which diet...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Candy3s, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

So Ive decided I really need to change my eating habits, once i go back to work I wont be able to work out every day and eating crap just wont cut it any longer. The problem is Im no good at looking at labels, I tend to cheat a lot, so Im looking for an actual "diet" to go on. Id like to get a book on it as well to kind of help me plan meals and such, so what are your opinions on what diets "works best" Im thinking either atkins or south beach right now.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

my parents have great results with the south beach diet. but the weight comes back eventually when they get off it. you just gotta change your lifestyle if you want a diet to work.

instead of following a strict meal plan, which gets boring after a while... pick something that is flexible but has guidelines you have to follow.

something like this:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473067

is a great diet if you can get yourself to follow it. It really only takes a week or two of watching labels before you have an idea of what you need to be eating and when

3. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

I'm going to get flamed for this...but weight watchers has worked well for my parents. It is flexible in that you can eat what you want, but they have a relatively strict system for tracking what you eat. They also have an online thing which prints out complete menus for the week, based on the points you get (which are based on weight). Personally I think that would be a good option if you really don't want to read labels constantly, but it will still require some work.

4. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

That's probably the best prefab diet, actually.

5. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

we've been through this little candy! youre making excuses before you even start, so youre setting yourself up for failure :(

maine hit the nail on the head.

6. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

weight watchers FTW! I'm on it right now. Down 53lbs since jan 1. It makes you pick foods with a good mix of calories, fat, and fiber. I eat tons of stuff and most everyone now a days comes in light too. I'd give it a go if I were you. It teaches great eating habits.

7. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Not necesarily. Some people work alot better when they have lots of structure. Some people don't like to have to figure out diet plans all on there own, and would rather have it laid out for them. The nice thing about Weight Watchers is that it definitely lays a plan out, but at the same time is helping change your habits about eating which will help a ton longterm.

The only bad thing I see about it is there is basically zero emphasis on protein, so i'm sure alot of the weight people lose is muscle mass. But then again, most people on it don't realize that and the loss of weight helps motivate.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  8. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

very well said

9. Candy3s

Candy3s OT Supporter

:wtc:
    this is my thing, I feel i dont need to go full out no carbs strict crazy diet going to the gym everyday because im not "overweight" id just like to trim a few pounds. Ive never been over 135 and thats even when im sitting around doing nothing and eating junk. So i figure if i can find a happy median between full out life style change and being a lazy bum ill be where i want to be.

10. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

you can do it... it gets easier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.