Which processor(s)?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bleak, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bleak

bleak Guest

I'm building a new [personal] computer, which will be heavily used for gaming, but also the normal day-to-day stuff. I'm trying to decide which processor(s) to buy for this new machine, and I'm torn between an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and Dual AMD Opteron 148s.

I know Opterons are normally used in server applications. I would consider dual Athlon 64's, but I haven't been able to find a motherboard that supports dual socket 939 processors.

Anyway, what are the pros and cons of each? From what I can tell, both support the same multimedia instruction (MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNow!, 3DNow!+), etc. So which route would be best?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

can't run dual 148's... dual config you need the 248's.

3. Silfx

Silfx New Member

Only a very few games supports dual CPU's so no point in getting it for gaming. And what is you're normal day-to-day stuff? If its like words/inet etc you wouldnt need a dual CPU either, if you use like a lot of CPU intensive programms that support dual-CPU or multiple CPU intensive programms at the same time you could consider a DUAL. But like jollyogre said you need the 2** serie's. If its mainly used for heavily gaming you could consider a Atlhon 64 or FX with SLI (2 videocards). If you do require a DUAL and want SLI or the option of going SLI in the future (like score an expensive card now and in 1 year or so plug another of those cards in it wich you'll be able to get very cheap by then for a performance upgrade) you could consider an IWILL DK8ES you can go DUAL-CPU and dual GPU on it :)

4. bleak

bleak Guest

I was thinking about dedicating 1 processor to games, and 1 for everything else, if that's possible.

Occassionally I use some programs that eat up quite a bit of processing power, but, on average, nothing that would really need dual processors.

Yeah, I realized that after visiting the AMD site and looking at the specs.

I have a BFG NVidia 5900 right now, and plan on upgrading to a BFG NVidia 6800 Ultra (which has dual DVI inputs). So what would be the benefit of dual GPUs?

--------------------------

Also, another question arose while researching this: can/will Windows XP Pro run dual CPUs?

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You might need a special version for multiple processors, but I think that it should be included with the regular version :dunno:

6. dj_madness

dj_madness New Member

FX-55! nuf said

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

XP Pro supports 2 physical cpus.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not possible.

9. Silfx

Silfx New Member

no, atleast not under windows afaik

2 6800 Ultra's will be faster as 1 (around 70% atm migh increase more with improved drivers) but you need a PCI-E videocard and 2 PCI-E slots on your motherboard to make an SLI setup. that IWILL DK8ES motherboard is the only that has dual proc and the ability to run 2 GPU's it will come out somewhere in december. there are several other motherboards wich has 2 PCI-E slots but you can have only 1 proc with those a few of these motherboards are MSI K8N Diamond, Asus' A8N-SLI, here is a picture of a SLI setup (with the asus motherboard): http://www.tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1101233642.jpg

here is review of a SLI setup (in dutch) the first graph is increase of performace that 2 cards hold over 1, the second graph is 3dmark but that oen should be obvious :) http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/34660/?highlight=SLI
    with some help from google it should be to hard to find benchmarks/reviews in engish.

yes altough not as effiecent as linux/unix machines will

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hersay / opinion.

11. bleak

bleak Guest

The Asus A8N-SLI is actually one of the motherboards I'm considering for this upgrade, but seeing as 6800 Ultras are about $600 per, I don't know if I'll go with a dual GPU set up right away. Also, having never done a dual GPU set up before, I'm still not clear on what the benefit/advantage is (other than speed?), or how it would be implemented with a single monitor.

-----------------------

On the original topic, I'm leaning more towards the FX-55 now.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you use the monitor connection on the primary card. The SLI connection is to use the processing and memory capabilities of the other card. The SLI connection facilitates extremely quick transfers between cards. This allows both gpu's and memory controllers to work on textures, producing much better framerates, or more-importantly, much higher resoultions and qualities at a given framerate.

13. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

theres a good article about SLI on tomshardware.com

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

good article on tomshardware? ha!

15. bleak

bleak Guest

Now that sounds sweet. Do you know if that can be done with 6800 Ultras (I don't know if you can get them in PCI-E, and they take up 2 slots as AGP)?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes you can get them in PCI-E, and yes you can do it with them. but $1200 on video cards alone is way too rich for my blood.

My 6600GT is keeping me very happy right now.

17. Silfx

Silfx New Member

you can start with just 1, ya can run everything like ultra-high with AA and AF and like in 1 year or so you can pick up a second card for prob 200 or so.