Which pads and how long do they typically last?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by xSteveO, Apr 6, 2009.

1. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

I bought some awhile back, but back in the market for them. I never cleaned mine out, so all the polish/compound was all caked up on them. When I did try to clean them, they lost all of their firmness and the foam began breaking up. What's the proper technique for cleaning these things? How long do you guys typically use these before replacing them? Any recommendations on some pads?

I will be using a Makita 9227c

2. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

I always clean mine right after a detail so the polish wont be all dried up in them. I used to soak them in DP pad rejuvinator then rinse under warm water and massage polish out. But I recently bought a pad washer bucket from AG and omg its badass, cleans pads super fast and real effective, I used two pads on a whole car on my last detail, polished a couple panels with one, cleaned it and spin dried it then layed it in the sun while I used the other one, once i did 2 panels with my second pad I cleaned that one and was able to use the first again.
    BTW- I use the CCS pads, they work amazing for me.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If the pads were old and sat caked with product for a few years, that is probably why they fell apart.

The new Meguiars pads are machine washable and seem very durable. As a rule of thumb, cutting pads tend to wear out more quickly than polishing or finishing pads due to the harder use they receive.

4. R6Tuan

R6Tuan OT Supporter

scott u good man!!! wen i move to tx ima look u up n u can detail my car :)

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

lol wtf?! :ugh2:

6. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

If you're using a rotary, Edge pads are the way to go IMO. They're not as durable as LC pads, but the difference in smoothness is soooo worth it.