Which Mac is best for me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jack Imhoff, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Hello everyone,

I am interested in purchasing a used/refurbished mac. However, I don't know what model to get. I want to pretty much use it to learn OSX, browse internet, use apps, and my wife will probably use it for small graphic design projects. What would be the best model to get? I would also like it to be powerful enough to be able to run Tiger when it comes out. I was thinking that anything below a G3 wouldn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

dont get one to just learn...ull just end up buying a new one.

OS X is very easy to use, the manual for it is nothing like the bulky MS windows ones...why? cause its pretty self explanatory.

get an IMac for affordable desktop usage; if ur gnuna go portable, dont skimp n get the ibook, get a powerbook.

3. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and go ahead and get at LEAST a G4.

Having just converted from a lifetime (19 years) or PCs, OS X was increadibly easy to pick up on. To get on the web, boot it up, plug it in, and it will take care of the rest.

Try eBay for some deals on early G4s. Even what looks to be a "slow" machine will be adiquite for you. Make sure it comes with the OS X restore CDs. I'd re-install the OS and start from scratch.

4. Jack Imhoff

Jack Imhoff Guest

Thanks for the input guys. I will commence my ebay searching now.

edit: sheesh there are a lot of choices on ebay. I might just watch some auctions of some systems that I might want and see what they go for. Macintosh sure does have a high resale value. If anyone happens to see a good deal, shoot me the link :x:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  5. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, the great thing is, if you don't like it, put it up on eBay and make almost 100% back on it.

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

iMac G4 seems the way to go in your situation.