GUN Which model 10/22 will get me the most back after i sell the parts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Mar 25, 2009.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

The receiver is usually the only think you keep when you upgrade, right? Want to build it up to weigh about 7 pounds. Something like yar's.

2. 7 pounds? That's heavy for a 10/22. If you want to sell the barrel, a stainless model will be worth more. I don't know what the stocks go for though.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

My CZ 452 Lux weighs that much and it doesnt seem that heavy. I guess the lighter the better.

What forum can I get a used kidd trigger?

4. To borrow an idea from Colin Chapman, you must add lightness.

[​IMG]

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Here is what I have so far. I had a bunch of windows open and all of a sudden they closed...

$200 - 10/22
    $289 - KIDD Trigger (what weights?)
    $140 - GM 16.5" Fluted Sporter
    $75 - TAC Innovations Aluminum Magazine 25rd

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Might try fishing around local pond shops/etc for used 10/22 stuff. I've found some real snags that way.

Also, the carbine (real short ones w/ the youth looking stock) were cheaper than the full size models once upon a time.

7. I'd trade the Al magazines for the polymer ones. They are functionally identical, but the polymer ones are considerably cheaper. As for trigger weights, my 1st stage is 1lb on my KIDD and the 2nd stage is an additional 1lb. So, 2lbs total. I had it set up like that for benchrest use, but I haven't had any problem with plinking with it or shooting in our .22 IDPA match last year.

8. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

The walmart special used to net the most turnaround, although I don't know how well the new painted and plastic parts resell.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you live in a state where you can buy a aftermarket 10/22 receiver (not california) then do not buy a complete rifle.

If I could I would get a MOA 10/22 receiver You'll also have real stainless steel receiver, not the garbage pot metal that ruger uses on the factory receiver. http://www.moaguns.com/rec10_22.html

I would then get a barrel that threaded into the MOA receiver and not use that retarded 10/22 v-block (whole point in getting the MOA). It might be hard to find both a light weight barrel and one that is set up for a threaded receiver. You could maybe get a bull barrel and send it off to randal at AR15barrels.com or similar smith and have him turn it down to a cool AR type contor and thread the muzzle for either a comp or suppressor. I would love a 13" ultra light w/ a jp comp (mostly for looks and to get it to 16").

As far as the Tac inc mags I like the aluminum ones. They are more expensive, really don't function any better than the polymer, but it is a really nice mag. When you handle one you see where the extra money went into materials and workmanship. Again if you don't mind spending the $$$ get the aluminum.

For the kidd trigger a lot of it is the wow factor. Get the light trigger. The 3oz/6oz might be too crazy and I chickened out on that one. I got the 7oz/14oz. You get plenty of "Oh Shit" expressions when people pull on the trigger for the first time.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

10. jls

jls New Member

yeah minus well

11. That's actually not a terrible price compared to some of the aftermarket receivers. The V block isn't that bad though, and you can shoot very accurately with it.

12. johnson

johnson New Member

$180 + $5 shipping doesnt seem bad. I guess the hard part is finding a threaded barrel.

Is MOA charging $130 just to thread it or for the barrel with threads already in it?
    http://www.moaguns.com/pricelist.html

13. Don't forget the FFL fee for the receiver.

14. johnson

johnson New Member

$145 with Brownell's discount. :eek3: (OOS though)

FFL is $15 but i'm buying a Hi-Point 995 Carbine at the same time. Wonder if he'll still charge since it's the same form?

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That would be a lot of money to thead the receiver. I'm thinking it's for something else. I suggest calling them. If they don't have it in stock I'm sure they know which dealer does.

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I dunno if I agree with you here Yar.

If buying new, I could possibly see where it might be advantageous to go with the aftermarket receiver if for no other reason than resale, but I don't think you're getting any real tangible amount of performance increase. The only thing I noticed different with mine was that annoying ass rear lug that made things a bigger pain to bed. Sure the threaded barrel might be more "solid", but I've honestly never had any problems with barrel droop (even running a 20" bull), and Skeeter even sells an improved V-Block to take care of the issue if you so desire. It just seems like a poor place to spend your money.

I had a bad-ass BR 10/22 built up, but there's no way I'd go that way again. You can easily drop $1k into a 10/22, but for what? Guys with well thought out $500 dollar rigs will be shooting right with you. In the BR scene, guys with stock CZ's and Annies that cost half of what your monster costs will shoot inside you. Then when you go to sell to try something else, you will be getting fucked in the ass (10/22's depreciate like not much else).

I dunno, buy/build whatever suits your fancy; but I personally think a 10/22 shines as a cheap blaster that shoots pretty well for what it is. If I was wanting something serious, I'd say fuck the Ruger in a hearbeat and be searching out a used Annie.

17. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Whats the 10/22 crew elitist opinion on the X-Ring Receivers?

18. My opinion is that the receiver doesn't make any significant difference and is not worth spending lots on.

19. johnson

johnson New Member

The idea of my rifle is a high cap .22lr that would work well in the Appleseed program.

20. I really don't think you'd see any value from an expensive aftermarket receiver. My lame stock receiver shot .25" groups at 50 yards.

21. johnson

johnson New Member

How much could I sell the stock, barrel, and receiver parts for?

22. I have no idea. I still have all my stock stuff.

23. johnson

johnson New Member

24. BLH

BLH Member

:wiggle: The way to go, if your looking for a .22lr to punch some seriously small groups in anything, why not start with something that will cost less to start with probably, and be able to sell it and get a good price for it. Plus the Anchutz is made exactly for that and has a better aftermarket for precision shooting.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you want a benchrest gun then don't get a 10/22.

A 10/22 is a range plinker or small pest killer. Where the 10/22 shines is when you got high cap mags and a shit ton of ammo. Then you can dump on targets as fast as you can pull the trigger on the cheap. That is why you get a 10/22.

While I don't shoot my $$$ 10/22 very much any more I still love it. Only reason why I don't shoot it is that I only have so many hours to shoot matches and the big boys all play the 3 gun and ipsc so that's where I want to hang out.

If your looking at a 10/22 as a investment your fooling yourself. It is not worth in $$$ what you put into it. The reason you spend $1000 on a 10/22 is to build something awesome that you can shoot a lot of. Most people cannot afford to shoot their AR's every weekend 100's of rounds a session. You can afford to do that with a 10/22. the 10/22 is also so modular and you can do it all yourself without specialized tools. It is often the first gun people build up for that reason.

As far as the aftermarket receiver purely from the materials I think it's worth it. Going retail price for a 10/22 seems to be $250 nowadays. The only thing you can sell off of it is the barrel and the bolt. The stock has almost no value, maybe $25 and the shipping is a good $12-$15. The bolt you might get $60. The barrel maybe $70. I know as I went this route, all I wanted was the receiver because I could not get the receiver I wanted.

I got one of those gunsmither blocks in place of the v block it is a improvement but the threaded on barrel would be better. If you remove and replace the barrel your zero is not going to shift (at least as much). I know people are going to say "I never remove my barrel". I do from time to time to clean the breech face. The aftermarket recivers generally have a hole in the back so you can run a rod without removing your barrel. I know people are going to say "I use a bore snake", or " I drilled out my own hole." I also like how the receiver does not strip out as easily from the scope mout base screws. Steel screws and pot metal don't mix. If your running big heavy scopes or doing run and gun stuff I just don't trust steel screws in pot metal. You can't refinish a factory 10/22 receiver other than paint or dura coat. It does not hold a polish. To me it just looks garbage. With a real stainless steel receiver you have more options. I would polish the sides and inside and bead blast the top. I think that would look sweet.

It all comes down to you don't need to spend any money on a 10/22. I wanted to. I don't care if the returns for the $$$ were marginal. I can only shoot one gun at a time so I insist on shooting the best guns I can reasonbly have. Shooting is what I love to do. I don't benchrest but I do shoot steel plates and my 10/22 is a better steel plate 22lr than anything out there.