Which wax to use?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by addifan, May 19, 2002.

1. addifan

addifan Guest

In Scott's thread he says to use either Meguairs High Tech Yellow wax #26, Meguiars Polymer Sealant #20 wich one is better or easier to use?

I was going to buy the 3 step system in the burgandy bottles but the sticky says they are for the casual user (maybe I should use them anyways) so any advice would be great!

Last question. If I use a clay bar after I wash the car - should I wash again after clay barring? or just start the 3 step system?

Meguiars website tells me to use Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax. Per the RX prescription thing you feel out. Is this stuff any good?

2. addifan

addifan Guest

For the prof stuff they suggested the following:

Surface Prep: Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner
    Polish: Mirror Glaze Show Car Glaze
    Protect: Medallion Premium Paint Protection
    Maintain: Mirror Glaze Final Inspection

Any thoughts?

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#26 has a better shine and is more durable than Medallion. For surface prep I would use Swirl Remover #9 and Show Car Glaze #7 is fine for polish.

Personally, I use their Body Shop Professional line, but you have to buy them from a professional Meguiars distributer or online.

Either #20 or #26 will give great results. #20 lasts longer since it is primarily a polymer wax, and #26 has a little better shine due to the carnuba content.

PS sorry for the delay in answering-my phone line was screwed up all weekend.

4. addifan

addifan Guest

Do you know of a professional distributer online that I can order from?

Is the pro line just as easy to apply as the other lines?

So the first step I need to do is use Swirl Remover #9 then use Show Car Glaze #7 then finish the detail job using #26? Or do I have the order mixed up?

Last question (for now), are these products reasonably priced like the other stuff is?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

My car is just parked outside 24-7 so I want to make sure my paint is protected.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't know if Scott's "official blessing" says to wash after clay barring, but I do, just thinking that all the shit you're trying to remove from the paint, is now sitting there on the surface. So, I'd say give that car another bath after clay barring.

Scott? Your views?

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Last I knew, you could still get Meguairs at carparts.com, although I've heard that it's owned by JCWhitney now. :barf:

Applying the pro line should be no different than any others. Simply remember to follow the directions. :big grin:

You will find the pro line to be more expensive than the burgundy bottle items. Hopefully, I answered all your questions.

7. addifan

addifan Guest

I emailed Meguires and they told me where to purchase them. They said at any Professional Paint and Supply Store
    like Sherwin-Williams or I can order directly from them.

8. Scottwax

Re: Re: Which wax to use?

You should wash your car before you use a clay bar so you aren't getting a bunch of dirt in the bar, but if you want to wash your car again after you use the clay bar, I don't see any problems with that. I usually use Meguiars Swirl Free Polish after I clay a car, then wax.

9. addifan

addifan Guest

So is the proper order to apply these products #9 --> #7 --> #26?

10. addifan

addifan Guest

Okay I just ordered #9, #7 & #26 Is it better to use a foam applicator or a terry cloth to apply these products?

11. Scottwax

Your order is correct. Use a terry cloth towel folded into 1/8s to apply the #9, and work it in small sections (2' x 2') until it is nearly clear and dry, then buff off. Apply #7 with a foam pad-use just enough to spread it around in a thin coat (too much and it can be tough to get it all off), covering the entire car. Wait about 10-15 minutes, then buff off the excess. I know that isn't what the directions say concerning waiting, but I have found it is easier to remove if you let it dry before wiping off. Apply #26 with a foam pad, again, use just enough to cover the area you are working-a quarter size blob should easily cover at least half the hood. Wax the entire car, wait about 10-15 minutes, then buff off the excess. You might want to follow with a quick detailer to make sure all wax residue is completely gone.

12. addifan

addifan Guest

Do you recommend the Final Inspection or the quick detailer? I want the one that will improve the shine the most and help keep the most dust off of my car.

13. addifan

addifan Guest

By the way Scott, thanks for all the help with this.