White Rice v.s. Brown Rice?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Pen Is Mightier, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So what's the difference between the two? I was grocery shopping yesterday and saw that brown rice had less carbs per same size serving. Are the carbs just "better" carbs? i.e. comparing brown rice to like Mac n Cheese/Wonderbread carbs?

What makes them better? Just won't turn into a skinnyfat bitch? :dunno:

Is eating white rice fine? Tastes a lot better...

2. NUDES

NUDES New Member

people will say the GI is different and that brown is lower GI but if i remember right that isnt true.

3. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

I always thought that brown rice had more fibre until I had a peek at the label. The only way the slight increase in fibre benefits me is if I eat a fuckton of rice.

EDIT: Brown rice > white rice if mixing with tuna fish btw. kthx

4. Yeah I was looking at the nutritional facts side by side for the same brand of rice and it looked like an unnoticeable amount of increase in fiber and a drop off in carbs with the brown rice. :dunno: I guess if you're low-carb dieting it you could eat MORE brown rice and be eating "less". :dunno:

I probably eat too many carbs but right now I really don't care, I'm still lean as fugg and have decent abs so if it stays this way I'll keep on eating my white rice. :mamoru:

5. Guess Jmezz should lay off the brown rice while bulking then. :o

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

For a long time it was thought that the GI levels of brown rice were much lower... However, it turns out that the GI levels are pretty similar and brown rice is only slightly lower on the GI scale. Brown rice is slightly lower, has a little bit more fiber, and a little bit less carbs... Nothing too earth shattering.

Basically, brown is considered "healthier", but in the big picture, macro-nutrient and GI wise, there isn't much difference.

I eat brown rice because honestly, I think it tastes better and it doesn't give me as bad of "food coma" when I eat shit tons of it.

7. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i like brown too. i eat these whole grain blends all the time.. they taste bangin. the chicken one is the best.

[​IMG]

8. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

My buddy recommended Quinoa, I've been meaning to pick some up it seems to be gaining popularity.

9. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

any good recipes for tuna and rice?

10. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

Cook rice, mix with tuna, add black pepper... at least that's all I do and it is sublime. Simple, light and feels good to eat.

11. Drewski

Drewski New Member

brown rice still has the hull which has a bunch of nutrients, bran, bran oil, vitamins, minerals.

12. Drewski

Drewski New Member

IIRC it depends on what types your comparing. The white version of one variety may have a lower GI then the brown version of another, but if you compare the same type of rice, most of the time the brown version has a lower GI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.