Which wireless router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hairy Gorilla, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I just bought a new laptop with the Intel PRO/wireless 3915ABG wireless network card. I wanted to know what wireless router would work best in my house. I live in a 3 story house in atlanta with 6 roomates. Only myself(top floor), and 1 of my roomates on the bottom floor can go wireless. We already have a wired network setup for everyone else, but my question is about which router I should go with to power the house? The router will obviously sit on the middle floor, so it will only have to travel 1 level of the house. I've heard good thinks about the linksys wireless routers, but wasnt sure what the difference was between a couple of them. I looked on newegg.com and found probably 3 that seemed to all be wireless-g rated, but varied in price from around 50-80.

For instance, this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124136
    vs.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124012
    vs
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190
    vs
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

I was thinking the last one would be fine, considering it says it does 54mbps. I imagine the "transmitted power" will increase the range on the router? I saw some with 15 and others with 18. Someone please help fill in the uninformed...Thanks

2. 7960

7960 New Member

That last one will be fine, but don't expect *any* wireless router to cover your entire 3-story house. There will be dead spots.

3. Darkwind

Darkwind New Member

All you can do is strategically place the router to achieve the best coverage you can.

4. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Cool thanks, that is what I figured.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Besides, with an internal wireless card, you shouldn't have any problems picking up signal in a 3 story house (as opposed to an external wireless card, such as those used in laptops that do not have built in wireless, such as mine).

6. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Don't you have that backwards? :) An external antenna vs. two strands of wire in a laptop would seem to be the better alternative. A 3/8 wave antenna would do wonders for wireless, or 1/2 wave for that matter I'd think.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

Yes, he does. An external card usually gets better reception than an internal card.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Personally I'd go with the WRT54GL, and the WRT54G as a second choice.

9. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Go with the WRT, and run HyperWRT firmware. If you place it on the middle floor you should have absolutely no problem with signal drop. My old SMC reaches all three levels of my house, btw.

10. Sexual Vanilla

Perhaps. However, I only speak from personal experience. I've had a wireless Netgear card as well as a Linksys for my Thinkpad, and my friend's Sony Vaio with built in Wireless will routinely pick up 3-5 more networks than mine will at our apartment. :dunno:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  11. Schproda

Schproda New Member

If I had to do that, I'd stay away from Linksys, Netgear and D-Link. I had a d-link card that was so bad I gave it away and 2 new ones in the box. I had a DNS problem at a site a few days ago. Netware was doing DNS but the firewall (Linksys) was causing problems. I just don't have a lot of faith in consumer level equipment but sometimes we have to use what we have.

12. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Hah thanks guys. I would imagine I shouldn't have too many problems picking up wireless through 1 level of the house. I'll let you guys know how it goes if anyone is interested. (Unfortunately the computer won't be in until next week:wtc: )

13. 7960

7960 New Member

You'll probably be fine but don't be surprised if you have to move the AP a few times to find a spot where it'll cover most of the house.... duct work in the floor, insulation, even too much copper piping can create problems. My brother-in-law probably spent $100 on antennas trying to get coverage to his 2nd floor before I finally saw his situation and told him "your AP is directly under the heat ducting." He moved it 5' and now has a decent signal on his 3rd floor, too.

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

:werd:

I work with this stuff all the time and in my experience laptops with integrated wifi get way better reception than any PC card, USB adapter, or PCI card I've used. Even my old Dell Axim gets better reception than most add-on cards.

15. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Yeah my friends new thinkpad w/ the new intel pro wireless picks up great. I'm hoping mine does as well w/ the same internal card...

16. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

17. Sexual Vanilla

I knew I wasn't the only one!:bigthumb:

18. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

19. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

So I ended up with the WRT54G and it works great in the house. I get 90% or better connection even on the top floor and basement. Range is great. My only problem is that the linksys program that comes with it doesnt seem to work right. It keeps sayign the computer can't connect to the router. I basically gave up on setting up the linksys program and am just running the router without security. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I even tried to set it up on a desktop and it still says I can't get a connection.

20. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Nevermind. Linksys support helped me out. They were extremely helpful and easy to talk to..:bowdown:

21. 7960

7960 New Member

so what was the problem and how did they/you fix it?

22. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I could never get the CD that came with the router to load on my computer. It always said a connection could not be made between the router and computer. I could never really figure it out so I just hooked the router up and it worked fine wired and wireless. My problem was it wasn't secured wireless. I had to call them because I didnt see the link to the 192.168.1.1 thing. Aparently you can set up everything you need from that site, without installing the software on the cd. They basically ran me through how to set up secure wireless that way and I was done. Very good tech support!

23. 7960

7960 New Member

WTF.....

They didn't do anything on the phone that you couldn't have done if you read the "Quick Start" guide that came with the router.

24. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Well I didnt see the 1 page manual that came with the router. All I saw was "install this cd first!" I tried to do that and it wouldn't work, so I just went to tech support because I thought that was necessary. Apparently not at all...