SRS Which antidepressants have worked well for you?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by busydoingnothing, Mar 19, 2007.

1. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I used to take Effexor, and honestly, I don't think it did a lot for my depression. It did cut down on some of the physical anxiety I felt, but I never really noticed a major difference with the depression. Since I got off it, I've been pretty much against antidepressants, but as of late, I've been extremely down, obsessing a ton, and I just really, really need something to help me. I never take part in my creative endeavors (writing, music) because I just never feel up to it. I put in minimal effort in everything else, and I really feel like I'm just wasting my life away (still). If it helps to know, I suffer from depression and OCD, and I could quite possibly be ADD/ADHD.

So, which antidepressants have you taken/are you on, and which have worked well for you? I'm afraid of the sexual side effects, as I got those with Effexor. I hear Wellbutrin has the least.

2. 88 Notch

88 Notch New Member

It seems each medication affects people differently. I was on Effexor for a few years but it seems to be less effective over time. Therefore you must increase the dosage. There were not too many side effects for me other than feeling lathargic and sort of out of it. I finally came off because I didn't really feel anything anymore.
    Before that I was on Welbutrin, it was terrible for me. Made me suicidal.
    Before that I was on Paxil, was too many side effects. Also a real tough one to come off.
    Now I'm not on anything but have a lot of trouble coping and basically feel hopeless, like life is always going to suck, I'm never going feel normal, etc.

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Diet (more omega3's, less fatty cold cuts and lots more whole wheat products) and lots of intense excersize did a lot more than any of the meds I tried. Psychotherapy was also really helpful and I wanna get back into it, but have no time.

4. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Wellbutrin would be good to try since it helps with ADD symptoms too.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

prozac worked great for me.

It's all hit/miss though. One newer one may not work any better than an older SSRI.

6. Isaac

Isaac New Member

Bingo, that and having a lot of stuff to keep you busy. The less you have to do, the more bored and depressed you get.

7. SFLegend

SFLegend .

Well. I've tried multiple SSRIs for almost 2 years and nothing really worked. It wasn't until I started taking an MAOI before I started noticing some kind of change. Usually taking an MAOI like Nardil or Parnate is a last resort though.

8. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Those MAOI's are scary. Knowing you can die from eating cheese would keep me on edge like crazy! There are far too many lifestyle restrictions to consider MAOIs unless you have a truly intractable case of depression/anxiety/etc.

Anyway, I would imagine a combination of ERP (Exposure/Ritual Prevention) and a solid SSRI like sertraline would do very well for you. I would stay away from an amphetamine-based ADHD treatment, and go for something like Straterra, although there are (minimal) sexual side effects associated with it, reason being that amphetamines are likely to increase your baseline anxiety which hampers the effectiveness of OCD treatment.
    If the ssri doesn't work you could consider an atypical antipsychotic, like risperidone. It works wonders with OCD.

9. IStandalone

IStandalone EssentialDucati

Prozac has worked well for me, it's done wonders for my depression and social anxiety

10. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I was on prozac for a while, seemed to help, then I just quit taking it.

I want to stop taking adderall too (granted I'm still not talking about an anti-depressant), the side effects suck :sad2:

11. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Prozac and Trazadone helped for a while, years ago, but the Prozac just quit working one day. My psych said that often happens. I've been on many since then and it's basically trial and error for everyone is different. I'm not on a cocktail of 6 psych meds and still have a lot of issues. Good luck with it.