which router to get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdog12, Jun 19, 2005.

1. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

if i cant get my netgear router working tommorow i am going to be returning it. as far as deals go i can get a decent deal on a D-link 524 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143)
    and i will prolly get the D link pci card.

or i can get the Linksys Wrt54g router(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010)
    and probably get the linksys card to go with it.

i can get the dlink and card for 40 after rebates.. or the linksys for 80 after rebates.. any experiences with any of these? does anyone know anything about the alternative firmware and if that is any good? would i be better off getting the linksys even thought it will be twice as much?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

as much as I hate Linksys... I'd rather have the Linksys over the D-Link.

Netgear over both, however.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

:werd:

After D-Link was nice enough to put a fixed password administrative backdoor into a bunch of their routers, I wouldn't even consider using or recommending one of their products.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Linksys or D-Link for home use, i personally use D-Link, but most of my friends use Linksys.

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Was interested in what you wrote and did some searches. Seems like Netgear did the same with the WG602 router. The manufacturer in Taiwan set the backdoor, with the name 'super' and and password '5777364' (which is the phone # of the Taiwan manufacturer.

Still love Netgear though.

6. Shingmaster

Shingmaster omgOTbangaz4life

Id say go for the Wrt54g, that is the router i have and ihave no problems with it

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but the netgear user/pass combo ONLY works locally.... Not over the internet. DLinks could be used over the net. For netgear, who cares, because if someone has access to your physical local network, then you've got problems outside of the router password.

8. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

i can also get a hawking router for pretty cheap.. dont know about thsoe though.. i will be tinkering w/ the netgear for a while and see what is up, i have my friends belkin router on me, and i will hook that one up and see if these speeds increase... if they do i will be exchanging the netgear though. its gotten a little better though i must admit. but at close range, the slow speed of the netgear still bothers me.

9. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

well this is driving me nucking futs! anyways i tried my friends belkin router and it didnt help any. also i tried plugging in the laptop to the router, so that the desktop and laptop would be hooked by ethernet cable, i was still only able to get transfer speeds in the 800kb/sec range(shouldnt it be much faster since it is wired?)... so i figure about 8 or 9 megabits.... now my computer upstairs isnt transferring slow anymore. i can get from about 400-800kbps ranges..with the wireless connection w/ the netgear router (since it is a distance w/ some walls i could take that). the lweird thing is the laptop will get about the same speed even if it is right next to the router.

should i still get the super g netgear card and an external directional antenna(sometimes it has trouble establishing a connection, and the speeds arent usually that stable) and i figure if i can run it @ 108mpbs mode i might be able to get a lil extra speed out of it.... but the fact that actually wiring it up to the router didnt give me any extra speed puzzles me... surely this woulda made it 10x faster. i tried the belkin and netgear router and am getting about the same results when actually hooking it up to the router.

10. JaggedEdge

JaggedEdge ???????????? OT Supporter

I have owned Linksys, Dlink, and Netgear wireless routers. IMHO, I think DLink is the better one.

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

12. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I'd get the Linksys Wrt54g

Dlink is known garbage.

13. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i don't know about their wap, but the wifi card i have is surprisingly good and was the cheapest in the store

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea but most cards are reference designs from the chip maker anyway. Ever notice how they all look the same?

15. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I would never buy a Linksys wired router, and would never buy a D-Link wireless router.

however my D-Link Di-604 is the best router i have ever owned or used.