which combo for customers?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by justin30513, May 3, 2006.

1. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I'm about out of my Meguiar's products and have some questions before I re-order. I'm currently using Swirl Remover 2.0 followed by NXT liquid wax. I can't decide thought on what to order next.

Here's my options:

Werkstatts
    1) Prime
    2) Acrylic Jett
    3) Carnauba Jett

Optimum
    1) Optimum Compound
    2) Optimum Polish
    3) Optimum Spray Wax

I like that with the Optimum polish, I can remove it with the spray wax. This is a big time saver. Can you do this with Werkstatts products as well?

True, the Meguiar's combo is cheaper. It's almost twice as much to step up to either one. What would you all do?

Thanks,
    Justin

2. picus

picus New Member

Well the problem as far as I see it is they accomplish different things. The Opt combo is more versatile because you've got two polishes in there, both of which are reasonably aggressive for how they finish down. In the Werkstatt combo you have one "polish", but it's really just a finisher. I think it'd be better to compare the two options a little more fleshed out so each has a med cut polish, light cut polish, finishing polish, then the LSPs - then go from there.

As it stands I'd go with the Opt in a second, definitely way more versatile. Add some Menzerna IP and FPII or Megs 83/80 to the Werkstatt and I might lean that direction, but then you've added cost, which means you could throw some FMJ or EX-P etc... in the opt combo.

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I am definately leaning towards the Optimum prodoucts. After reading about them on Opt's site, they seem more of what I'm looking for....
    Quick and effecient.

I still can't get over using a spray wax to remove polish. Awesome! And it last for 3-5 months.

More comments please.

Justin

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What are you detailing goals for your customers? How many steps are you expecting to average per detail?

5. picus

picus New Member

Ya, I am not sure what prices you're paying, but if your lists were something like:

Menzerna IP
    Menzerna FPII
    Prime
    AJ
    CJ

and

Opt Compound
    Opt Polish
    OCW
    Menzerna FMJ / Acrylic Shield

They would be much more comparable. I guess like Scott said it'll depend on what kind of detail you're expecting to do. Cars in great shape, go with the werkstatt, cars that need compounding, go with the Opt.

6. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

2 steps really. Need a good, light scratch remover. Real estate agents get alot of tree branch scratches in the clearcoat. Also, I need a product that can be applied and worked with in the sun. I'm doing a bi-weekly services. They first have to do a major detail (full) with me and then bi-weekly mtc. washes. So, I need a wax product that acts like a booster once a month. This is why I'm leaning towards Optimum's products.

Occasionally I'm getting a car-freak like me that wants multiple steps. I'm seeing that what I'm doing currently is blowing their minds but would not satisfy me!

I do like to focus and learn one manufacturer at a time. I think this is why I've done so well with Meguiar's. But I'm always looking for quality not quantity in my work.

Thanks....hope I'm not rambling.

Justin

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Optimum works great on the sun for polishing, OCW is fine if you work fast. What you might want to consider is using a 50/50 mix of Optimum's Polish and Compound for most of your polishing since it finishes down LSP ready on most paints and using Clearkote's Vanilla Moose as your final glaze on paint that needs a clean-up polish after OP/OC and Poorboy's EX-P for metallics and lighter paints and EX w/carnauba for darker paints. That way you will have all products completely sun friendly.

I'd also consider Prime and Acrylic Jett or AJ-Trigger for shade details.