which motor? and places to get it from

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by matt_c, Aug 25, 2003.

1. matt_c

matt_c Guest

I'm trying to make a final decision on the motor to put in my project car (see $3500 car thread for picture), and i've narrowed it down to a 350, 396, or 400. Advantages/disadvantages to getting each one?

Also, where is the best place you all have dealt with getting motors from?

If it makes a difference, this is going to be a street car that only is driven once or twice a week, so i'm not gonna be looking for 900 hp or anything crazy. 400-500 would be perfect.

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Mar 16, 2000
    Speed-O-Motive makes a good crate 400 small block, for a great price. Tell them what you want, and they will custom it for you. The 400 sb would be able to easily make between 400-500hp and still be pretty easy to drive on the street, with a moderate cam, and a good intake. You can top it with a decent Q-jet, make plenty of power, and not have to worry about tuning it every time you want to take it out, as you would with most Holly carbs, and you'll get a little better milage too.
    Personaly I think small blocks are a little easier to live with than big blocks, in terms of finding parts, gas milage, ect, but big blocks are better at making big numbers, without sacrificing drivability.
  3. matt_c

matt_c Guest

any others with good places to shop?