GUN Which Scope?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Red Hunter, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

Which scope companies do you guys generally recommend? I just picked up a Savage 10FP in the .308 Winchester over the weekend and I am looking for a scope to mate it with. I've heard great things about Leupold, but how is Burris? Their stuff seems pretty decent and is a lot cheaper in price than the Leupold. What other good scope companies do you recommend? I am willing to spend up to around $320 for a good scope. This scope will mainly be for hunting deer and such in Northern Virginia/Maryland. I am looking at either the 3x9 40mm or the 3x9 50mm. Which one would you guys recommend? I can get a Leupold 3x9 40mm for about $260 or such, or a Burris 3x9 40mm for about $190, while the Leupold 3x9 50mm will run me about $310. What advantages does the 50mm have over the 40mm and is it worth it? Price is an issue, but I am willing to shell out the money for a good one since I know it is a lifetime investment. :)

Thanks a lot. :cool:

2. taco

taco Guest

Ok lets start with objective size 40mm or 50mm. 50mm will let more light in and give you somewhat better visability in low light during sunrise and sunset. This may or may not be important because of your personal needs or because of state shooting hours. In PA we cannot legally shoot during the times that a 50mm would come in hand. The second issue with the 50mm objective is the height of the rings. On my model 70 winchester with a burris scope with a 44mm objective I got away with the medium height rings barely. That savage you are looking at doesn't have a tapered barrel and will need obscenely high rings to clear a 50mm objective. That is something to consider before you buy.

Burris and leupold are both quality scopes. They both have good reps and lifetime warranties. I own both brands and neither has given me any problems. Other good brands are Nikon-monarch scopes, zeiss, schmidt and bender, and swarovski. Nikon, leupold, and burris are the only affordable ones out of that group.

These sites have about the best prices that i have found on scopes

www.bearbasin.com

www.swfa.com

Some scopes to avoid are: BSA, Simmons, and most tasco's.

Also as a final suggestion, make sure you get some good rings to mount it with. A good quality scope will give you nothing but trouble unless you have good rings and bases. I usually use leupold rings and bases, but have also heard excellent things about talley rings and bases but they are kind of pricey.

3. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

4. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i have a leapers 4x20 on my ar-15
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not the highest power, but does the job for close range stuff :)

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Guest

OT, but thats a nice rifle, especially for how much it cost

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2003
  6. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

Thanks for all the replies so far.. :bigthumb:

I'm leaning towards the Burris 3x9 40mm because of the relatively inexpensive cost and because I don't think that I will be hunting too much in extremely low-light conditions.

7. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

Thanks, I picked it up for $450, brand new, at a gun show last weekend. I thought it was a good buy since even online, a 10FP would have ran me $470ish or so, plus the shipping, transfer fee, etc...

I havent had the chance to shoot it yet, but I hear its pretty accurate. :cool:

First rifle/gun for me. I am loving it.

8. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

glad your likin it :thunbsup:

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i just came back from helping my friend decide which leupold to buy for his new PSS. he got the M3, which is a 3.5-10X, with a 40mm objective, on a 30mm tube. he ordered the badger rings and base a couple days ago, and the rings are for any 30mm tube, but are designed for .50 rifles, so they'll take some abuse. the scope was $699.95 before shipping. which is about the same price as the rifle it's being mounted on. the cams are for 1/2 MOA elevation, and 1/4 MOA windage, but for about $100, you can have leupold put in the M1 cams which do 1/4 MOA elevation. it's just a pain if you're doing anything where you might need to adjust elevation quickly, like hunting or tactical shooting, where something can pop out in an instant at 50 yards less than what you expected. adjusting 1/4 MOA can be a bastard, because the lines are so fine, and the number of clicks so many, that you can lose your place. but the M3 knobs are labelled very precicely for specific yardages with .308. and you can switch out the cams for .223, .308, .300winmag, and .30-06.

good scope for anyone looking to get a damn good optic.