A&P Which is the better buy for me here ?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Demon, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Demon

Demon Member

I'm going to be purchasing my first DSLR and am wanting to do photography as a hobby.

As i'm only just getting into photography, I'll be wanting to do everything from sports, portraits, landscapes and nature to get a feel for what i'd like to focus more on.

These are the two options i'm considering:

Pentax K200D Digital SLR Camera + 18-250mm Pentax Lens - AUD $1415

or

Pentax K200D Digital SLR Camera + 18-50 and 70-300mm Sigma Lenses - AUD $1045.

I was thinking of adding lens as i go, but would prefer to get a kit setup whereby one lens or both lens dont end up as a paperweight in the near future.

From the above choices, from what i can work out the 18-50 would be ideal for landscapes and portraits, and the 70 - 300mm would provide a greater zoom than the 250mm Pentax ?

I'm a n00b, so please be nice :o:wavey:

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

so you've abandonded the nikon and canon already?

Why the pentax?

edit: I can't find ANYTHING on a Sigma 18-250mm lens. Tamron makes one, Sigma doesn't. Makes me question everything about the place you're looking to purchase from.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

he's talking about a pentax 18-250 :hsugh:

but what is your reasoning for going with a pentax? do you already have a bunch of pentax lenses?

4. Demon

Demon Member

No. Don't have any lens or anything at the moment.

Starting off from scratch.

Only reason i'm leaning towards Pentax atm is that i've held the Canon 400d and didn't really like the feel of it - it was awkward in my hands.

Held a Nikon D40 and it was comfortable

Held a Pentax K100D Super and it was both comfortable and felt like a solid unit.

I dont know.. i think i'm fairly confused on what to buy since i've been reading a LOT of reviews/forums etc.. and with everyone differing opinions, i've ended up chasing my own head up my own ass. :o

The Pentax k200d seemed like good value for money compared to the Canon 400d. However i dont want to be restricted with lens' for the future.. and i see that Canon has a huge range to choose from.. whereby Pentax is fairly limited, although you can use Sigma and Tamron - I've never used these to really understand the quality or lack of associated with these lens'.

5. Demon

Demon Member

Haven't abandoned the Nikon or Canon already...
    I just want to make sure that i make the right choice - with whatever brand it is.

After re-reading what i wrote in that other thread, i must agree what i said made me look like a total fuckhead... i must've been tired or something when i posted that :o

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Uhh, no, he isn't. :ugh: :squint:

Click on the link.

and I quote:

7. Demon

Demon Member

You're right.. i'm guessing it may be a typo. I might give them a call tomorrow and see what their story is.

Here's a link to the lens which is supposed to be in the kit
    http://www.pentax.com.au/pentax/index.cfm?pageID=4&modelID=49&

Either way, dont want to get sidetracked too much on the typo..

I dont want to get a DSLR and a year down the track think "fuck i'm a dickhead, i should have gone with the (insert camera here) instead"

8. Demon

Demon Member

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Check out a used Nikon D50.

10. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

read the caption under the picture of the camera and the title of the page, both say pentax 18-250. :hsugh: since both are mentioned, i'd assume that the one really included is the one that exists, but i would make absolutely sure before i bought anything.

11. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

In Australia, the Samsung GX10 is like $100 more than a K100D and it's a rebadged K10D.

So if you're looking at Pentax......check it out.