Which RDBMS? Oracle or PostgreSQL?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dmar, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Dmar

Dmar Jump

I'm about to sign up for a class next semester... "Software Engineering for Internet Applications" ...which involves building a web service that uses an acid-compliant rdbms...our choices are either Oracle or PostgreSQL (well, Microsoft SQL Server also, but I'm not really interested in that). I use gentoo, so it's very simple to install postgres...but should I attempt to install Oracle for the experience since it is the most widely-used db, even though it is much more complicated? Is it superior to postgres, or are they about on par?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

From my experience I can tell you that using Oracle can be a bit more complicated and very syntax specific. If you want my honest opinion, go for Microsoft SQL Server. I'll tell you why... right now the demand for open-source developers are a dime a dozen. When you find a job open for an open-source developer they are definatly not paying as much as you want. Although, it might be different wherever you live. I have found that it is really difficult to find a decent paying job for an open source developer in SoCal. On the other hand, the demand for Microsoft SQL Database Developer or Web Application Developers are much more desired and they only seem to become more desirable. MS SQL ties in perfectly with the technology such as ASP, VB, and C# on the .NET infrastructure. You won't regret going that way, despite how much you despise Microsoft and prefer Linux and the open source community.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'd have to say Oracle is superior over Postgres. Granted, Postgres handles what? Isn't it the top level domain lookups for .edu and .org or something? I think Oracle handles the .com lookups. I'll admit this may have been a while ago and I'm likely to be wrong (and too lazy to look the info up).

I've heard the problem with Oracle is its complexity. I query a data warehouse during the data and I don't have DBA rights to the database server. But I understand there's a lot of options available to the DBA and how the server is configured which results in how it'll perform. I also know a senior DBA (experience in MS SQL, Sybase, DB2, and some Oracle), and he says Oracle is a pain in the butt to setup. Querying it is as easy as querying Postgres or MySQL.

Because this is a college class, this could go a couple of ways:

If you don't have time, don't care, and just want to get through the class, then I might recommend going with Postgress. Its pretty easy to setup and get going.

If you have some time and you want to learn, AND your prof has Oracle experience to share, then I'd go with Oracle. Learning it right now while you're in school with access to people who know what they're doing and in an environment which encourages screwing up, is perfect. When it comes to databases, you DO NOT want to screw up in a production environment in the real world. The more experience (aka: the more mistakes) you have now, the better you'll do when you're out doing it for a buck.

One other thought: not many web hosts provide Oracle as a DBMS option right now. Maybe this will change shortly. If you're looking to let someone manage the web server, this may be something to think about and Postgres may be the way to go.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'll agree with what Astro says. Oracle is very complex. Honestly, I haven't met anyone who has succesfully made Oracle work on Linux. I haven't tried myself so I really don't know how difficult it would be.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

The senior DBA guy I know has tried about 5 times to get Oracle to go on Linux on his home machine. He admits he isn't a Linux/Unix expert and thinks that's part of the problem. I haven't tried it either.

If your prof knows how to do it, it might be worth going through the pain and suffering of learning how to do it.

6. Dmar

Dmar Jump

hmm...maybe i'll look into oracle + windows then. The textbook is all oracle syntax. i'm also pretty sure the professor (philip greenspun) is a proponent of oracle.

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Oracle is a PITA to setup, and if time isn't on your side, I'll go PostgreSQL.

That being said, if you want a cool/fun learning experience, go for the install. I've done it on a Windows XP SP2 box, and it was like trying to draw blood from a stone (9i is what i was using i believe). I still have yet to attempt a linux install of Oracle, but hopefully it isnt _THAT_ bad anymore.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

If you must go with Oracle, then yes, go with Oracle on a Windows install. Oracle 9i shouldn't give you any problems.

CyberBullets, I had massive headache with 8ii, are you sure it wasn't 8i?

9. CyberBullets

could have been. i originally wrote 8i, but then second guessed myself. :hsd:

It was back in 2001, so hell if i remember anymore.

10. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

PostgreSQL is my RDBMS of choice. It's as at least good as Oracle for anything as big as you're ever likely to see. Fast, scalable, and easy to maintain.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'd use Oracle, just to have that on my resume when I graduated.

12. CyberBullets

:werd: everyone knows what/who Oracle is.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Plus you can fuck with PostgreSQL anytime. Take this time to learn Oracle.

14. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I second the Oracle choice. Even if you struggle like crazy all semester, you'll learn more with Oracle. SQL is SQL, and SQL is simple as hell.

About Oracle on Linux, I was able to get it installed on RH3 or whatever it was. Oracle is actually supported by RedHat's enterprise services, so the GUI installer works just fine. Oracle isn't that bad to install if you follow the proper directions. It's similar in nature to installing Gentoo. Stick with the directions and you'll be fine.

15. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Hope you don't plan on doing anything else on that machine, Oracle is a resource hog. I run Postgres and SQL Server on my laptop and don't notice a slowdown... just Oracle made it unusable.