Which is the better rider?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ItchySac, May 27, 2005.

1. ItchySac

ItchySac Oh, thats the spot....

Not trying to start a flame war here. Was on a street bike forum earlier and came across a topic with a pretty interesting debate. Which is the better all around rider, dirt or street... Or are they both relative?

Some good points were made in favor of dirt due to the fact a dirt rider is faced with situations a street rider would never encounter. One argument is if you took 1 dirt rider and 1 street rider. Put them both on street bikes. Then sent them on a race course with conditions like wet roads, gravel in corners, mud and dirt in spots to throw the bikes off balance. Which rider would you bet on to bring the bike back in one piece? My money would be on the dirt rider.

Not everybody agreed. I admit that I am biased towards dirt since Ive been riding for over 12 years. Just wondering if you had an opinion....

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i ride dirt bikes and its easy to say a street rider would have an advantage

3. ItchySac

ItchySac Oh, thats the spot....

Look at it from this point of view. A point of view not comparing it all to street riding. Which one would adapt to the other quicker? IMO, it would be much easier for a dirt rider to take up street riding than it would be for a street rider to take up dirt riding. Wouldn't that kinda tell you which style requires more general skill to be good at it?

Me personaly, Ive only recently taken up street riding. Ive had a few bad dirt habits to break. But to me, feeling out how a street bike is going to perform and react to certain situations along with my all around securness while on the bike has come alot quicker than I thought. I know I personaly had an easier time than friends of mine who tried dirt for the first time. One in particular laid my RM250 down within the first 2 minutes he was on it. I gave a pretty big I told you so after that one. He hoped on the bike with a cocky attitude because he was so sure of himself and his ability to handle a little ol 250cc 2-stroke because he has an R1.

Like I said. Im just sharing an opinion, no flames intended. I have respect that any bike, dirt or street will put you on the ground if your not careful.....

4. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

the best street riders in the world all started on dirt

there are no top dirt riders who started on the street