Which Car Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Hoser, Jun 29, 2007.

?

Which Car Would You Choose?

1. Audi A3 2.0 Turbo

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Volvo S40 T5

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Lexus IS250

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Infinity G35 Sedan

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Acura CSX

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Volkswagen GTI

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Hoser

Hoser Good day to be lifting these huge triangular weigh

My wife and I are looking at getting a new car (or even a used 2006 / 2007). We want something entry level luxury (4drs, leather, heated seats, bi-xenon's, etc). Keep in mind we live in Canada and are looking to spend between 35 - 45K. So far the options we have considered are:

Audi A3
    Volvo S40 T5
    Lexus IS250
    Infinity G35 Sedan

In a less 'luxury' segment, we are also considering the Acura CSX or a Volkswagen GTI. The GTI isn't quite the image we are looking for, but it's basically the same car as the A3 for 10K less. We looked at the Mercedes C230, but neither of us liked it, and the 3 Series BMW is over priced for what you get in my opinion.

Any other cars to look at?

2. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

S40 T5 for the win.

3. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

GTI. They are FUN.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

S40. The GTI is too small; it doesn't even approach "entry-level luxury".

5. Virality

Virality New Member

I voted A3(because I was rushing and thought it said A4)....so disregard one, and the G35 is my second choice.

I haven't driven it, but it looks amazing, and how bad could 306 horses possibly be?

6. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

GTI with DSG. I can get a new one cheap because of a connection I have at VW. I have driven it and it's excellent for the price.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Some of these cars are NOT in the same league. The GTI is several marks below the Volvo, and the Volvo is several marks below the G35.

I say G35. 2nd choice is Volvo (but it's smaller).

Don't do the lexus unless you do the 3.5L

8. Hoser

This weekend I drove a 2007 Volvo and a 2007 Audi A3. Despite the Volvo having more horsepower, the Audi seemed much quicker and more nimble. The volvo felt heavy at slower speeds, but once you reached cruising speed ont he highway, it felt like a much more stable car. The DSG tranny in the Audi was incredible. I have never driven a car that shifted like that before. It was literally instant, with no lag or lose of forward momentum whatsover. It is the best auto tranny I've ever been in. The fit and finish of the Audi also seemed alot better then the volvo, but the options aren't the same. Audi nickel and dimes you for everthing. Both cars I drove were stickered at 48K (keep in mind the CAN dollar is almost on par with the US now), but the volvo had more standard features. I am hoping to drive the G35 soon, but my mind is far from made up.

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

IS250 AWD.

10. red97gst

red97gst New Member

I've driven the IS250, in a stick shift, and if you are planning to get an Auto then forget about it. Even with the manual tranny it has absolutely no balls. The 350, on the other hand, is very powerful. If that car came in a manual tranny it would be in my driveway right now. Although the auto does a pretty decent job with it.

Why aren't you considering the A4 2.0T? Price too high, I imagine. As an american i cant comment on the Honda Civic, errr, Acura CSX... You can also consider the TSX and TL if those are available in canada...

If the G35 is on your list, certainly the other acuras are affordable as well.

Bang for the buck, the G35 and Acura TL are hard to beat, but it comes down to if you need it. If you don't need a lot of power, the G35 isnt' a great car for canadian climates unless you get the pricier G35x.

Honestly I'd take a look at the Subaru Legacy GT as well....The '08 is more luxurious than past models, (not at the audi or VW level of course) and has AWD, nice HP, and a decent price. Resale value is better than the German cars too...

I like the S40 a lot, if you're gonna lease or only keep the car for 3 yrs then I'd prob get the S40. But every one I've driven always makes strange humming and mechanical noises, INconsistently, and I worry about the reliability, although I've heard it's not too bad.

Have you considered the Jetta? Or a Passat?

11. Hoser

Two of my friends already own a TSX and TL, so I would like to avoid one of those. They are great cars though.
    The G35x is more then I would like to spend.
    I am really leaning towards either the Audi A3 (although i can pick up used 2006 A4 for about the same price as an A3) or the Volvo S40. I enjoyed the Audi much more then the Volvo, the fit and finish was just out of the Volvo's league. It turns out that the Volvo is the only one on the list that I can actually get serviced in my home town, all the rest are a minimum 1.5hr drive to the nearest dealer. That is definetely swaying me. The Volvo was nice, but it really didn't stand out.
    My wife wants a 'luxury' brand, which is why we haven't looked at the Subaru or the volkswagens (the GTI was my choice as I used to own an MKII).

12. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

A3, then GTI.

13. Hoser

I am hoping to test drive a GTI in the next week or so. It's hard to justify the extra 10K for the A3, when the GTI is basically the same car

14. deusexaethera

The votes for the A3 have climbed impressively. If you decide to get one, be prepared to pay a couple thousand a year in maintenance.

15. e55AMG

e55AMG New Member

I'd get the A3, though if you can splurge a bit more, the S3 is even better.

16. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

las gen G35 or the Volvo

17. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

My dad bought an A3 3.2 a couple of months ago. I'll be interested to see how it holds up.

18. deusexaethera

Yeah, it's a great car with a maintenance tab that can put a kid through private school. I'm being completely serious.