White MacBooks Turning "Yellowish"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I heard that the white MacBooks after some use (year or so) start to turn yellowish :eek3:. Is that true?

2. StJimmy

StJimmy New Member

Yes... and no..

My gf bought one at launch, and it began yellowing, and the mac store near me replaced it free of charge (i.e. replaced the shell) with a new white one which is resistant to whatever was causing the yellowing.

Basically what I'm saying is they won't, as long as the macbook wasn't purchased at launch + a few months.

3. TALLandNcharge

I also heard they get a pretty good amount of scratches pretty easily, is that true?

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

mine gets yellowish around the touchpad, hand rest area...but a mr. clean magic eraser fixes the problem

also, when they first came out, they did a recall on this, since then, they have fixed the problem with new plastic (mine has new plastic, meaning that it doesn't stay yellow forever)

the outside can scratch, but i just take a little rubbing compound, like the stuff for a car and a microfiber cloth. the scratches rub out easily
    obviously you can always get a cover or something

5. TALLandNcharge

You can buff the scratches out? And it looks like new after words?

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

7. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

I slapped on a Best Skin Ever the first day I got the macbook and still looks like the day I bought it.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm talking about the surface scratches in the on the outside of the macbook (white macbook, i don't know about the black one)

it has clear plastic over the white plastic, you can use a little rubbing compound or meguire's scratch-x to get the scratches out. don't go overboard with it obviously, because all it's doing is taking a tiny tiny portion of the surface off, to make the deep valley of the scratch on the same level with the rest of the surface.
    it's just like rubbing out a scratch in a car's finish. although i'd never use my porter cable polisher on my macbook :noes: