Which PS3 RPG did you enjoy most?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Sooka, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Sooka

Sooka New Member

Hey all I'm looking to get my first RPG for my PS3 (first for that console, obviously not my first RPG ever), I was mainly looking at Demon Souls and Dragon Age Origins. Demon Souls is what I'm most eager to play but I have a very short temper especially when it comes to games so I don't want to end up getting it and then throwing the disc out my window after being stuck on the same level for five hours. I was wondering which RPG did you guys find most fun and enjoyable for the PS3? I love a long and challenging game but not something that frustrates me to the point of me punching holes through my wall.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Demon's Souls is awesome but if you have a short temper and low level of patience, stay away. Aside from Valkyria Chronicles which is more strategy RPG than standard RPG, there have not been many decent PS3 RPGs. Thankfully, that all changes Q1 2010. Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, White Knight Chronicles, FF13, Resonance of Fate.. lots of tuff coming out.

So I'd say Demon's Souls or Valkyria for now. You can try the Eternal Sonata demo out on PSN and see how you like it; its a jRPG but wasn't my cup o' tea.

3. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

Im playing through eternal sonata right now, its kinda cutesy but I like the battle system.

4. Sooka

Sooka New Member

I'm definately going to give Demon's Souls a rent to see whether it's a fun challenge for me or if it will just frustrate me and piss me off. I do have patience and I love games where I need to use different strategies to get ahead. I just can't stand games that feel cheap where half of the game is rediculously impossible.

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Demon's Souls is hard but I wouldn't call it cheap. If you are being careful, pay attention and learn the proper strategy to use, you can complete a level, something which feels incredibly satisfying in this game.

6. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Don't burn out on Demon's Souls like I did

7. pachogamez

pachogamez Active Member

there's also Disgaea 3

8. LBFilmGuy

LBFilmGuy LOL why u mad tho?

Fallout 3 for me.

9. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

this..i wish more RPG's were similar

10. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

Demon's Souls obviously

11. Fareo

Fareo New Member

Oblivion was my fav which is similar to fallout

its actually the same game but with a mid evil theme :o

12. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

save the money on the rental and just buy fucking DS

13. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

Yea i grabbed it today at best buy.. factory sealed for $20 :dunno:

I may exchange it for the GOTY which is $40. I had no idea shivering isles was $30 off psn :ugh:

14. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

Borderlands is pretty fun. It is a Live Action RPG like Fallout 3.

15. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Leveled system killed Oblivion

Fallout did it better

16. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

The only similar thing about Borderlands and Fallout is the wasteland theme

17. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

And they are both live action RPGs. They both have a leveling system and they both have skill points to distribute upon leveling up. And they both involve looking for vaults.

18. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Borderlands is an FPS with a skill tree. It is not an RPG. Just because there are levels in a game does not an RPG make.

They are so completely different its almost silly we're having this argument. If Borderlands had a setting anywhere else no one would have even thought to compare the two.

19. JR

JR New Member

Demon’s Souls is a game that will make you into a man. A scrawny fourteen-year-old, after two hours with this game, will be grooming his muttonchops and ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser. If you are already a man, it will make you into some sort of bizarre double-man. What’s that you say? You’re a woman? You don’t want to be a man? Too bad. Too bad. That’s the Demon’s Souls way.

You’ve probably heard that Demon’s Souls is hard. Pshh. Lots of games are hard. Some are even harder than this one. The difficulty is not the point. What sets Demon's Souls apart is the way that it doesn't just kill you, but also stomps on your genitals when you’re down. And it will make you realize that that’s what you needed all along.

It’s a lot like life. Sometimes in life you win, and sometimes the giant armored skeleton stabs your face off because the flying mantis monster you didn’t even see shot you in the back with a spike at just the wrong time. And when that happens in life, do you respawn at the same spot and carry on like nothing happened? NO, asshole. You go back to the beginning of the level, leaving all your hard-earned souls out there on the pavement, and you fight your way back. And you learn a lesson from the whole thing, because you should have been wearing your Thief’s Ring, now shouldn’t you? That’s life.

The trend in hard games these days is to unlock “Easy” mode for you once you’ve died enough times. Do you think Demon’s Souls does that? Do you think Demon’s Souls is so much as aware of the concept of “Easy” mode? NO IT IS NOT. If Demon’s Souls even knew we were talking about “Easy” mode, it would come over here and kick the shit out of all of us. And we would deserve it.

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.

Have I told you about the online elements? At any time when you’re in Body form, another player from anywhere else in the world can invade your game and murder you to regain his own body, or just to keep you on your toes. This happens when you’re in the middle of fighting armies of unthinkable monsters that are probably already three-quarters of the way towards killing you. And no, you cannot opt out of this feature! This is what you signed up for when you agreed to be a man.

When this happened to me -- when a guy strolled into my game like it was Taco Bell and exploded my torso, costing me my body and all my progress in the level -- was I mad? No, because I was too busy being in awe at how fucking hardcore the experience was.

Now, don’t let this dissuade you. Demon’s Souls is a pitiless master, but let it never be said that it is not fair. The game rewards handsomely those who stand up to it, and the greater the challenge, the greater the glory.

What the hell are you waiting for?

20. inter

inter SOON

JR searches for Demon's Souls threads, lol.

21. JR

JR New Member

inter searches for JR posts

22. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

I hope thats copy pasta

23. inter

inter SOON

Just happened to see you had the last 2 posts in 2 Demon's Souls threads. :coolugh:

24. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

Demon's Souls hands down. Best game I have played in a long time, too.

25. Chaotix

Chaotix New Member

Im playing through Valkyria Chronicles and the game has been fun so far. The episode thing is kind of different but the gameplay is still great.