which router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Nov 30, 2007.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

First off, I know there has been many people ask what I am asking but its hard to find old posts. I think there needs to be an organized sticky where each person lists in ONE post their recommendations for different things and why. Or the threadstarter combines everyones into categories and lists who said what.

Which router should I get for apartment. Just normal internet usage and maybe on a rare occasion a transfer of a few files from computer to computer. Really didn't want to spend more than $50/60 but if a small increase is worth it than I might as well... anyway, this is what I was looking at (with newegg pricing):

Linksys WRT54G ($49.99)
    Linksys WRT54GL ($63.99.. I don't count MIRs till I get the money)
    ZyXel X-550 ($69.99)
    Buffalo WZR2-G300N ($79.99)

From what I've read, the Buffalo performs the best as far as throughput with the ZyXel barely behind. The two Linksys ones were a decent amount slower with the G slightly faster than the GL. I mainly want something that will last several years with no (minimal) headaches and as cheap as possible.

So, feedback or other suggestions?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

avoid buffalo, I have a WHR-G125 and when it had stock firmware it would drop signal sometimes several times per day and would not connect again until I power cycled the router

Ive since flashed it with DD-WRT www.dd-wrt.com which has greatly improved its ability to stay connected, but its not perfect, still drops about once a week but will usually reconnect after a few seconds

Go with the WRT54G, either with stock firmware or DD-WRT (which I would highly recommend) it will be much more reliable