which system to choose?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scott P, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

Working for CC, I intend on abusing my employee accomodations package and these are the two systems i am debating on:

H/U: Alpine 9815
    Xover: JBL Gtx47 w/ remote imaging enhancer
    Amps: MTX Thunder564 (for interior components)

the speaker package is the only thing i am not certain on:

Polk DB6500 components and a Polk/MOMO 2124 powered by a MTX 801d

OR

Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.25 comps and a Kappa Perfect 12.1d sub powered by a MTX 404 (one VC per channel)

The sub will be built in a custom box for the optimal specifications of the sub.

Of those two speaker packages if you had the choice?

2. 04

04 Guest

If you are going to get an electronic crossover, why not just buy a pair of midranges and tweeters? You will save quite a bit of money, since you wont have to pay extra for a passive crossover you wont need.

I say go with the Perfect 12.1d subwoofer, and whatever speaker set sounds best to you.

3. Scott P

i get the comps for the roughly the same price as coaxils and i already have the electronic crossover from an older system. I guess the bigger question between the two is more or less which has the better tweeter. I have heard both subs and i'd say they are about equal for the low frequency fill i want (I'm not a big fan of that ear shattering boom) and the mid bass will probably be about the same, but since none of the shops here carry the kappa perfects, i don't really have any way of hearing their tweeters. I will say that i think the Polk Db tweets are more aesthetically pleasing. . .but care more about the sound than the look

4. 04

04 Guest

Well I would get the tweeter that sounds the best to you. Also remember that the midrange is also very important to getting the sound you want.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

why are you getting that jbl x-over, when your headunit bass engine pro???

6-Channel Digital Time Correction

Creates virtual speaker positions so all sounds reach your ears at the same time for optimum sound imaging, with the sound focused at the ideal position front and centre. Six speakers, including subwoofers, can be adjusted.
    The ability to perform these adjustments while listening to the music, instead of from an amplifier or processor in the rear, means greater precision and of course much greater convenience.

24dB Digital Crossover

The six high and low positions let you set cutoffs that match the characteristics of your speakers much more precisely than a one- or two-position filter.

Subwoofer Phase Selector

Switches the phase of the low bass signal between normal and reverse, which can improve the overall response of the system

5-Band Digital EQ

Adjusts the boost/cut of seven frequency bands and provides six preset modes: Male, Female, Pops, Rock, News and Flat. You can customize the sound as you desire and even memorise six favorite EQ/DHE patterns.

Subwoofer Level Control

Alpine has thoroughly improved upon conventional methods of subwoofer level control by adjusting settings so that the bass volume never exceeds the main volume of the head unit. This guarantees overall sound quality and the possibility of distortion and clipping.

6. Scott P

i already have the x-over (from my previous car) i haven't ordered the head unit yet. Once i have the alpine you are right it will be sort of redundant, other than the ability to use the imaging enhancer, which is what i really want out of the x-over

042801- I know that would be the best, but i'm handicapped in the fact that since no store here in memphis readily displays the kappa perfects, I can't hear them to make the call, which is why i was asking if anyone here had heard both and could possibly share the expirience :dunno:

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

well mainly my point is you won't need the imaging enhancer, with the time correction.

8. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

no circuit city store PERIOD will have anything other than the reference series infinity stuff.

Here is what my next system will consist of when I get the cash....

APN CDA9811
    PLK C4004
    PLK MMC650 (or the new momo component set when we get them)
    PLK MMC690
    (2) PLK C3002 (from our polk accomodations site)
    (2) PLK MM124 (from our polk accomodations site)

And then building a sealed .88 cube per side box for the Momo subs. Each of the amps will be seeing a bridged 4 ohm load which Polk advertises at 550 watts. Our board model tested at 580. Regardless... right in the recommended RMS power handling range.

The 4channel amp - we are yet to see at the store, nor is the price of it even loaded into DPS.

If the 4channel Polk amp is not available, I will be doing the MRDM500 on the two Polk 12's (waaay less power), and the MRVF540 for the 4 channel.

I plan on doing this by the end of Jan (TAX RETURN! :big grin: ), so time will tell what is available.

EDIT: The only way to get the kappa/kappa perfect stuff is a vendor special order through felicia downy (her IBM number is on the back page of your merch news. have one of your sales-side guys look it up for you. (or accomodations)

9. Scott P

I never said i was getting it at the store. it is available on the harman kardon accommodations site.

Why the 9811 instead of the 13 or 15? As for the amps, we have gotten them in and I am not impressed at all with them. I would much rather stick with the MTX amps

10. 04

04 Guest

Well if you are not going to use the xover, time correction and other features on the headunit, why buy such an expensive model? Alpine makes cheaper models that should do everything you want.

I understand. I have never heard the Momo's so I can't comment on them though.

11. Scott P

i am probably going to set it up like i did with my pioneer headunit. I'll use the electronic crossover to compliment the HU's crossovers capabilities. As for the timing correction. I'm not a true believer that a head unit can truly do this to the level of what i want, and even if that Alpine is as good as advertised on it, i would still rather have the imaging enhacer remote (it is a cool demo feature when playing with the car.) As for the rest of the features. I would rather have the blue backlighting most of all, and since i get it severely discounted, why not bump up?

12. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

You did say something about no Circuits having them in your area... I was just commenting that no circuits period would have them. :( I wish we did. :(

I'm choosing the 9811 over the 9813/9815 because I dont need the time correction bullshit, and I sure dont need the 60x4 internal amp. The 9811 is quite a bit less money, and it has everything I'm gonna need to do what I wanna do.

Regarding the new Polk amps... our first c3002 was bad right out of the box. Hardly zero output at all. Sold our other NS to a guy that already had the mm12wencl, and it sounded AMAZING in his 99 Grand Prix