAT-FUCK

i beleive its obvious that i am jsut a gun nut

19. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Maybe I wasn't making myself clear. By innocent I mean something that has never affected society or myself in an adverse way. Drug dealers have done this, and if they're convicted, they're clearly not innocent, and in my view they may as well die anyhow.

The fence is so they don't get back into society, I didn't say that the area would be small :p

And why isn't it true hunting? Are you saying that sitting in a stand up in a tree with deer calls and tons of food and deer mating scent spread around the area is hunting? I beg to differ, stalking your prey that is intelligent and has some sense of reasoning, learning its reactions and its weaknesses, and finally taking that one shot to spread its chest matter across the woodland floor behind it in a spray is what I call hunting.

Now, don't get me wrong, cow, chicken, and shellfish are great and tasty little morsels (chicken moreso than the others, in my opinion), however I don't see the fun in hunting a wild animal when our society has progressed far enough to be able to have plenty of food availible in stores. Okay, so you get to take a life. Why not take a drug dealers life, or a murderers life instead of the life of something that never did anything to you? After all, humans are animals, too.

Oh, and by the way, if the animal is actually attacking you, then please, kill away :bigthumb:

20. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

Im mostly a Deer hunter. I used to small game hunt (pheasant , chuckar , quail..) when I worked at a hunting preserve , but not very often

21. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

Baiting is illegal :fawk:

22. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

First off, if they gave out tags on drug dealers, I promise I'd fill those really fast :bigthumb:

Sounds like you just basically don't see a point to shooting an animal. Well, have you ever gone fishing? Fish are innocent too...

You see, hunting is a hobby. And it's not like I get this weird urge to shoot deer or anything, and I realize I'm taking a life. I eat anything and everything I kill. I obey all the laws.

btw, if hunting is banned, within 3-5 years, the deer will have used up all the resources to support the increase in population and most of the deer will die from starvation. Now that would suck. Deer population is the highest it's ever been also. That is due to conservation, which is paid for completely by hunters.

oh and yeah, baiting is illegal :)

23. mrclarkbkk

mrclarkbkk Nature has given us 2 ears, 2 eyes, but 1 tongue,

I have only hunted Deer. Use my 30-06. Have to wait another 2 months for deer season though. Can't wait.

24. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

Quite honestly, I take no pleasure in hunting something that cant fight back.

25. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

try bowhunting an alaskan kodiak by yourself :)