Which is the better opportunity?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'm posting this here since there are more IT professionals that could give the feedback that I'm looking for.

I've got two companies that are interested in hiring me. 1 is out of state, the other is about 10 miles away. The out of state position would be as a systems admin for a small/medium company (responsible for servers, data storage, and escalated issues), the closer one has ~40 employees and I would be the IT department (i.e. responsible for everything).

The one out of state requires monthly travel to locations in a 300 mile radius, the one that's closer requires occassional trips to Canaduh.

Assuming pay and benefits are the same, which would likely yield the better experience and would look better to other companies down the line?

2. Pyraxis

Pyraxis Guest

In your situation I'd take the one close to me and that requires the occasional trip to Canada.
    The one closer to you is making you do everything which gives you the broadest experience I think.
    But then, that's just my opinion.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

agreed, plus if you move out of state and don't end up liking the job for some reason it will be a bitch to move back.

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I'd personally take the one that farther away. Being "the IT department" just plain sucks IMO and I think having a more specific role would be easier on the nerves.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yea, who knows what "being the IT dept." will really mean for you in the future. Are you expected to be doing any development? Then again, if the company does well and ends up expanding, then you could be in line for an IT manager position if you play your cards right.

6. Scoob_13

See, that's what I was thinking - that being the only one in the department would mean that, come the day that they expand, I'd be the head of the department.

However, it's a small manufacturing company and I'm not sure of their growth rate.

I would be in charge of web site development :)sleep: ), however I do see myself as retooling their production software with a custom application :hs:

7. Scoob_13

This is something that also concerns me :o But a good friend of mine works for the company (he's the one that got me the lead) and I know a couple of other of the employees through him - and they're all great people. Hell, I went to their Christmas party in December and had a blast :bigthumb:

But yeah, moving out of state isn't something I've done before - hell, the farthest I've moved from my original home is 12 miles :noes:

8. Scoob_13

Thanks for the advice all - some were right about the closer company wanting WAYYYY too much for very little in return, and I fly out to the one that's far away this weekend for my in-person interview :o

I'm wayyyy nervous :noes:

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i agree with compiled monkey - that job description could use some tightening up.

what's the current state of the company closer to you? has it been well-managed so you can basically walk in to a smoothly running organization? have standards been established so everyone is using the same type of equipment and software, or has everyone just brought in whatever they felt like?

10. Scoob_13

Basically, the closer one was:

1) In a mediocre part of town
    2) Not managed at all - I'd be forced to do a complete overhaul of their systems to bring it anywhere near a state of control for 1 person
    3) No standards whatsoever.

Moot point anyhow, I already passed on it because of the part of town that it's in, the amount of pay, and the fact that the one farther away is in a nice part of the country and should be a VERY good opportunity for me :)

We'll see after I finalize things on Monday - who knows, my current company may just fire my boss and give me his job and his pay :naughty:

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah, overhauling the place to fix someone else's mistakes could be a bitch, and might cost more than they want to approve. good luck with the other one

12. Scoob_13

Yeah, I don't see the company wanting to invest the amount it would have taken to bring them up to speed so that I could manage everything and remain sane :hs: