MMA Which martial art to choose for self defence?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Marix, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Hey all - first post ever in here so please bear with me.

I'm sure this gets asked a lot so I'll be quick.

I'm starting a new university in October and they have a range of societies with different martial arts. The choices are:
    Aikido - with an emphasis on "real life" situations (if that's possible.)
    Taekwondo
    Shorinji Kempo
    Wing Chun Kung Fu

I'm not a tough guy. I don't go out looking for fights. I don't want to kick anyones ass. I don't want to compete or get in a cage or anything like that.

However, I am a smaller guy (5ft 7 and about 165lbs) and I'd like to choose something that might help me with basic self-defence, should the need ever arise. I'm reasonable athletic- I lift weights regularly (part of F&N crew) and I'm fit aerobically too.

In your opinion, what would be my best choice? I was thinking Aikido simply because I'm smaller and it would let me control a larger opponent, but I'm worried that there is very little striking. I can't really throw a good punch to be honest.

Thanks for your suggestions, if any. If you think they're all worthless, please say so.

2. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

I'd recommend downloading some instructional videos and you'll be set.

Or you could always watch Bas Rutten's videos on youtube.

3. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

:rofl::ugh:

honestly the best self-defense would be boxing or any martial art where you can train at a realistic resistance level and spar on a regular basis.

if you see a class where they say "so if he punches you like, you guide his arm this way and slide under and elbow here" run away.

join a school where they teach you techniques and you spar/train the point where you can use them at a realistic speed.

btw, tkd is gay

4. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

Brazilian dance-fighting.

5. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

km

krav maga is what the israeli's use, they train you to kick people in the balls and other effective techniques to end a fight right away and then run away

6. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

help the guy out, atleast explain it.

krav maga is what the israeli's use, they train you to kick people in the balls and other effective techniques to end a fight right away and then run away...

7. tkluu

tkluu New Member

too bad krav maga isn't one of his choices....

8. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Thanks for the responses. I'll have a look for krav maga and see if there's anywhere in my area that teaches it - but I doubt it... I live out in the country in a pretty small town.

edit: but yeah - the beauty of the University club is that it's completely free and it's right on my doorstep. Since I'm only a beginner and I'm completely clueless I can't really justify travelling and spending money on something I might not even like.

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

None of those would be really good for self defense. Boxing or Krav Maga is the way to go IMO. Krav Maga is gonna be expensive though.

10. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

kempo can be good and effective. i have no idea about that style of it though. with any of them, it will all depend on who the instructor is and how you are trained.

though the other three are some of the worst known for their actual fighting ability.

11. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Go try each one out.
    Alot will depend on who is teaching each one.

Stick with the one with the coolest people and/or the best teacher.

12. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

set sail for fail?

Thai or Krav are pretty much the ways to go, imo.

13. teep

teep New Member

for self defense? learn to box a little, learn to wrestle, learn to knee someone where it counts, and most of all learn to run

14. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Thank you everyone who responded.

I've looked - no muay thai or krav maga anywhere near me so they're out of the question.

I'm thinking Shorinji Kempo because it focuses on both strikes and holds. Taekwondo seems to fancy and I'm not interested in competing. Aikido.. I'm not sure. It sounds good in principle but I've never seen it in action.

Anyone know why there are Aikido practitioners in MMA or UFC? I've heard that if it's because the moves are too dangerous - if you don't comply (by rolling, falling etc) then you're going to get something broken. Any truth to that?

15. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

There are no aikido people in the UFC. Aikido sucks and is gay to the macks.

16. teep

teep New Member

i can't tell if this is a joke or not.... but

no one here takes traditional martial arts seriously except for muay thai, judo, and jiu jitsu. i personally think aikido is more about tradition/culture than anything else. if you've ever been in a bar/street fight you'll know that you will never get any of those little wrist lock/finger bending bullshit moves on someone. if the only reason you want to pursue any of this is self defense then just hit up a boxing gym. learn to throw a punch, learn to scrap. boxing gyms are everywhere.

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

krav maga works

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

as said before, Jeet Kun Do and Krav Maga are your best bets for self preservation. If you cant find a gym, no harm in buying a book or downloading a video to get an idea what you are dealing with. The Tao of Jeet Kun Do is a good read, I read it a long time ago and it spells out exactly what you need to do to keep yourself safe if attacked.

Since those gyms wont be available, and aparantly MT isnt either (muay thai is great just because most attacks dont happen at punching range), boxing is your best bet. You will learn what it is like to get hit, and if you take it seriously, and someone trys to harm you, you will likely light them up like a xmas tree.

19. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

Id recommend Judo but its not on your list. Krav maga, maybe? An MMA gym is always the best IMO

20. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

probably the kempo if there's any sort of realistic sparring.

21. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

If you are 5'7 I wouldnt focussing on striking seeing you are more likely going to have a huge disadvantage in reach. Judo would be ideal.

22. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

do you see judo on that list?

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah you don't need to go into to much training for self defence considering the avg joe doesn't know shit. Plus they teach survival stuff like how to survive multiple attackers and run your ass away haha. because running is a self defense skill.

24. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Not a joke - just I noticed a few people on youtube saying aikido practitioners wouldn't/could take part in UFC... but then again most youtube users are morons so that's why I came to you guys!

I've never been in a fight but yeah it sounds reasonable that you probably won't be able to get people into locks etc particularly easily.

Thanks for your input. Quite a few of you reccommending boxing. I'm sure there's one near me so I'll look into it.

I'll send off an email and ask. Also I'm a bit concerned that supposedly 50% of the time is spent in meditation/massage etc which I'm not really interested in.

That's different to other people who are suggesting boxing. Ideally I'd like to learn both - how to throw a decent punch, block a couple of punches and maybe something like judo where I can deflect an attack :dunno:

25. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I'm a fast runner so I'm ok on that front :cool:

It's INCREDIBLY unlikely it would ever happen but if I was ever cornered or a guy is really trying to start something and I can't talk my way out of it.. I don't want to be a completely useless idiot who takes a beating.