GUN Which is a better carry gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

East German Makarov (well kept) or a brand new KelTec PF9.

Lets just assume both pistols are going to work and freak reliability issues are not a concern. I'm looking for advice regarding both pistols specs, shooting characteristics, trigger feel, etc. I've never shot either one, but they both feel good in the hand. The KelTec is smaller, but is the Mak still concealable?

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

glock 26

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Of the two, and having owned/own both. I'd roll with the PF9. Easier to find defensive 9mm ammo, than 9x18.

Thinner, lighter makes it more comfortable to conceal. The Mak is a "tad" less harsh with regards to recoil. But with a BUG, shootability is not a factor.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

9x19 is easier to find and has much better terminal ballistics. The trigger sucks on both of them, as do the sights. Maks are small enough to conceal fine, but the PF-9 is definitely easy to conceal.
    I like my PF-9 fine, it's great for what it is. For under $300 new, they are reliable and they are the smallest 9mm with that capacity on the market. I've put over 500 rounds through mine so far with no issues.

If you want something nicer, I would suggest a used Glock 19 or 26. You can grab 'em for under $400 fairly regularly.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'm looking to spend a max of $300 which is why Glock was not an option. I'd love a Glock, and still plan to buy one, but not for this purchase.

Looks like the PF9 wins. I'm taking a friend's to the range this Saturday for a final opinion.

The best solution is to just buy them all lol. If only my wallet agreed.

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I've seen 2nd Gen G19's go for $300 once in a while, thats what I'd get.

If I find a used PF9 for around $200 though I'd buy it to leave in my truck.

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

save and wait till you have the extra $100 and get a glock

8. dangitsjonathan

dangitsjonathan New Member

+1 for the Glock 26, you may actually be able to find a cheap glock on www(dot)summitgunbroker(dot)com they have lots of used glocks for under 400 bucks.

9. dangitsjonathan

oh and if you check other forums like arfcom and stuff people are selling guns all the time. i had a buddy buy a like-new glock 26 from a local guy for 400, it still had the copper lube on the inside too.

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

or glocktalk.com

11. mstad

mstad New Member

Mosin.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I will keep an eye out for local glock deals, but I am very wary of buying a used gun online. I want to avoid at all costs buying a used gun sight unseen, then getting it and finding it's too big for me to conceal, or I can't shoot it well, or it has an issue, etc. I would buy a used gun if I could hold it and (hopefully) test it at the range.

I'm a small guy (5'10" ~150lbs) if that gives you an idea. The smaller Glocks would work, pretty much all KelTec's work, a few revolvers work, etc. But most mid-sized guns or bigger are just too bulky for comfort on me. :dunno:

13. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

keltec

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

have you fired any of the guns that you're looking at buying?

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Nope, just held them. Saturday I'm shooting the PF9.

The only pistols I've had range time with were two .45 1911's, .40 USP, some odd .380, XD .40, and some Hungarian 9mm. Most were full sized pistols, the .380 and XD seemed smaller but not "tiny". The PF9 seemed comparable in the hand to the .380, but probably has a bit more kick if I had to guess.

I've also shot two revolvers but they were probably my most unpleasant shooting experience ever. No idea what brand, one had a long barrel the other was snub-nosed. Both 38 special, both had mule like triggers, both had decent kick, and both shot powder (I think?) back at my face every round. It was fairly annoying, not a fan.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

try a glock 26 and 19. then when you realize that is what you want, find a used one on glocktalk or the EE on arf, or gunbroker. 90% of the time you'll be fine and you wont have anything wrong with the gun.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

As much as I appreciate the advice, it's still got to be under the $300 limit, and I still want to have it in hand before I make my decision.

I'm not willing to go out of my budget for a used gun, and I'm not comfortable enough buying a used gun sight unseen. Glock or otherwise. But I'll still be looking around for local deals if the PF9 ends up not working out.

18. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

your call

19. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

if you go for the 9x18 they have self defense ammo at aimsurplus.com. I've been debating picking up one of their cz-82's for 200 bucks since I went up their a couple weeks ago to pick up a rifle

20. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

Keltec. 9mm ammo is everywhere and inexpensive. Its also lighter, and the cost is close enough to be irrelevant. There are no positives towards the Markov to make it worth while unless you are going solely on looks/hey this is different.

21. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I purchased a PF9 a couple months ago, and couldn't be happier. I can't think of another gun that you can pay less for new, that would be a better choice. Very light, easy to conceal, and has NEVER FTF'd, FTE'd, etc EXCEPT with WWB ammo (dunno why, mine doesn't like it). I've had ~600 flawless rounds through it so far (again, except for the WWB). Can't beat a lifetime warranty and KT's customer service either.

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

used glock 26

going cheap on a carry piece = bad idea imo

i inspect and baby my carry guns like crazy cause i want to be as sure as possible that it will go bang when it needs to, you don't get a second chance

23. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

he doesn't want a "used" glock :mamoru:

24. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

hit the shows and shops etc. it's amazing how many people sell their gun with little use and the damn things are in great shape still. i certainly wouldn't buy a used carry piece if it looked like it has been through hell.

just save up a bit more and buy a new gun if you want but i wouldn't cut any ANY corners on a conceal carry piece

i own some cheap rifles, i own some cheap shotguns, i own some cheap handguns but my carry guns aren't cheap and i wouldn't cut any corners in that area

25. dangitsjonathan

haha i laughed when i saw this. someone should find that link where some guy threw his glock out of an airplane and it still shot.