MIL which is better...an HONEST opinion re: body armor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AlextheDroog, Apr 1, 2006.

1. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

Dragon skin or G.I.?

2. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

WASHINGTON — Soldiers will no longer be allowed to wear body armor other than the protective gear issued by the military, Army officials said Thursday, the latest twist in a running battle over the equipment the Pentagon gives its troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Army officials told The Associated Press that the order was prompted by concerns that soldiers or their families were buying inadequate or untested commercial armor from private companies — including the popular Dragon Skin gear made by California-based Pinnacle Armor.
    "We're very concerned that people are spending their hard-earned money on something that doesn't provide the level of protection that the Army requires people to wear. So they're, frankly, wasting their money on substandard stuff," said Col. Thomas Spoehr, director of materiel for the Army.
    Murray Neal, chief executive officer of Pinnacle, said he hadn't seen the directive and wants to review it.
    "We know of no reason the Army may have to justify this action," Neal said. "On the surface this looks to be another of many attempts by the Army to cover up the billions of dollars spent on ineffective body armor systems which they continue to try quick fixes on to no avail."
    The move was a rare one by the Army. Spoehr said he doesn't recall any similar bans on personal armor or devices. The directives are most often issued when there are problems with aircraft or other large equipment.

Taken from a thread over in DIACF.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2444164

3. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

yeah and???

its the same kind of subject but a DIFFERENT QUESTION

I'm asking the people you are experiencing it which is best or what THIER opinion is....

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

i read the DS was much more technologically advanced

5. avsp

avsp "And we won't be together much longer Unless we re

Create has a similar thread to this elsewhere in 'teh barracks'

Basically us saddoes over at diac would like your input as to the avialabilty of body armour in theatre & your views on the effectiveness, pros & cons, etc of the standard issue armour versus any other named brand

Direct experience only please.

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Check out this article. It has information as well as videos.
    http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=845

Basically the manufactorer of DS says its more effective and less fragile in then the IBA. It is more expensive as well. The US Army Natick Soldier center designed the IBA in house. The trouble has been trying to get the Army to test this armor out. I just read that the Army requested 30 sets of the DS armor for testing however. Once that happens and they Army put out their "analysis" we will see where it goes.

7. Create

Create :free at last:

Thread merge, please.

8. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

i seen the IBA work fine first hand multiple times