GUN which eye dominant?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TATEROTE, May 6, 2009.

1. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

what's the easiest way to determine this?

watching fighting pistol and Yeager says to make a circle with your hand and focus on something small within the circle. bring it back to your face and whichever eye your circle ends up on, that's it. but wtf, there are always 2 circles.

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Aim a handgun. Once you've got the sights lined up, close one eye. If the sights are still aligned, your open eye is the dominant eye.

3. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

yea, i'm certain i'm right eye. just a little weird cause i'm now focusing on the front sight, rather than the target, and now i'm getting 2 rear sights and 2 targets, confused me. if that makes any sense at all.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

hold out your hand and make a OK sign with your hand. Decrease the circle of your thumb and index finger and look through the circle with both eyes. Slowly pull the circle towards your face while looking through it with both eyes. Your hand will stop in front of your dominate eye.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I had the same problem when I got contacts a couple months ago. Previously, my nearsighted-ness would pick up the front sight instantly but with contacts my eyes would naturally want to focus on the target.

It takes some practice to force your eyes to focus on the front sight, you'll get it, it just may take a while.

6. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

right hand goes to left eye, left hand goes to right eye

7. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I was taught a different method, instead of moving your hand try holding it still circling some distant object with both eyes open. Then close one of your eyes and if you can still see the object inside the circle that should be your dominant eye. With only the non dominant eye open the object should move outside of the circle.

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

point to something, close your left eye, if you're still pointing at it, you're right eye dominant. Try the same, but close your right eye, you should not be pointing at the intended object.

9. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

left with right, right with left. again.

10. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

EDIT: after more tests, this one is just as flawed, FML

11. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

is it possible to be x-eyed dominant?

12. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

13. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

14. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I was always told to hold up your pointer finger and align it with a corner. Then close one eye and see if it moves. If it doesn't move that is your dominant eye (the one that is open).

My left eye is my dominant eye which is great because I am left handed.

15. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

No idea. You will have to consult Google/WebMD, or even worse, talk to an actual doctor.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

My right eye is dominant but weak. Tests generally show the right as dominant but sometimes I can make the left show up. Where I really notice it is at the range. If I'm focused on the front sight of my pistol my vision will soon shift and my left eye will become dominant and then it appears the sights aren't aligned anyore. My understanding is it isn't entirely uncommon.

What I've found to help is to put a piece of scotch tape over my generally non-dominant eye's lens on my safety glasses. I still have some vision out of that side but it doesn't "take over". If I shoot like that regularly I find that its easier to keep the normally dominant eye dominant without the rigged glasses too. After a while though its back to normal.

Also don't be afraid to close the eye thats usually not dominant for a second before the trigger pull.

17. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

All these self-tests for eye dominance seem to assume that the person performing the test is totally unaware of the realities of binocular vision (and its associated double-images when the eyes aren't converging on something at that distance). I figured out that crap at a young age and find these tests annoying because they depend on ignorance and the subconscious to work.

I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant (weird because my vision is better in my right eye). I aim with my right eye because handedness effects my marksmanship by several orders of magnitude more than eye dominance. Since screwing it up means holding the weapon at an unnatural angle, I've yet to aim with the left eye and look at the target with the right...

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I was always told to make a triangle with your fingers in front of something in the room and close each eye independently and whichever you close and the item is still in the triangle is your dominant eye.

19. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'm right eye dominate, but it is also the eye with the strongest perscription lense.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

21. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I think you're missing the method here. If you look through the ring of your thumb and finger, or the diamond when your hands are overlapped partially, focus on the distant object, not the hand, and ONLY USE ONE HAND if you're doing the "OK" sign. I use the diamond method, since if obscures some of your vision and forces you to choose an eye in order to keep seeing as your hands get closer to your face.

22. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

pick a small spot on the wall around 10 feet away, give a thumbs up sign with both eyes open and cover the spot with your thumb. close one eye and then the other. If the spot stays covered your open eye is dominate, if it becomes uncovered you closed eye is dominate

23. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

that's the way we did it, back in school 20some years ago... when we had hunters ed in the schools.

24. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

put your fingers straight out, and your thumbs perpendicular to them. cross your thumbs into an x (your fingers should be perpendicular to each other) leaving a hole in the middle.

[​IMG]

focus on a distant object, and put your hands infront of your face, slowly bring it towards your face and it should go to your dominate eye.