Which piece of hardware is most likely failing here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ww_Crimson, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Computer running fine.. come home the other night to

Window cannot start because the following file is corrupt of missing
    c:\windows\system32\config\system

I ran window recovery console, got things working, life is good.

I wake up the next morning and the computer is stuck in a boot loop giving me a BSOD saying memory_management

I run Windows Memory Diagnostic for ~3 hours on each stick of RAM, no errors reported

Format drive, new install of windows, everything works, life is good.

I come home from work and the computer is still fine, cool. I'll start installing my games/software again.

Wake up this morning to

c:\windows\system32\config\pci.sys (I think it was that directory anyway)

I have another hard drive I could put in if needed, but I don't want to be wasting time fixing what isn't broke. Hard drive is my first guess but I'm also worried the PSU isn't supplying enough power or the RAM actually is fucked and I didn't run the memtest long enough. What do you all think?

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

hard drive

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Cool.. wish I had money for a nice SSD right now, but I don't. I'll through in a 750GB I have lying around. Thanks,.

4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

This^

Sounds like you may have a bad sector.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Have you run CHKDSK on it? That's the first thing I run on any computer that's having any bluescreening problem of any kind, regardless of the error, unless I know there was a power surge or I can smell smoke. A bad sector on the hard drive can corrupt your data and then, ironically, be read as "reliably" as any other spot on the platter, so the computer will never know there's a problem until it checks the platters by writing data and then reading it again to see if it still says what it's supposed to. So, if you have a bad sector, you can end up with corrupted files that otherwise don't slow things down at all because they don't give the computer any problems when it reads them, and everything sails along smoothly until the corrupted data gets executed and Windows shits itself.

Run "CHKDSK C: /R /V" from a command prompt, or from a Windows install CD if necessary. Then run "CHKDSK C: /V" (without the "/R") and see if it finds any more errors. If it does, run the first command again. Repeat until it finds nothing wrong, or until it becomes obvious there are problems that can't be fixed. If it can't fix the problems, it's time to buy a new hard drive.

6. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I installed a new HDD, it was running ok for about an hour while I installed drivers, rebooted it for one reason or another and it was running incredibly sluggish. Came home, tried to open firefox and it instantly crashed an gave me a BSOD of with IRQL_Less_than_equal error.. Anyway, gonna try and run CHKDSK on this HDD and memtest one more time. Getting awfully fucking annoyed though.

7. deusexaethera

IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL is almost always a device driver problem. You'd think they could just say that, but I guess sometimes there are other causes.

Is there anything in your computer that's really dusty, and maybe overheating? That can cause problems too.

8. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Nope.. I regularly clean the computer, and now I got home from school again today with the same

c:\windows\system32\config\system

error..

It's definitely not the hard drive or drivers because I have a thumb drive with all the drivers I need (chipset, audio, gfx, etc., all the ones I had installed originally before the computer crashed).

I'm thinking it has to be RAM or a bad Mobo. I could run down to Fry's and pick up some new RAM if I need to but I want this fucking computer working. A faulty PSU would generally underpower the gfx card and other things causing more than just the windows directory to become corrupt, right?

9. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

After reading more and more reviews on newegg I'm thinking it's the motherboard

Asus p5q pro

Has about 5 to 1 positive to negative reviews, but almost 100 people sayin their board arrived DOA, a lot also saying it's corrupting their HDDs, etc..

10. deusexaethera

Is there a BIOS update you can install? That might fix the problem.

11. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah i would definitely say if its not the hard drive its probably the motherboard

12. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

replaced the mobo.. stable for 12 hours so far. I think the SATA controller on the last one went bad.. ended up with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L .. I like it so far.