Which Diesel?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jerky1280, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jerky1280

jerky1280 Member

I'm looking to buy a truck. Want a late-model (2000-2004ish), low miles, less than $30,000. Requirements: extended cab, tow package, cd player. Nice things would be diesel, 4x4, 8' bed. It will be used for towing two horses maybe once a month, getting hay for said horses about as often. I'm looking for good gas mileage empty and loaded, ease and comfort of driving (for the SO), and durability. I plan on keeping this truck forever if it will last.

Any input guys, maybe differences between the diesels available? Thanks in advance!

2. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

Either the Cummins or the duramax. The new Cummins 03 i think, are better choices then the 98-02. Duramax had some problems in the first year.
    96 1 ton, duallys cummins got around 20 with any load. Diesels accelerate a little slower then gas rigs but they have lots of power.

3. Dr. Pnutz

Dr. Pnutz Guest

Cummins >*

4. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

5. jerky1280

jerky1280 Member

I've heard that the duramax generally gets worse mileage than the cummins or the powerstroke. Is that true?

6. butthair

butthair New Member

I know of a guy who has a duramax manual and got 18 MPG while towing a blazer with 44" tires. For how big the truck he was towing was, I think thats damn good. Cummins will last longer than the Powerstroke or the Duramax because the Straight 6 set up is a lot better for a diesel.

7. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Cummins

8. jerky1280

jerky1280 Member

After looking around in my area and learning some more, here's what I came up with:

Superduty 7.3L: Lots around, esp. in my price range. How does this engine compare with the newer 6.0L?

Duramax: Not many in my price range, period. I've heard from several sources about the 1st model year problems, what year(s) should I stay away from?

Cummins: A few in my price range, none of the '03+. What's the difference between the '98-'02 and '03+?

Thanks again guys!

PS - Any recommendations on good forums/web sites for more information?

9. Diesel66

problem with Dodge is their auto trans. They are crap and will have problems while the engines last a long time with regular maintance.
    24valve (98 1/2-02)problems

The 12 valve are mechanic injection and very simple.
    The Detroit Diesel 6.2 and 6.5 in GM are good engines for light duty trucks.

10. butthair

butthair New Member

My old man has a 94 cummins with the 12 valve and he is working on his 3rd trans and 200,000 miles. I have a 91 cummins and have 240K on my truck and I am still running the original trans with no signs of giving up yet. My truck has the 3 speed 727 in it though. My dad has owned the 6.5 GM also, and he hated it, lack of power and it only ran until 200K. He has owned a 6.5, 12 and 24 valve cummins and a 7.3 powerstroke and he has had the best luck on the 12 valve cummins'. I would say get a cummins but be careful of the auto transmissions.

11. jerky1280

jerky1280 Member

Since I'm only expecting to do occasional towing, and only 6-8k lbs at that, could I expect to stay clear of tranny problems with the cummins?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, at 6-8k lbs and occasional towing at-best, then you are within perfect territory for a Nissan Titan or Armada (depending on whether you want a truck or an SUV). Why not go that route?

13. Diesel66

No, their trannys suck.
    A titan would be a bad choice, 10 or less mpg plus that small engine would be working very hard.

A cummins or duramax can be made into a monster with some cheap upgrades. I am talking 600hp and 1000lb torque.
    Here is a 24valve Cummins doing sub 8 sec 1/4mile times
    http://www.cumminsracing.com/

http://www.cumminsracing.com/images/dragster%20vs.%2010%20second%20mustang.wmv

http://www.diesel-central.com/Video/Video.htm
    Check out the drag videos vs 5.0 Mustangs.

http://duramaxracing.com/

Mostly stock chevy with some 12sec`/4mile videos.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  14. figment

figment New Member

dont buy the old powerstroke 7.3, buy the 6.0. more power, better gas milage, and its not as noisy.

15. Stevecdn001

Stevecdn001 OT Supporter

Stay away from the earlier GM 6.5 turbo diesels, there maintenance nightmares.

16. jerky1280

jerky1280 Member

I wouldn't mind a titan, but I really am interested in getting a diesel. I'm not really interested in how much power they have, so long as it's enough to pull the horses w/out complaint. I drove a '94 chevy with the 6.5TD from LA to Seattle pulling the horses, and it performed well, but I think it had a higher geared rearend. Definently not really interested in racing or making huge power; going fast is what I have my sportbike for. I just want to be able to pull horses and hay without complaint, while getting reasonable gas mileage.

17. butthair

butthair New Member

200k isnt a lot of miles for a diesel. My truck has 240k on it and I beat the absolute shit out of it and it has no signs of giving up yet.

18. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

I have an 02 cummins 4x4 ex cab long bed 6 speed. etc...

I got it for 27k last year, so a similar truck would be cheaper now.

The cummins is an actual industrial motor that was never intended for truck use. The duramax and powerstroke were designed specifically for the trucks they are in. The cummins is a much more durable motor. You will not be disappointed one bit.

19. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Those aren't trucks, those are cars with a pickup bed. Even more important is they aren't diesel. Get out of here.

20. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

Thas not exactly true. International makes the Powerstrokes and uses them in all kinds of applications. Its pretty much exactly the same story as the cummins being used in Dodges.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  21. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

There are many advanteges to the 7.3 too, you need to do some research. Cheaper maintenace parts, like filters, and though it may initally have more power 7.3s respond to mods a little more, (it helps it has 1.3 liters extra in size) and more aftermarket parts right now. Personally I like the noise from the 7.3, just enough it sounds mean but not loud enough where its annoying at all. Though I don't even mind noise what so ever, I liked my old 12v cummins too, I love the rumble of a diesel. Makes me smile every time I start it up. I think my friends 6.0 sounds like its choking. They both have their agvantages. Which is better is personal opinion and personal preferance for each individual situation.

22. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

You will be happy with any of them, Ford, Dodge or Chevy. No diesel will have any problems pulling what you will be. Properly set up any of the newer trucks will pull 15-20 thousand lbs pretty comfortably. Go on what you like best for looks and interior.

23. figment

figment New Member

ive owned both, no need to research. the 6.0 is a much better motor and their are more upgrades for it. my 6.0 will walk away from my old 7.3. the 7.3 is a very good motor just not as good as 6.0