MMA White won't permit Silva / Jones Jr. Fight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Tanner Rhoden, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Tanner Rhoden

Tanner Rhoden New Member

Not like this is surprising news but here it is: http://mmajunkie.com/news/4051/dana-white-wont-permit-silva-jones-jr-fight.mma

Although preliminary discussions are underway for a boxing match between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and boxing champion Roy Jones Jr., UFC president Dana White would not permit the fight to happen if terms are reached.

White, who would have veto power over such an event because of Silva's contract with the UFC, made the comments to Dave Meltzer in the print edition of Wrestling Observer.

The potential fight has been discussed since last month's UFC 82 event, when Silva mentioned that he'd welcome the challenge.

Last month NBCSports.com quoted a Don King Productions representative who said talks were ongoing and that the 39-year-old Jones, owns a career boxing mark of 52-4 with 38 knockouts, was interested in the bout. Silva's manager, Ed Soares, also confirmed their interest in the fight to various media outlets.

However, according to Meltzer, White told Silva's camp essentially to quit talking about the fight since it won't be permitted.

The fight would have required Silva to get a boxing license because it would be an official bout, not an exhibition.

Silva owns a 1-1 career boxing record compared to a 21-4 mark (including 6-0 in the UFC) in MMA.

Jones won titles in the middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight classes before defeating John Ruiz for the WBA heavyweight championship in 2003. He was named the Boxing Writers Association of America's "Fighter of the Decade" for the 1990s, and he held the WBC, WBA, IBF, IBO, NBA, WBF, and IBA light heavyweight championships at the same time.

The fight was always a longshot since the UFC stood to have its most dominant champ defeated by an aging boxer star. Additionally, there would have been the risk of injury, potentially putting the UFC's 185-pound title on hold.

However, the fight could have netted Silva and Jones millions of dollars.

2. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I can't say I blame him. It is a dumb idea.

3. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

It is a lose/lose situation for everyone involved except Roy Jones.

4. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Anderson would make sick money even if he lost. Shit like this is why the UFC is losing its fighters. Anderson sounds like he really wants this fight and might decide to not renew his contract next time it comes around.

5. 4bangin

I think it is more for pride than money.

6. damiand

damiand Proceed

Sure, but getting more money in this one fight then all his UFC fights combined would probably be a bit of a motivating factor.

7. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

never thought this would happen

8. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

wtf can anderson really box though? I mean, BOX? I know JOnes has changed a bit over the years. Plays a lot more safe and doesnt throw the mean combos.

9. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

Silva has nothing to gain and everything to lose if that fight happened.

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I think this fight would be a huge PPV draw both guys could make alot of money on this like buy an island and retire sort of coin.

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

why would this be such a huge payday?

boxing fans that buy ppv's wouldnt give a shit cause its an old RJJr boxing someone they havent heard of. And why would MMA fan's buy a boxing PPV just to see Silva box?

i just dont get where people think this is some epic PPV fight.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

it would give boxing fans an easy argument to say mma is for fags and look what a boxer can do to a mma guy if this fight happened. it's a fucking stupid idea, i don't give a shit if silva is good with his hands, he wouldn't last for shit against a boxer like jones!

dana is saving silva from his own stupid ideas and protecting his brand by not allowing his champion to get his ass kicked on ppv.

if jones would agree to fight mma in a cage against silva then dana should allow it lol cause the opposite would be true, silva would destroy jones and dana could talke crazy amounts of shit about boxers being worthless fags

13. 4bangin

I was thinking the same. The only money would come from the boxing promoters or whoever pays their millions. I really don't know. I don't see this being anymore of a PPV hit than a normal Silva fight.

What boxing fan wants to see RJJ box someone with a 1-1 record?

14. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

We always talk about what would happen in a fight like this, boxing fans do it, MMA fans do. With the right promotion and 2 of the biggest names in each respective sport I think it would sell alot of PPVs.

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

The boxing fans you also watch MMA the boxing fans who want to prove that Boxing > MMA so basically all of them.

16. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

they should do a double fight deal.

Make it so neither can back out.

Silva boxes Jones and Jones fight Silva MMA. Everyone wins and more money for all. Its not like Silva wouldn't stand with him in MMA.

17. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Can't blame Dana for this one. Right now, most fans believe Silva is an un-stoppable monster. Getting owned by RJJ, even though it will be in a different sport, will still hurt his image and marketability. Not to mention open up the flood gates for sh*t talking boxing fans who still believe mma is a sport of un-skilled bar brawlers...

18. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

White just saved Silva some embarrassment.

19. Exiled

Exiled New Member

jones would knock him out boxing and in mma standing.. silva would need to take him down in the cage or he'd get lit up like a light.

20. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i think Jones would get submitted like a submission

21. Exiled

Exiled New Member

me too

22. Sylva

Sylva New Member

That jab hand way down low woudln't fly in MMA. He'd get KO'd by a head kick long before he could reach Silva.

23. VulgarTheClown

Jones would get leg kicked to death in MMA

24. Exiled

Exiled New Member

You dont think with a few months prep he could plan on that a little bit? Wouldn't it do anything for him? He is so beyond silva when it comes to punching.. he's so fast.. so good..

I think im in love with Jones I need to watch him compete again.

25. VulgarTheClown

I can't tell you the ammount ofcareer boxers that come into ATT with 6 months to train Mt for a K-1 fight or whatever and within a week leave or go train somewhere else that is gonna tell them what they want to hear.

Ray Mercer's trainer yelled at me cause I told Ray that if he tries to block Alexi Ignoshov's leg kick with his arm he'll prolly break it.