Which Motherboard???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Robo

Robo New Member

Trying to finish up my new PC build...

Rest of specs:
    Q6600, 2GB DDR 1066, 150GB Raptor X, 8800GTS or X

Looking at either:
    Gigabyte GA P35 DQ6 or ASUS P5K Deluxe
    :dunno:

Also any other suggestions are welcome.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

intel

/thread

3. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

You'll be getting a good motherboard either way. Both motherboards are good performers in terms of gaming (I assume this is for a gaming setup), and the two are almost equal. However, if you are really anal about overclocking, the Gigabyte GA P35 DQ6 offers better overclocking by a small margin. It depends on which one better fits your needs, i.e. features, etc.

If you are willing to pick another motherboard, the GA-P35C-DS3R from Gigabyte is a good pick as well, and it is compatible with DDR3, in case you wanted to upgrade to DDR3 later on.

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I like my GA-P35C-DS3R, however I don't think it is as good for overclocking as the other two you mentioned (from some reviews I've read). It depends what you want to do, it's good for me as I don't mind too much about overclocking.

5. Robo

Robo New Member

Definitely going to be overclocking a bit. I'm leaning more towards the ASUS now, but I dunno.

I keep reading all these great reviews and seeing good results for it in tests and stuff, then i see a bunch of bad reviews all complaining about similar stuff.

I see nothing but good reviews for the gigabyte one, but not as great performance.

6. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Well it'll overclock for sure (assuming your CPU is up to it), it's just that it can be a pain in the ass to change RAM voltage etc. I'll never end up doing that so it doesn't bother me.

edit: I have the Q6600(B3 stepping) and I was doing some overclocking just to see what it could do without any effort and it hit 3Ghz without any problem on the stock cooler. I'm running on stock speeds because I don't need the extra speed (right now... plus I'd go with better cooling before I O/C it 100%). Again, depends how far you wanna go.

7. Robo

Robo New Member

I'm just planning on pushing it a bit over 3ghz on air.
    I got a SLACR Q6600, G0 stepping, so it should handle it ok. I'll definitely be upgrading the cooler too.

I'm running into a problem deciding on memory too.
    I want to get DDR2 1066 but ASUS mobos are notoriously picky about ram. Also, theres some shit about the motherboard supporting 1066 through memspeed or something, but normally just up to DDR2 800.

I was reading up on OCing the Q6600 on the P5K Deluxe mobo, they used Kingston DDR2 1000 with little problems and overclocked everything well, might just go with that.

8. syxx

syxx running with scissors

I would have to say DDR3 = Slightly less performance for alot more money at this stage in the game. Maybe when they get the timings knocked down a bit. I would say save yourself some money and get an nforce board. I'm not big nvidia guy but thier boards have great performance for the money. Plus if you are getting the 8800 and you get a sli board, you can always buy a second one later on down the road if you think you aren't getting enough performance. The intel board is restricted to ATI Crossfire only at the moment I believe.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes and the intel board is infinitely more reliable than the nforce -- which is having issues.

10. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

The Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 is a good board. I have had mine ~ 2 months and love it.

11. Robo

Robo New Member

It will definitely be an Intel (P35/ICH9R) board. I don't see myself buying a second $500 graphics card so I'm not worried about SLI. The only thing I may do is upgrade to a 9800GTX when it comes out, maybe a 45nm processor too if they are considerably better and not too expensive. Also I've heard mixed, not-so-great reviews about nforce chipsets anyway.

I'm not planning on going with DDR3 anytime soon either. High price for questionable performance probably into the end of the year to early Q1 08. :nono:

After reading up on the ASUS and reviews/tests of it, I'm liking a lot of the features it has, from the overclocking to the i/o panel layout to the utilities it comes with, etc. :dunno: All looks good to me.

Plus I am using an ASUS mobo now so I'm somewhat used to it, and it has been completely problem-free aside from a few screwups on my part after 'frankenstining' this computer together when it was first built.

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Using an 8800GTX (and possibly the 9800 Series) on the P5K Deluxe will make the top 2 Sata ports unusable.