GUN Which round do you think is the best?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Red Hunter, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

I'm looking for my first handgun and I'm wondering which rounds you guys prefer. My two main choices are either 9mm or .45. I want a gun that would serve both as a gun for protection and target shooting on the range. Preferably, I would like to keep the cost of the ammo to a minimum as well. Also, I'm a pretty big guy so I don't think that I'll have too much trouble with the recoil of a .45.

I found some great deals on SIGs and HKs at www.firinglineinc.com :):bigthumb:

2. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

The 9mm WILL be cheaper to shoot as the ammo is on avg 3-4 dollars cheaper per box. From a protection standpoint the .45 would be my personal choice. I am not saying that the 9mm is inadequate for self defense, I just think that when it comes to protection the more powerful the round the better.

3. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i'm not familiar enough with .45 ballistics, and what sort of load and bullet weight is needed for proper weight retention and penetration, but two of my best friends put their lives in the hands of speer gold dot hollowpoint 9mm 124 gr. +P. it has up to 12 inches of penetration, which is needed in order to guarantee hitting a vital organ, since most people stand sideways, rather than facing when in such a situation as to need deadly force. it also has great weight retention, which means that it transfers the energy from the round to the target in a way that penetrates and creates a larger permanent wound cavity, and doesn't fragment in an unwanted way. it expands VERY well, and is one of only a few rounds approved by the FBI for carry. if you go 9mm, i would suggest you check out these rounds, and at least consider them. they should go for about $15 per box, at the least, and $20 or so at the most. maybe a hair over $20 depending on the area and the seller.

as far as .45, i'll have to pass that on to someone else. another thing, +P is only going to be safe in some firearms, and will vary also by caliber. glocks, HK, and some others are great for certain +P calibers. 9mm is one. also, keep in mind that for the same space taken up, you can fit quite a few more rounds of 9mm in there than .45 that is a big difference. you NEVER know when you'll need all 15 of those rounds in a high cap glock 29 mag. 17 rounds in a glock 17. i can't remember the numbers, but for the full size and compact glock .45's, the number of rounds in a high-cap mag is considerably lower.

5. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Get the .45. I bought some cheap range ammo toady for $4.99 a box of 50. That is for a .45

So ammo price should not be that big a factor.

6. smell my finger

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Sorry to get off track here, but 66stang where did you find .45 ammo for 4.99 a box? that is cheap as hell!!!!!
    also what brand is it?

8. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

At a local gun shop here. It is the cheap shit Wolf but it shots in my springfield and it gives you shooting time

9. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

I have decided to go with the 9mm round. The initial cost of a 9mm is like $60-70 less than that of a 45 and I plan on shooting as frequently as I can. I have another question now... which would you guys prefer? A SIG P226 chambered in the 9mm or a HK USP chambered in the 9mm? I have found both of them for around $585 new. This seems like a great deal when compared to the other prices I find online...

Thanks for all the replies so far. :bigthumb:

10. footratfunkface

11. footratfunkface

and for what will you be using this firearm? just target shooting? carry?

if carry, then consider the considerable width of the frame on HK's. if your body size is smaller than "large", then i'd say go with the sig. if your body size is large enough, HK's are good firearms, so whichever you choose will be good. also, figure out which one's trigger you like the feel of better. i personally don't like sig triggers, but i do like their quality. whereas, i can stand HK triggers better, but i don't like their size.

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Good choice with the 9mm. Its an ideal round to learn semi-autos with, offers decent stopping power with the right ammo, and the availability of cheap practice ammo means it'll be easier for you to get much needed practice time in.

Between the USP and the P226, i'd go with the SIG, but that's personal preference, they're both great guns. The SIG just feels right in my hand. Both are too large to be considered ideal for concealed carry, but for target practice and home defense, they're great choices.

13. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I have one of each. I like 9mm for its cost and it really isn't a bad round at all. I like .45 for steel plate shooting for it's power. I agree with Kelly on 9mm to learn with, it's less itimidating. I've taught a few friends on my guns and most are afraid of my USP at first, till they've shot my XD for awhile.

14. novass

novass Guest

Nothing so great about the 10 MM, yes it can have some bigger ballistic numbers but that isnt everything. It tends to be hard on most actions that were designed for the 45 ACP ( 1911A1 type weapons)

The FBI first went to the 10MM when it ran into problems with he 9MM ( agents lost a big gun fight in Florida with it) but found soon found it over powering, they went to a down loaded 10MM round.

It turned out that they could get the same ballestic numbers from the 10MM diameter bullet but in a shorter case that could be chamber in a shorter action , hench the 40 S&W was born. It was the best of both worlds. , small size and power.

It now fit in the same frame size gun as the 9MM but gave better "one shot stop" performance than the 9MM it replaced.

15. smell my finger

they didn't like the 10mm because they thought the 'average male agent and most female agents couldn't shoot it effectivly'

:greddy:

16. novass

novass Guest

17. smell my finger

'overpowering' for women and tiny, little men.

conclusion: for someone who can handle it, the 10mm is the best round. :bigthumb:

18. kellyclan

Yeah, the 10mm is a great round, but not really a beginners caliber. Although, i will say i have found that for me, i notice less recoil in a 200gr 10mm than in a 165gr .40SW.

i wouldn't let the Miami incident spoil the 9mm in your eyes, the FBI agents did make several hits that should have been terminal for even a .22. The bad guys simply outgunned and outfought the agents, i'm really not convinced it was a equipment failure. Etc, etc, etc.

Nothing handheld is a surething knockdown, but a shot to central mass with a 9mm is better than a legshot with a .50AE any time.

19. novass

novass Guest

Okay since I have to draw a picture for you, use this link.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

This is the results from the of the last rounds of "Strasbourg goat tests" , one shot simulations, police data, gelitin and other sources.

Live animals were use to test the effectiveness of a single shot to center of mass in the Strasbourg. Goats were used becasue they could not get any humans to step forward.

As you can see the 357 MAG is still the standard others are measured by. As shown the 10mm looks great on paper but in real life ( and death situations) it does not score more than "average" Not a bad round but again far from the best

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2003
  20. kellyclan

i'll tell you what. You can have a .357 Mag and i'll use a 10mm.

We'll shoot each other in the chest and Nismo can time how long it takes each of us to die. :big grin:

21. taco

taco Guest

if you want something for concealed carry 40 s&w would be the best choice, with .45 and 9mm tied for second.

9mm ammo will be the cheapest. 45. will probably have the tiniest edge and I mean tiny in stopping power over a .40.

10mm are junk for concealed carry personal defense.

.45 would be best for range work and home defense although a handgun is never a good choice for home defense anyways. for home defense nothing beats a 12 gauge and buckshot.

22. footratfunkface

about .40 s&w: #1, you can't use +P loads, because they'll blow up. so, basically none exist. which means that you can only affect the ballistics through bullet weight. as you go up in weight, you take up the limited space in the casing, thus making velocity go down. that limits the performance of the .40 round severely.

but, in both .45 and 9mm, you can get +P rounds. now, when you compare the best .40 round to a standard 9mm, yeah, it outperforms. but, when you compare a +P 9mm round to a .40, the 9mm outperforms. that's where the big push for .40 came from. everyone compared it to a standard 9mm.

#2: .40, when compared to .45 and 9mm, is relatively scarce. not too many things use it, in comparison. that means that if shit hits the fan, and ammo starts disappearing, .40 will be nearly impossible to find, and any weapons that you are able to scrounge up will in all likelyhood not be chambered in .40.

23. novass

novass Guest

Better yet, you take your 10MM and Ill take my .50 BMG and well stand 1000 yards apart and shoot each other in the chest.

24. kellyclan

. <----- point

:) <----- your head?

:dunno: :p

25. novass

novass Guest

Hey just playing. Everyone knows shot placment has more of an effect than the caliber.

A .22 in the pocket beats a 45 home on the night stand.