Which SUV?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by conduit, Jan 6, 2004.

1. conduit

conduit sup

Im interested in purchasing a used SUV in a few months, and im wondering what you guys think of the following:
    (all SUV's are 1995 and higher)

Ford Explorer
    GMC Jimmy
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Nissan Pathfinder

Are these suv's reliable, and a good bang for the buck? Im not looking into purchasing a suv which will require repair every few months as im starting university next year and $$$ will be tight.

Also, what other SUV's can you recommend looking into?

Thanks for the help

2. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

My Dad had a Grand Cherokee for a couple of years. He really enjoyed it. I have had 3 Wranglers and haven't had any problems with them. Personally, I would avoid the Jimmy.

3. Beachead19

Beachead19 What are ya HR-Shovenstuff?

I have a 98 grand cherokee (zj) and had a 96 cherokee (xj). I have had more problems with the zj whereas the xj was flawless from 80k to 175k miles i had it. most if not all xjs come with an aw4 tranny (awesome tranny) where the zj has a 42 or 44 re which tend to get crappy and quit near 100k-120k. the zj will also have an evaporator problem ($1000 fix), knocking out the a/c. If you can, go with an xj cause it will be cheaper in the first place. I am looking for a 2000 or 2001 xj for a back up vehicle before they are really extinct.

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee. This is my second, and in about 3 months, I'll be buying another. Best vehicles I've ever owned.. have never been disappointed, and they've all lasted me for quite a while.

My first Cherokee was a 91 (regular XJ) and it lasted until about 250K miles before I traded it in.. still ran perfectly. My current is a 2000 WJ (Grand Cherokee) Laredo.. 52K miles, and has never been in the shop (minus oil changes, Tranny fluid change, etc). Still have original tires on it and everything.

I'll be buying my wife a 2002 Overland 4WD within the next few months. Very excited about that. :x:

EDIT: Let me add, I have owned an Explorer, and my wife has owned a Jimmy.. and in my opinion, they don't compete.. AT ALL. My Explorer was a huge problem for me (ended up surrendering it to the bank because of all the problems)..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

See signature.

6. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Jeep!!!!!

7. diverlad

diverlad Guest

dont get a jimmy get a jeep

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 05 pathfinders are great.

9. brazenhead

brazenhead Guest

95 or 96 gmc yukon.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

resale on this is HORRIBLE, which may work to your advantage if you want to buy used and don't plan on getting rid of it until it dies. If so, you'll find chevy for a great price.