MIL Which AF bases should I ask to go to?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ManinCamo, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Filling out my location dream sheet today. Where would you go?

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Depends on what you like to do and what type of climate you like.

3. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

what afsc? what choices do you have?

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

AETC BASE FOR TEH LOOOOOOOOSE!!!!! r

5. spades

spades George P. Burdell II

Ramstein ftw

6. gookarachie

gookarachie New Member

Looks and sound slike a nice place to me.

7. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

33s1 - communucations officer. Pretty much any and everywhere is open for me.

8. evan2

evan2 Guest

Im at fairford right now... its nice but small if you like a small and i mean very small base then go for it
    base housing is dope here depending on how many people in your fam and how much stuff you own
    the 2 bedroom townhouse for wife and I wasnt enough plus garage are on a waiting list and id prob never see one

fuck that.. wemoved downtown which sucks cuz its like 18 miles daily

area is beautiful and this is one of the most expensive places to live inthe world.. the cotswolds are the best looking places to go in the uk...

now onto bases, tyndall bleh why.. the base isnt all that and the area blows ass

Eglin FTW, area rocks and the base isnt all that bad.. comm is pretty straight over there but being so big there is a bit of work

It depends i pick my bases around the area I want to be, not really because the job is easy or they havenice things... pacaf sounds nice becuase of all the money they have, being in a one deep slot here the money for my job for things its small so for once I have to budget it and thikn what I really need
    and what TDYs I want to go on

dream sheets are nice, mine kept me getting this slot here..because I put in for fairford being it was on the equals list

didnt get it at first becuase I still had my INBOP active though it would only cross over a month ,theycould of removed it.. fucking afpc

so like 4 others got it, the new cycle opened up and I got an email from dude I replaced.. granted it was so late that I didnt get to meet him and had no overlap.. which sucked but i made it

I dont know if they just said oh well he wanted it or well its number one on his dream sheet, hes got over 5.5 years on eglin..

Imo if you want to go somewhere just do korea for a year vol, and then pick
    Id love to go to aviano or Moron Spain
    Moron is dope though small its right near seville

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Aviano FTW. You have the entire boot of Italy to roam around in, plus you are nestled right up against the Italian/Swiss Alps and you have all of Europe at your doorstep!

10. evan2

evan2 Guest

word i heard bad things about ramstein.. its nice but not for a long time, they got money but i heard things are fucked up there

mildenhall was a nice base, very well layed out and well built.. compared to fairford ahhah...

if we didnt have an airfield here my job would be cake.... damn longest runway in europe and we have no planes here hahah

11. Ranger-AO

My first son was born at RAF Mildenhall. I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters at the time. Mildenhall/Lakenheath got all the good stuff while Bentwaters/Woodbridge got the shit. :madfawk:

12. evan2

evan2 Guest

trust me I know how much the roads suck, damn blind curves everywhere.. its fun and all but them narrow roads
    meh waiting for the day I lose a mirror.. if I get in no accidents in 3 years here then I am the greatest driver ever...

13. Ranger-AO

Look right! :eek3:

14. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

ifyou contact AFPC and ask them nicely you would be shocked at what they can do for you... or some are just lucky hell eglin was my first assignment
    Though after 3 years I had orders to kunsan but the MPF jacked up my INBOP and I had short tour credit coming from 6 month deployment during OIF that wasnt in the system yet

so technically the system would have beat me and I would prob be single right now.. oh noes stupid INBOP haah damn you.. i could of been in italy now chillling

16. Ranger-AO

For my money, Aviano wins. Hands, and pants, down.

17. insomnia

insomnia New Member

don't put spangdahlem

18. insomnia

insomnia New Member

pray to god you don't put spangdahlem

19. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Nellis.
    though I may be biased.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remember who is based here.
    [​IMG]

20. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Patrick AFB in Cocoa beach, FL

21. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

Bang for your buck experiances overseas include (in my opinionated order):

Ramstein: It is little America with the largest population of US Citizens living on foreign soil. That makes it easy to enjoy the overseas experiance but also get a dose of the US when you want it..1 hour South of Frankfurt, FRG and 4 hours West/Southwest of Paris France. You can also be in the Netherlands in 4 hours, Stuttgart, Germany in 4 hours, Munich, Germany in 8 hours, Poland in 8-12 hours, and Austria in 4-5 hours.

Mildenhall:~2 hours north of London, England; Mildenhall is a smaller base than Lakenheath but the village is better as is the ammenities on the base. (It's only 15 minutes from Lakenheath.) The deployments are better from Mildenhall also. Not to mention.. THEY SPEAK ENGLISH... and don't forget.. MIND THE GAP!

Aviano: A large base in Northern Italy. The base has a good support infrastructure; the locals predominately like americans. Aviano is centrally located also. The only reason why it's #3 is they are #2 for deployment taskings in the USAFE AOR (Lakenheath is #1). You can see a lot of things and have a great time. Aviano is 45 minutes south of AFSOUTH (Allied Air Forces South) a NATO component command/Combined base with a few americans. You are also close to Camp Darby, Italy (Army) and a US owned recreation lake (someone help me out here..)

Moron: Located at the Southern end of Spain; Moron is a small base/GSU under Aviano..From what I saw of the base when I was there it wasn't too bad. You are also close to NAS Rota so you have squids there too. I've heard the spanish don't like americans there. But I did spend a few months in Barcelona and I loved EVERYTHING there. Might be worth going to just keep in mind that Spain has the largest active indiginous terrorist organization at the moment (ETA: Basque Seperatist).

Incirlik: If you get over the fact that the base is located in Southern Turkey less than 100 miles from Syria and approximately 300 miles from Iraq and the fact that the people in Incirlik Village are some of the poorest in the country (and that they don't take showers regularly nor brush their teeth); it isn't that bad. I spent two years there before the war and to be honest with you it was one of the greatest assignments of my career. Every squadron over there has very good commraderie. For those people that say Korea sucks.. etc.. I implore them to go to Turkey because we had no Juicy girls, no exercises (Because we are so close to Syria), and no shit real world military stuff. Hrmm.. Old Turkish law says that you must be married to have sex.. and most girls that are in Incirlik Village were raised traditionally so not very many opportunies in the local area. However, a two hour drive and you will be at kizkalesi (Castle by the sea) which is a castle in the Med. It is pretty much a resort town with lots of hotels and clubs and nice white sand beaches. They cater to americans. You can also travel 8 hours up the coast to Alanya and it's pretty much like Cancun there. Most low to middle class europeans go there to vacation so you can have a blast there. Also if you like biblical stuff; Turkey is ground zero for those types of things.... I don't know.. there was sooo many things to do there; the only reason you were ever bored is because you were lazy...

22. insomnia

insomnia New Member

99% of people won't ever see that either, it's on the flightline

23. evan2

evan2 Guest

not sure about other AFSCs but all of the good bases that are minimal manned are for e7s and some e5/e6 slots

mostly remotes, granted some of the better bases you cant go with my job but for the most part im all over

id love to go to macdill though its a HQ base... but tampa is all me man.. id dig it

nellis looks dope and 2 of my boys from eglin are there now.. id love to go but the wife would hate it.. hahaha

im not really sure where I want to go next, id like to go to cali , moron, italy
    maybe japan but idk i kinda miss the states as sad as that sounds
    things are just a tad harder here plus the biggest downfall of england is the exchange rate....

if we had euros it would be a tad better...

24. evan2

evan2 Guest

emerald coast.. i just left Eglin and was there 5.5 years and I know just about everything about downtown partys hahaha... so just ask away

25. evan2

evan2 Guest

i was on the flightline at aviano once after a deployment.. and I was hooked from there
    the view of the mountains from the flightline was dope, it was foggy but you could see

same in portugal, the mountain view from the runway was nice, though it was like 3am...