Which is more important for a used BMW: Age or Mileage?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by THT, Nov 4, 2007.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I've found two E39 M5s that I'm interested in.

1. 2000 / 34,500 miles / $33K
    2. 2003 / 47,000 miles / $40K

Both cars in California and are loaded. The 03 has some upgrades (audio, shifter, sway bar brackets) and is listed here The Yard Sale.

So what's more important for a BMW that has lived in CA; age or mileage? I'm pretty sure I can get the 2000 down to $30K-ish as KBB for that car in Excellent condition is $31K.

2. Maintenance is more important than age or mileage.

3. THT

Both cars have been dealer maintained.

4. Dealers do some scary things sometimes. Really though, if they have been maintained properly there's not going to be much difference between 34.5k and 47k miles. I'd take the one with fewer miles though, because it's 7 grand less.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Mileage is more important, as a general rule. If a car sits in a garage, the worst that can happen when you start it is you blow a hose or a belt. If a car gets beaten on every day, anything can go wrong when you start it up in the morning.

MG's right though, if it's been well-maintained (no bullshit about "oh, that's a lifetime fluid" or "oh, that part isn't a wear item") then it can have 500,000 miles on it and it'll run like a champ.

6. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

Review the service records and have an inspection done.

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Get a pre-purchase inspection done by the same tech on both cars, add his estimate to your purchase price, and buy the cheapest one.

On any M car maintenance is more important than age or mileage.

You aren't comparing a '94 318 vs. a '97 318.

8. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz I love hot girls.

Actually I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest the 03. I'm considering a M5 as a daily driver replacement, so I've been looking extensively into the cars.

Not only do you get the 01 - 03 enhancements (steering wheel from the E46 M3, new headlights/taillights, widescreen navigation, more reliable transmission, etc.), you'll also have a car that was driven more regularly.

Mjolnir is right - any M car is more about maintenance. But assuming both have equivalent maintenace records, I'd go with the 03 still. The M5s have a known carbon build-up issue with the engine. This will make your SES light in the dash show up (therefore not passing smog or emissions inspections). It does not have any known performance effects, but it's still a pain in the ass when it comes to registering your car. It's an $8,000 repair at the dealership, or a $900 software chip courtesy of Powerchip (which, in addition of making the SES light turn off, will give you a couple of horsepowers' boost).

The aforementioned carbon build-up problem is significantly less likely on cars that were driven hard as opposed to cars that were babied. Indirectly, this is more likely on cars that were driven daily as opposed to garage queens.

Good luck with your search. I may be joining you very shortly (either that, or hating you if I end up going with an E55 :p).

More information: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84422&highlight=carbon+build

Also, just FYI, the price on the 00 car is a little high (I've seen many examples go for a hair, as in $200, over $30,000 with around that mileage) and the 03 is priced fairly (assuming you care for the mods).

Edit: You should have no problem getting him down to $30,000 or so :). Also, keep in mind that these high-end cars never go for book.

9. professional-li

professional-li New Member

With BMW service records can be a pain! Look over the title, how many owners. Do you know anything of the history of the car? What's been replaced. BMW is known for some things, are they fixed?

I have a 97 540i it has over 100k and runs great!

Did the owner always let it warm up, bimmers dont like to drive cold...

10. Essence

Essence New Member

7 grand less??? i would go with the older one... 7k= new wheels, nice intake exhaust and some software. you'll be so damn happy then..

11. Essence

Essence New Member

97 121k miles :wiggle:

i let mine warm up long enough for the interior to be nice and toasty before i take off anywhere.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Bimmers also don't like to idle for long periods of time. It fouls the plugs.

13. Tvan

Tvan New Member

qft.

This is especially apparent in BMW's, I know of a few well maintained E30's that have logged over 300,000 miles.

14. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

id say on most cars in general unless its like a Honda or something maintenance>

15. Essence

Essence New Member

there is a guy on bimmerforums that just hit 600k on an e36 :wiggle:

16. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

they're only about 12k miles apart, get the 2003

17. THT

Getting a 335i 6spd in the spring.

18. Michael_Star

Michael_Star New Member

03, last of the e39 m5s. Does the 03 come with the CPO?

19. THT

Neither one was CPO.

20. Michael_Star

Michael_Star New Member

Id still go for the 03. You get the angel eyes, and led tail-lights.

21. arandall850

arandall850 New Member

I too would go for the 03 because of the CELIS lights and the tweaks to the interior as mentioned above (widescreen DVD nav, etc etc)

22. dka

dka Go Big or Go Home

i've never bought a used bmw before. If you purchase a bmw that is still under factory warranty from a 3rd party (non bmw dealer or private party), does the factory warranty stay with the car? Also, do you have the option to purchase an extended warranty as long as it is still within its factory warranty...even though you aren't the original owner?

23. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Yes.
    No, but our dealership would play games with the paperwork in order to make the car CPO.

You could also buy an extended maintenance contract, but I don't know if they still allow that.

Hit your local dealership and buy one of the service advisors lunch- they'll tell you everything you need to know, including how to screw BMW, for your $20.00.