Which is better, DVD-R or DVD+R? Also what brand?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bojangles6, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

I'm having some problems with these new Memorex's I just picked up. They're DVD-R and I don't know if its just a conversion problem or what but when I put these disks in any type of DVD player it just says something like "Bad Disc" or "Disc Error" etc... So, thats brings me to this question. Which is better, DVD-R or DVD+R? Is there any pros or cons for either? Also, what brand should I get? I have a lite-on DVDRW, an older one. Got it around when DVD burners first came out.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

+r and -r doesn't matter really. most dvd players will play both formats. brand is up to you. lots and lots of people swear that verbatim is the best. i tend to go with whatever is on sale at the time

i think the factor that makes or breaks playability is the speed that you write it at. i tend to never write anything at over a 4x speed. even if it says 16x, don't get tricked into thinking that 16x is an ok speed to write a dvd video at.
    it's really stupid because i have several philips dvd players, in fact 2 of them are the exact same models. sometimes a dvd written at 8x+ speed will work in one dvd player, but will stutter a few times in the other dvd player, even though it's the exact same model.

although i'm sure this doesn't matter, i have had a liteon dvd burner crap out on me after burning several hundred dvds. it stopped wanting to read cdroms, cdrw, etc - but still burnt dvd-+rs fine. then one day it totally died. i got my money's worth out of it by that time

3. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

I read somewhere that +r's are more reliable, I'm looking for the link to back that up.

Here you go
    http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media/

The paragraph "Why DVD+r?" talks about why -r is inferior. But the whole article is good, it also talks about manufacturers and the type ink layers they use.

May be more info than you wanted, but hopefully it will help.

4. Bojangles6

Bojangles6 New Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lite-On anymore. I love their CDRW's but goddamn I have had nothing but problems burning stuff with my DVDRW (unless its HD backups or something). I'm not ignorant and hell I've done just about everything to try and figure out the problem. Last thing I can think of is just trying some different brands/- or +. I'm going to see if I can get a pack of Verbatims today. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them. Maybe its just that lite-on is picky or something. I sure hope so.

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

All burners eventually die with use. Lite-on is a good brand though.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Some drives are picky about media. I found that out the hard way before.

I usually buy from http://www.allmediaoutlet.com.

I don't know if they still do, but they used to sell sample kits where you get some blanks from a couple of different brands. You can try that and see what you and you drive likes and go from there.

videohelp.com does or used to have a section on drives and media where people would post reviews of drives and what media worked well.

HTH

7. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

IIRC some older burners don't support the +R format. or do they?

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

+1 for Verbatim. I get fast steady speeds on all of my burners with them.

A big plus for me is that a nearby Microcenter puts them on sale every so often.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Those experts at cdfreaks swear that +R is better.
    they typically recommend +R for movies, -R for data.

For brand,.... Ritek, TDK, Verbatim, Sony, Fujitsu, Maxell are some of the favorites. They say that those that are made from Japan are the best.
    (e.g. a Sony media made from "Japan" is better than Sony media made from "Taiwan".)

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my experience has been the exact opposite. -R for movies since they play in a linear fashion... And +R for data, since the format works better with non-continuous data.

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I never understood much (or didn't care) of their techno babbles.
    One thing I remember,... they say that the pre-groove write method (+R) handles electrical noise or interference better than pre-pits write method (-R). Video or audio is more susceptible to noise and corruption than data, so +R has the advantage here.

12. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I've never had an issues with -R media, so that is what I am sticking with.

13. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

Same thing, we might even go to the same Microcenter, I live in Ohio also. Near Cincinnati :)

14. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

I've never burned a coaster with the 50 Taiyo Yuden (sp?) brand DVDs I've burned

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm near the one in Mayfield Hts.

There's 4 or 5 of us from Ohio that post in here.

:h5: