Which bodybuilding books do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Scat, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scat

Scat King of Cool

Hey guys, I want to start some weight training and I don't know what book to buy. I'm 5'4" 100lbs male, and I want to gain 20lbs and some muscles and definition in about 6 months, and anything after that I'll probably just need to maintain. I'm not looking to be a huge guy. Here are the ones I'm looking at:

Men's Health: The Book of Muscle--The World's Most Complete Guide to Building Your Body
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579547699/ref=pd_cp_b_title/002-5133024-8815240

This one seems to be an all around good book. The problem with the book reviews on Amazon is people say "Nice pictures, good book" but they don't explain if they used the book and what results they got.

The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Encyclope.../002-5133024-8815240?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

This one is the most popular bodybuilding book on Amazon, and it was the one I was leaning on, but a lot of comments are saying that only the genetically gifted could follow Arnold's advice without burning out, and saying a lot of the form and exercises in the book are unsafe. Other people are saying its the most comprehensive book on the market. I know I can't train 6 times a week. Realistically, I could train 3 times a week.

The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique
    http://www.amazon.com/Insiders-Tell.../002-5133024-8815240?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

This one isn't as popular but lots of people seem to hail Stuart McRobert's technique. Once again nobody really says what results they get. Does this HIT thing really work? It seems to be highly contested. I might get this book just because I need a good guide with pictures to what my form is supposed to look like.

I would really appreciate any advice. I'm definitely going to be hanging around here as my training begins. I'm really committed to doing this, and no this is not a new year's resolution, this is a long term goal. :)

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Encycloped...283155&s=books

This one is the most popular bodybuilding book on Amazon, and it was the one I was leaning on, but a lot of comments are saying that only the genetically gifted could follow Arnold's advice without burning out, and saying a lot of the form and exercises in the book are unsafe. Other people are saying its the most comprehensive book on the market. I know I can't train 6 times a week. Realistically, I could train 3 times a week.

WIN.

3. Scat

Scat King of Cool

Do you use the book? What kind of results have you gotten?

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I was going to pick that up as well... If you search, I created a similiar thread a few days ago.

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

I have it.. just lots of good info, great pics and a LOT of motivation.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Motivation is good.

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

anything by Pavel Tsatsouline

8. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I do and have been on his 6day a week work out plan. Great gains and strenght and size. Excellent buy...

9. Scat

Scat King of Cool

Well I broke down and got the weight training technique book, because I'll need to know the proper form before I even start considering what routine to do. It seems like you guys are leaning on the Arnold book so I might get that next, but I heard a lot about burnout and the muscle's need to relax. If you guys are getting results though, maybe I should give it a shot.

10. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Yes you can burn out with aronld training, remeber he was on drugs. The trick is learn form. So start out with very low weight and get the form right. His book does explain things about form so add it to your collection when you can.

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Beyond Brawn is probably the best. The Poliquin Principles is good but no longer in print.

12. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i picked up arnolds book and recommend it. it has the basics to everything regarding bbing. i bought it mainly for the section of exercises/lifts and techniques.

his routines were pretty advanced though

13. Mogul

Mogul New Member

The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding is OK, but there is not enough recovery time in that system for a natural bodybuilder.

If you are just starting out and have never done this before you might try body-for-life. Its not hard to understand and is a good system for beginners. I started with the body-for-life book and grew from there. One word of caution though: the guy recomends the use of his products and there is a major conflit of interests there. I.E. he says you should be taking creatine then trys to sell you his. You dont need suppliments when you are just starting out imo.

14. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

The Encyclopedia...by Arnold.

GREAT piece, gives you a lot of basic knowledge and understanding...but like mentioned, a lot of the routines there aren't for beginners or most gym goers....Great read to find some key exercises though.

15. Scat

Scat King of Cool

There's some good advice here, that body-for-life book sounds interesting too (as long as its not just for people trying to lose weight). I'm going to hold out on purchasing decisions until the first book arrives and I'll see what else I need to know.

Is the advice from "Beyond Brawn" that you only need to do Bench Press, Squats, and Deadlifts to gain muscle valid by the way?

16. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

that was his previous book, "Brawn"

17. Mogul

Mogul New Member

Sounds good. You also may want to see if any of these books are at a local library and save a little money that way. Body-for-life has a muscle gaining section with exercises and a fat loss section with cardio advice. At your weight I would disregard the fat loss info... I think you need to put on a little weight not lose some. The good news is that the weight training section calls for 3 sessions a week which is what you said you wanted and it does not call for anything that might hurt a beginner such as doing too few reps with a ton of weight.

To spoil the suspense in the body-for-life system you do sets of 12-10-8-6-12-12 back to back with a strict one minute rest between sets. You increse the weight on each set up until the last set of 12, where you bring the weight down a little and do a different exercise for the same body part. If you do it right you are exhaused after the final 12 reps.

Bench Press, Squats, and Deadlifts are all great and essential exercises but I would not want to limit my workout to only those exercises. I get much better results using a variety of different exercises for each body part so that my body doesn't get used to just one motion.

18. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Most of A.L Rea's books are good.:hs:

19. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Either the Arnold book or Bill Pearl's Keys to the Inner Universe.

I would never follow the arnold routines and shit though but its a nice history of bodybuilding and has a bunch of good info.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  20. Scat

Scat King of Cool

You're right Mogul, I'll check my local library for some books. And thanks for explaining the body-for-life system.

Yeah I read that before, hahaha. I don't think that's completely true though.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Arnold's book is great motivation, awesome pictures and exercise descriptions, but you can't follow the routines in there, especially if you're a beginner. However, for those other reasons, it's worth getting it if you can afford it (the softcover is cheaper).

Then you might want a book on designing programs, such as Prescribed Exercise by IART. You won't find that book on amazon, tho.

22. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Not really a body building book, but super training is pretty good

23. caribou

caribou New Member

arnold's book is great for motivation, which is one of the keys to success when it comes to committing to a fitness regimen. it is truly an encyclopedia you can go wrong by buying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.