Which brand is better in car audio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scuba, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Scuba

Scuba New Member

OK currently I have a 10" kicker sub capable of 300watt RMS bridged to a 150watt kicker amp. I'm planning on upgrading my system with a big check I'm getting. I'm thinking of buying a rockford fosgate amp and possibly sub. What is everyone that knows about car audio's opinion on kicker and rockford? Which do you think is better? Should I just get a more powerful amp for my kicker sub? Should I get a kicker amp again? This sub is in an extended cab pickup btw sitting on the back seats in a small nonported enclosure. Would upgrading the amp make the sub sound any better?

2. 04

04 Guest

Kicker is not necessarily better than Rockford, and vice versa. At least provide a specific product for an opinion on it...

It depends on your sub, but my guess is that buying a new amplifier for the subwoofer wouldnt provide the gains you would be looking for.

Upgrading the amplifier will only make the subwoofer get louder.

My suggestion is to either get another of the sub you already have, or buy a better subwoofer. And buy a new amplifier. However, if you only have enough money for 1 item, I would suggest buying another subwoofer.

3. Scuba

Scuba New Member

why would i buy another subwoofer though? this amp is only putting out 150watt rms. the sub can take 300watt rms. sometimes the amp overheats and stops playing. will buying a stronger amp make it thump harder or anything.

4. 04

04 Guest

Well if your current amplifier overheats maybe its time for a new one. What I meant by buying another subwoofer is that perhaps buying another kicker, the same as the one you have now, so that you have two subwoofers. And run that off a new amp, and it should get quite a bit louder, and wont shut off.

5. denim

denim New Member

well....Iam a long time kicker and RF fan, currently I am running some of each, but Kicker is about to lose Alma Gates to JBL, and their marketing direction has been all about sports and not really audio, which is really odd, but RF has been makeing advancements almost every year for the past few years, I have heard some insider info that RF is redesigning again this year, and is building a massive SPL comp amp, basically 2 bd1501.1's back to back, kinda like the Zapco 4Kw, but not as many watts

6. pwrhockey

pwrhockey New Member