which is better.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by that_one_guy, Aug 10, 2006.

1. that_one_guy

that_one_guy New Member

the CS or IT field? I'm just about to start college, and I signed up for CS, but after my summer job (IT dept. at local company) I think I'll like IT better. I don't know and the first year classes at the college I'm going to are the same for CS and IT. So what is the OT's stand on CS vs. IT?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

In general, do you want to spend the first 5 years of your career programming for moron bosses with unrealistic deadlines or cleaning the same virus off admins' PCs every week?

Also in general, someone with a CS degree can do IT if he wants, but someone who's doing IT can't do what a CS grad can. If you think you could make it through CS, do that. If you think you'd quit before you finished, do IT.

3. fr00t

fr00t New Member

You may be able to enrol as a Computer Science student and then change course to Information Technology before your second year as, if they share the same first year, you will still have all the prerequisite credits/modules. You should check with the course leaders at the University though.

As well as what 7960 said, you may also find that Information Technology is a more business oriented degree, whereas CS teaches more theory (and will usually let you chose form a much larger range of modules in your 2nd/3rd years).

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

First of all, you should do what you enjoy most. That applies more to a career then to a degree but it still has some applicability to a degree (not so much your choices because they are so closely related. It's more applicable to Biology vs CS degree type issues).

I've always approached my education by wanting to get the most technical degree I can. This is because when you have a degree that is very technical you can do other non-technical type work. However, with a non-technical degree you can't really do the technical type work. Ok, you can learn the tech stuff after school but it's hard to find a company that will hire you for it without the degree.

This applies to both the business and CS departments. i.e. If you have an accounting degree you can work in the management, finance, administration, accounting or almost any other department in a business. However, if you have a management degree, getting a job in the accounting department is going to be extremely difficult. The same goes for CS vs IT.

With a degree in CS you will be learning a lot of different things about programming and software development. You will also learn a lot about math (which I personally don't like as much) but it's very important to understanding why things work the way they work. With an MIS (Management Information Systems) degree or even CIS (computer science - Information Sciences), you won't spend nearly as much time programming and learning how computers work as you will with a straight CS degree.

This is the very reason I got my first degree in Accounting and I'm finishing up my second degree in CS. I spent 10 years working in the real world in between these 2 degrees and I can assure you that my accounting degree offered me much more flexibility then my brother that got a management degree. He's in sales and loves it....I personally HATE sales.

Keep in mind, MIS is more focused on management and business then CIS or even CS. I'm also not slamming MIS or saying that those degrees aren't valuable, they are. There is a need for people with those skills but just know that you will be competing for jobs with programmers that have the full-on CS degree. Many employers also only hire CS grads for their MIS positions.

Anways, I hope this helps. Good luck.