GUN Which would you choose? v.AR question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thumper, May 7, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Which would you choose?

Colt 6920 w/LaRue or DD carbine rail

or

POF Gen II lower, RRA LPK, MagPul CTR, Noveske N4 Light Carbine VIS Basic upper

Price is not an issue for this. Optics and anything else added would be the same for both. Everything is brand new. I was pretty set on the POF set up but have a chance to get a new Colt 6920 for $1260 shipped to my FFL. Has me thinking.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

tough choice.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think those should both be quality uppers. I'd personally be inclined to get the one with lighter weight profile barrel because it fits my needs and preferences. Ymmv, you probably won't go wrong either way.

4. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

yeah, I really don't think I could go wrong either way, just looking for some other opinions. I had ruled out a Colt a while ago but I have always liked them. At the same time, I really like the VIS system and have heard nothing but praise for Noveske.

5. Wait, so you said that price isn't an issue, and that you had ruled out the Colt, but now that the price is low you are considering the Colt? That sounds like price is an issue.

That being said, I'd get whichever one is lighter.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Colt 6920 w/LaRue or DD carbine rail

No need to make a frankengun.

7. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I didn't think I would get a chance to get a Colt 6920 that cheap. If the Colt was more than the POF/Noveske set up, I would not even question it. Now that the Colt with a rail would be a little cheaper ($100-$150 or so) it is back into consideration. Part of me wants a Colt. Part of me doesn't care and likes the Noveske VIS set up and POF lower. I would have bought the POF lower already and not thought twice about this if anyone had the 415 Gen II in stock.

8. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

If I went the way of the Colt, what is anyone's opinion on rails?

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Saber Defense

MSTN

JP Rifles

This is with a competition bias, but would still make a damn good homeland security rifle. From order of pretty good to top of the line. Saber, MSTN, JP

Focus would be on a light weight rifle (profiled mid weight 18" barrel, accuracy, and speed. I would go this route if you were truly commited on getting a top of the line rifle and were willing to spend some $$$ to do it. Don't forget optics. That's the better part of $1000 if not more.

If you wanted to go more sensable I would do a DPMS with a lighter weight barrel, and low profile gas block. then drop a good $500+ into a decent scope like a trijicon accupoint. I also don't really like the railed fore ends because they are heavy and you can only attach stuff on the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. Really you need 1:30 and 10:30 for secondary optics or weaponlights

This forum software is weird you can't tell unless you mouse over but those are links at the top of my post.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

nothing wrong with a frakengun, but there is something special about a complete build.

with that being said, i want a complete LMT :hs:

11. I know it's not the prevalent opinion here, but unless it's a purpose built rifle, and actually used for that purpose, I think quad rails look silly.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you cant go wrong with larue or DD. either will be great. i would suggest also looking into Knights Armament for (approx) the same cost.

for a little less, you can't beat Troy Industries :h5:

for me, i can't stand the monolithic appearance, so i excluded DD from my search. and the Troy MRF-DI does everything the RAS does, for a lot less money and actually locks more securely :dunno:

13. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

both damm good choices

14. Initial E

Initial E New Member

Colt

damn good quality and will do nothing but appreciate in value

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I would take the Colt and go with a Larue or DD Lite.