A&P which pocket digicam should i buy?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by babygodzilla, Apr 3, 2004.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

im not a pro-camera man, i just like to take a gajillion snapshots everyday and everywhere. indoors, outdoors, bright, dark, rainy, whatever. so i've been lookin around for a compact digicam, something under $300. i've been reading up mostly on CNET, here

my choices were the Minolta Dimage XT, Pentax Optio S, and Canon Elph (one of the Elphs dont remember what model).

i really like the looks of the Minolta Dimage XT, and CNET ranks it the best ultracompact camera, but after reading some more a lot of people have complained about the quality of pictures taken under anything other than bright light. indoor pictures are merely average, so ive read.

my friend has the Pentax Optio S, and she says picture quality are good. but CNET says the Optio has worst quality pic compared to the Dimage XT. i also like the looks of the Optio. i've heard that its so small u can fit it in an altoids tin? not sure how true that is.

i think im pretty familiar with the Canon. i know a lot of people that have it and ive seen the quality of it, which is my only real objection of buying it. i dont wanna be another guy that has the digicam everyone has. call me anal or whatever, but i just wanna try something different. ive also heard often that the canon is slower than at least the Dimage and the Optio.

so, what do you think about the 3 cams mentioned above? or do you have any other recommendation?

Thanks a lot!!

edit: can u guys help me understand about Min/Max shutter speed? the faster the better or what?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  2. johnson

johnson New Member

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

thx for the links

actually, my mom has the canon, and i feel its kinda slow in saving a picture, and the canon is generally more expensive than the others

4. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I have a Canon Digital Rebel... and i felt it was too big to carry around for a lot of things. So I bought a Canon SD100, and I fucking love it. They have now replaced it with the SD110. Which now has an extra print/share button on the back...

I highly recommend it.

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

cool! but doesnt the SD100/110 only have 2x optical zoom?

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Yeah but don't worry about that. Seriously you won't be missing that extra 1x zoom over the others.

I get my SD110 tomorrow hopefully, I'll let you know how it is. :)

7. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

I have the cannon sd200 my wife uses it at her job and its great when we go on walks or outing where you are not sure you'll need a digital camera

8. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

awesome! :bigthumb:

9. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

i just got the sd110 yesterday and the fucker is going back. image quality is completely unacceptable for anything you actually want to keep.

10. johnson

johnson New Member

Post examples? Is the problem you or the camera?

11. dmora

dmora Guest

I think im going to get the Sony DSC-T1, Canon S500 or S410 Tho im leaning more towards the sony since i already have a 717

12. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I have no idea. I mean its supposed to be a point and shoot for the most part, but the levels of noise are truely distracting. Even in a somewhat lit barroom setting at abotu 12' with flash, the entire image is engulfed in noise.
    when the camera is doing "better" it still sucks. I havnt managed to take one picture yet that doesnt have some seriously "noisey" parts unless its just one big closeup. I was taking some macro's of my cat the other day and you can see the cat in perfect detail and its pretty impressive, then you look at the wall behind the cat and its a MESS of grainy colorful artifacts.

ill post pics when i get home from work. I wanted this camera so bad for so long and it has been such a huge disapointment.

absolutely retarded battery/charging/ac adapter situation makes me mad too. There is NO reason why an external interface for the battery couldnt have been added with a clip/plug for the ac adapter. taking your camera apart and not being able to use it in order to charge the battery is completely ridiculous.

and i cant believe they still use the lame rubber plugs to cover stuff up. Im comparing image quality to fullsize sony (717) and olympus (old 1.2mp d560 i believe and a few more.. even the OLD 1.2mp blows away the canon) cameras, but still, if subcompacts suck this bad, then i dont see any point to owning one.

i truely hate sony, but im taking this peice of shit back and looking at the V1.. anyone tried that yet? If the casio and pentax have poorer image quality then this peice of shit then those are both out of the running.

13. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Have the SD110. It's really a solid camera. I do wish it had 3x optical zoom but, eh, oh well. Overall I'm very impressed.

This is on the "fine" setting (medium) for compression and the second smallest image size setting (I think).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a resized superfine (best compression) and largest picture setting.
    [​IMG]

14. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

resized images look fine for me too. post them up at native resolution. Those are all best case scenarios for hiding noise. no solid patches of saturated color. Try taking a picture of a person standing a 5+ feet in front of some colorful objects or walls. Or worse yet, a group shot that includes a bunch of people, colors, etc with no clear focal point... :ugh:

15. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

just realized i have yet to actually try a picture that was sunlight.. oh well. if it cant take pictures indoors, its still useless to me.

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Dont know any of the specs about the SD110 but is there a setting for ISO? Maybe it was compensating for itself when using it indoors so shutter speed wouldnt drop below 1/50s.

17. Ballast

the sd100 will do 50, 100, 200 and 400. Mine get's a bit noisy at 400, but that's to be expected.

18. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

i believe both of these were on default point and click.. max resoltion, superfine jpg quality.

i havnt taken many pics with this cam, but they have all sucked. grainy textures, red where it doesnt belong, and odd artifacts all over the place. i realize i may be asking a BIT much from the camera in the low light situation, but the sony f717 would have taken a perfect picture in a much harsher situation. i realize that the sony is an entirely different league of camera, but these are completely unnacceptable to me.. i mean sure, scalled to 50% they look "fine-ish" but screw that. i bought a 3.2 mp camera and Im not going to let them pass off a 1.6 to me/

Check out how everything from my buddies arm back looks like crap, especially my orange walls.

this picture just looks entirely like shit, and is about what ive come to expect.

19. Ballast

Please take a few pictures where you don't blur out people's faces. That way, we can read the EXIF data, and then make an evaluation of what might be wrong...

20. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

that looks on par with my S200. With people posting pictures from 1-4k dollar cameras i feel like all my pictures suck.
    go to http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ it's a canon forum.

21. johnson

johnson New Member

After you download the picture, right click, properties, summary, advanced, and tell us what ISO these pics are. Most likely 400.

Stop camparing this to the F717.

22. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

with a Canon, how do i download pictures without using the software that came with the cam?

23. johnson

johnson New Member

To download pics from the camera, all you need is the correct driver, no software. Id recommend getting a seperate card reader because its a lot quicker.

24. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:slap: im an idiot. it just shows up under my computer... dur

25. dmora

dmora Guest

I just realized the Sony T1 uses another form of proprietary memory :mad::rant2:
    That just nearly put me off buying it, but its still pretty close to the top of the list because of the size.
    :hs: