Which to use for scratches?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by fridexter, Feb 20, 2003.

1. fridexter

fridexter Active Member

Which would I be better off using to cover up some scratches. The two products I have available right now is: Zymol Cleaner Wax and 3M Body Repair Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut). Taking into consideration that the paint of my car is nearly 12 years old, I'm a bit concerned that the 3M rubbing compound would be too harsh, while the Zymol Cleaner Wax would be too weak. But for the 3M rubbing compound, it says it "safely and effectively removes 1500 grit or finer scratches." In comparison to the Zymol Cleaner Wax, is it any weaker or stronger..?

Whatever the case, I'm open to suggestions on which product I should use to cover up some scratches. Or if there's a much better product for my situation, then I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks! :bowdown:

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Actaully, I have a different set of products for you to use. First off, you're not looking to cover up scratches, you're looking to remove them.

If I were detailing your car, I'd first use Meguair's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish followed with Meguiar's Swirl Free Polish. Now, this will remove your small scratches and paint blemishes. You want to make that 12 year old paint shine like new? Give it a coat of Klearkote's Vanilla Moose. Top it all off with a protecting layer of good quality wax. My favorite is P21S' S100 Carnuba Wax.

Good luck! :bigthumb:

3. fridexter

fridexter Active Member

Would I be wrong in assuming that Zymol Cleaner Wax is similiar in purpose to Megiuar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yes, you'd be wrong. Dual Action Cleaner/Polish (or DACP from now on) is a medium grade paint cleaner that has diminishing abrasives. You need to work it into the paint until nearly clear and dry for it to work properly. It will not offer any protection and should be followed with a lighter polish or swirl remover before waxing. Zymol Cleaner Wax on the other hand, is a paint cleaner (albeit a mild one) and wax combined.

What you might want to do it join www.autopia.org which is a dedicated detailing site. They have a detailing book you can download (the first 8 chapters are free, and the whole e-book is around $10 if I remember right) and they have several forums that can really get you going in the right direction.

Of course, you are free to post on this forum too, but Autopia has over 7000 members so you will probably get faster responses there, then once you gain experience, you'll be able to help out here! Or just use the information for your car only. Whatever works for you!

5. fridexter

fridexter Active Member

Cool beans. One more quick question before joining the other forum. Would DACP be more abrasive/agressive than 3M Rubbing Compound Fine Cut?

Thanks muchos! :bowdown:

6. Scottwax

They are very similar. I don't know about the 3M fine cut, but DACP has buffered abrasives that break down into a lighter polish as you work it into the paint, so there is less chance of surface marring.

7. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

i used 3m's fine cut today, i dont know what the hell happened. i used it and it jsut got thick and i had to switch to a new pad, then when i polished with #7 and i was trying to buff it off, it was messy as hell! i still see the straches i was trying to get rid of

8. Scottwax

Less is better with both products. If you use too much of either, you will have a hard time removing them.

You may need to go a step or two more aggressive if Fine Cut didn't remove the scratches, or you may have scratches too deep to correct.

9. luvthong

luvthong Guest

How about Turtle Wax Sracthes & Swirl Marks Remover? I haven't use it beofre but they are very cheap and I want to give it a try....