Which SUV should I buy? Lincoln Aviator...or Nissan Pathfinder....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 00TYPER-279, Nov 13, 2004.

1. 00TYPER-279

00TYPER-279 Guest

Either would be loaded...

I have never purchased a SUV before...so I am rather "noob" when it comes to them.....Thanks

2. Moose

Moose New Member

just get both

3. Nyce

Nyce .

Pathfinder rides more like a truck, more rugged.. probably quicker..

Aviator is a bit more luxurious
    but it's still an Explorer :o

4. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

I would get the Aviator, quite nice inside and out.

5. 00TYPER-279

00TYPER-279 Guest

I like the look of the Aviator more...Since I never owned a SUV before...I dont really want to get the bigger Navigator....

I have too many sports cars...I need something that can lug the crew around....I like the look of the new Pathfinder...but not as much as the Aviator...I wonder if they are known for having problems?

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

neither, ARMADA

7. 00TYPER-279

00TYPER-279 Guest

Thats what Im thinking...Base on the Aviator is about 16,000 MORE than the Pathfinder tho...

8. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

9. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

From what I'm aware of, mechainically, they are awesome. As far as cosmetics, etc, I'm not sure.

10. HomosexualThug69

HomosexualThug69 I like Big Black Cock

11. PATH2NOWHERE

PATH2NOWHERE New Member

I :love: my damn Pathfinder.... solid as a rock.

[​IMG]

Rides much more like a car than you'd think. Atleast the '99.5 - '04s do.... Edit -- I think you're talking about the all-new '05 Pathy ... those do ride more truckish. Good looking truck, saw my first 2005 Pathfinder today on the road. Looks good, but I love my current design far more than the all-new version this year. :cool:

Very nice car... I'd much rather have the Pathfinder over the Avaitor, but both cars are very nice.

12. spofoman

spofoman Active Member

fuck all of those and get a touareg tdi or if you have a vw phobia.. get an infiniti fx35/45

13. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

Grand Cherokee Limited

14. PATH2NOWHERE

PATH2NOWHERE New Member

:ugh:

15. PooP

PooP New Member

16. KingPuny

KingPuny Guest

navigator, no contest.

my family has one, one of the most comfortable rides i have ever seen. especially fully loaded *spurts*

17. spofoman

spofoman Active Member

18. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Aviator? :ugh:

19. Banana Mike

Banana Mike Guest

Aviatar.

I want to get one after my LS.

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:ugh:

:gtfo:

21. 00TYPER-279

00TYPER-279 Guest

Thanks for the pic...Did you contemplate any other models while looking for yours?
    I def. want something that rides more like a car...as I said I have never owned a SUV...So I am taking a little bit of a plunge here...into something I am not too sure of...

Yeah the new Pathfinder looks great to me...Since I have a few cars I dont mind of it rides more "truckish" as thats what Ill be using it for....

Maybe I could get some good deals on the '04 if they are that much better...

22. tun

tun Active Member

Lexus.

23. Kash

Kash me > *

i agree get a gx.. like mine.. but it maybe too much :-\ i drove a pathfinder yesterday.. the bitch armada.. and for 33k it didnt impress me much, all it had was leather and a cd player.. no navi or anything guess i expect alot for 33k but it was rather shitty

24. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Don't get the new Pathfinder. The huge box looking thing. Its a POS. We had one at my work. Interior looks cheap and shitty.

25. PATH2NOWHERE

PATH2NOWHERE New Member

I got my Pathfinder in June of 2003, and yes I did contemplate other vehicles. Name the Jeep Grand Cherokee. My previous car was a '00 Mustang, and I wasn't all that impressed with its fit and finish.

The reason I didn't get a Grand Cherokee was because, 1.)It's American, no offense, I've seen the fit and finish in my cousin's Accord and the one in my old Mustang ... (I know I know ... apples to oranges... I agree) but still for the all mighty $$$ the quality of the Japanesse cars are much better. 2.) I've heard that Grand Cherokee's have some spotty reliability, and not to mention that their base V6 engine is pretty lame in terms of get up and go @ 190 HP moving a heavy SUV is a pain.

In all honesty, I just wanted to give a foreign product a chance. The Pathfinder is my first ever Nissan. I absolutely love it. The only thing that's happened to is is that "Service Engine Soon" light has come on twice and had to be repaired about about $400 or something, plus my CD changer gave out 3 weeks ago -- which is common on the PF, the changers in them are made by Clarion and their super crappy. But this is expected as my car is an 2001 and has now 60,000 miles on it. I feel quite safe it in.

IF you want a vehicle that feels more like a car than a truck, I wouldn't suggest getting the all-new 2005 Pathfinder. It's different than the '99.5 - '04s than more than just the engine and exterior/interior revamp. It's chassis is a ladder on frame chassis or something like that -- and it's ride will be much more truckish than the previous generation.

Now, my generation Pathfinder the (1999.5 - 2004's) are on a monoframe chassis, which provides smooth handling through bumpy roads, and giving a comfortable ride ... all while maintaining the basic off-road capability. The Monoframe construction constructs the body,floor and frame all into one single piece - minimizing squeeks and raddles. Because of this, this generation Pathfinder will maintain a stable, comfortable ride.

The all-new 2005 Pathfinder is on a "box on frame chassis".

Taken from WomanMotorist, "When we learned that the 2005 Pathfinder was no longer going to have unibody construction, we were worried. The previous Pathfinder had the best on-road ride of any midsize SUV, and we didn’t want to see that go away. Fortunately it didn’t. The 2005 Pathfinder is built on a box-on-frame chassis, like Nissan’s other new full-size trucks. The truck responds quickly to steering input, and the handling is predictable. The harsh ride of the Armada and Titan are gone – when Nissan sets its mind to making a change, it is usually successful quickly. We drove it on the twisty roads of Washington’s Olympic Peninsula. It has a great ride and we really enjoyed it. If you want to do some serious off-roading, the 2005 Pathfinder is an excellent choice."

Also another major difference between the two generations is their engines... beginning in 2001, Nissan revamped it's 3.3 liter engine to 3.5 liters - and makes 240 horsepower, which at the time was a segment leader for about a year and a half. For 2005, Nissan has given the pumped the liters to 4.0 - and given the Pathfinder's engine to 270 horses. More than enough in my opinion.

It really comes down to you and what you want. If you want quality -- both version have it, I can't fully testify about the '05s because I've only seen one (which was today -- nice truck), but the last generation Pathfinder was something that many SUVs this year lack, it had a nice blend of being a subtle exterior with nice lines and simple interior. I'll admit that the it's nothing to go rant and rave about - but that's what I liked about it .... the Pathfinder and 4Runner both had some nice subtle lines about them that made them not look entirely truckish and at the same time, not too much like a car either.

If you want something entirely new, with a truckish ride, and slightly more powerful V6 ... the '05 Pathfinder is your choice.

If you want something with more of a car-like ride, slightly less powerful (although I've never had a problem merging on the interstate with 240 horses, it gets the car rolling in plenty of time) , and less expensive (as Nissan will try to get rid of the previous generation Pathfinders, to make room for the new ones by offering incentives and rebates) then the 1999.5 - 2004 Pathfinder is for you.

I've had my car for a little over a year. Got it with about 50,000 miles on it, and it's now about to hit 61k, and no real problems other than mentioned above. I plan to keep it until atleast 100,000 miles if not 120 - 125,000 miles. And I could still get $10,000 out of it probably with 100,000 miles on the odometer.

As for the Avaitor, I'm sure it's nice ... but it's still an American car , and with my hard earned money, I'd never buy an American car new, as all of them depreciate like crazy vs. their Japanesse counterparts.

Any more questions I'd be happy to answer...