GUN Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ATF?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PUREVIL, Apr 24, 2007.

1. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Im going to make this short as possible. I've been living in vancouver bc for 4 years now and over that time I acquired a few guns. The guns I bought in canada i bought knowing that someday I would move back to the states, so I only bought guns that are both sold in canada and in the states, to try and ease importation/exportation. Today a nice lady from the ATF called and said there is a problem with your application. Im like oh really? Shes like one of your guns is red flagged. Oh really which one? Get this the Remington 870 is the one that was red flagged! I said are you kidding me? The shotgun of all the guns is not going to be let in? She said ya that makes no sense to her too. She said shes going to look into it. I said the gun is exactly the same as when I bought it, minus a pistol grip and surefire light. She said the note says its red flagged because it holds more than 5 shells, but I told her that mag tube is standard issue for the marine magnum model. She said that since it holds more than 5 shots its not considered a sporting shotgun. I said well I do use it for target shooting, trap and skeep, not hunting. I told her I dont hunt at all. She said we'll for now im going to red flag it and you can try and submit it again later. Weird.

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Put a stopper in it and try again?

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Is there a way to shorten the tube?

4. PUREVIL

I dunno maybe I'll find someone with a standard tube and just paint the end to match and resubmit but its stupid since thats how the gun is sold here. Ya know? Hell it even says its made in NY HAHA

5. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

it holds less than 5 if u use 3" shells tho right? it doesn't matter anyways why can't a shotgun hold more than 5 rounds to be considered legal?

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

a lot of shotguns are sold NIB 7+1. it must be a mistake.

7. PUREVIL

Thats what I didn't understand. The shotgun is not any different that whats sold here. All marine magnums hold the same amount of shells with the extended mag tube. But the lady told me its considered a non sporting gun and is flagged. I maybe should have put home defense instead of target shooting down for the purpose. hahaha. I'll just resubmit in a months time and change the purpose. But still I was shocked when she said sorry the 870 cant come in.

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Its not a mistake....

Being manufactured in the US is different than being imported into the US.

Take the pistol grip off and put a plug in the tube and try again.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

He's saying its weird because it hold more than 5 rounds, he believes that the model sold in the US and Canada are identical. Regardless the capacity of the US sold 870 is larger than 5 as well, hence the reason for the red flag makes no sense.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you probably classified it wrong. like you said, "target shooting" insead of "home defense".

11. Furner

Furner New Member

Alot of times those guns cant be imported because of the sporting clause. If they are illegal to import, the manufacturer will configure them to be legal to import, and then reconfigure them once they are imported. I know they used to do that with short barreled revolvers, they might still import them with a longer barrel and then switch it out once they are here.
    Like others have said, reconfigure it to hold less than 5 rounds, Im sure you can get a new mag tube from brownells for cheap, and resubmit

Edit: btw, can you go over what process is involved with importing personal firearms from CA to US?

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

you can't import a shotgun that holds more than 5 rounds and has a pistol grip/folding stock.

13. PUREVIL

The process is pretty simple actually. Goto the ATFs site, download the PDF form, fill it out, include a short letter stating what your intentions are, and take photos of the guns and mail them all in. I think thats my problem since the photo I included was with the pistol grip and surefire foreend. Had I know that would be an issue i would have submitted a stock photo i took of the gun. But since no one i knew has done this before, I really was going in blind. Its ok though I can resubmit no biggie. But still odd that they stated that its red flagged because it holds more than 5 shots, not because it has a pistol grip. Thats what doesn't make sense to me, since there are lots of shotguns that hold more than 5 and the marine magnum is the same in both countries and my magtube as been unmodified.

Photo op... this isn't the photo i submitted it was the other side without the shells in the side saddle.

[​IMG]

14. Furner

Furner New Member

it looks like that tube extension can come off.....can you get a cap for it to replace the extension?

15. PUREVIL

Ya I think I can remove the extension and find an 870 express mag tube cap and just paint it silver for the photos sake, but I dont have my stock foregrip and grip anymore.

16. Furner

Furner New Member

i dont think that really matters as far as the foregrip, i dont think there are any laws against flashlight foregrips

17. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

smuggle it in.

18. Furner

Furner New Member

they probably import them in a different configuration.

19. Furner

Furner New Member

they could spot weld the mag tube and cut the weld when they redo it. or silver solder. its not easily changeable, but when the alternative is not being able to import, im sure they can find a way to cheaply do the conversion.

20. Furner

Furner New Member

they used to do it with short barreled revolvers.

21. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Sporting vs. Non sporting and ATFs view on that. That's why.

Dont compare it to things sold in the US. Importing is different than manufacturing here in the US.

(d) The Attorney General shall authorize a firearm or ammunition to be imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof if the firearm or ammunition—
    (1) is being imported or brought in for scientific or research purposes, or is for use in connection with competition or training pursuant to chapter 401 of title 10;
    (2) is an unserviceable firearm, other than a machinegun as defined in section 5845(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (not readily restorable to firing condition), imported or brought in as a curio or museum piece;
    (3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or
    (4) was previously taken out of the United States or a possession by the person who is bringing in the firearm or ammunition.

PS: This is also the barrel ban so many talk about being new. Its not new, its just being enforced now.

22. striker754

striker754 Chillin

They might. THe m4 only holds 4+1 i think as well

23. PUREVIL

Well I got another call from the lady at the ATF. I explained to her that I can go buy a marine magnum here that holds the same amount of shells as mine. she said really? I said yes is there someone else that can review this? She said they already have but Im going to have my supervisor call you on this. I said thats cool cuz there is no mention of the pistol grip being the problem here. The only problem is the number of shells which is odd since all marine magnums hold 7 + 1.

24. striker754

striker754 Chillin

ugh again. importing is different from domestic manufacturing. It solely depends on whether or not the marine magnum is considered a sporting shotgun or not. I dont think ATF thinks it is.

25. PUREVIL

I understand what your saying about importing VS manfu. But what Im saying is how stupid it is that you can manfucturer and sell the same item here and in other countries but you cant import the samething you made and exported.