GUN Which 9mm as a first pistol?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by VWguy73, Jun 11, 2009.

1. VWguy73

VWguy73 Of course I want free pie and chips

Newly married and recently bought our own home. I want to get a handgun for a few reasons.

1) I want to gain some experience with firearms
    2) I would like to go to the shooting range occasionally to shoot some rounds.
    3) I'd like to have something in the event that someone broke into the house.

I can spend no more than $500 total (tax, cleaning kit, ammo etc...) as my wife is very hesitant to have a gun in the house in the first place, let alone the expense.

I am seriously considering a brand new Ruger P95 9mm. I also looked at a Taurus 24/7. The Ruger is $349 at the shop and the used Taurus 24/7 is priced at $399.

I would just like some thoughts for or against the models mentioned above, or if there are any I haven't thought of that you would recommend, i'm all ears.

Please don't tell me to spend more, as I really am not in a position to do so.

Thanks in advance.

2. The majority answer here, and for very good reason, will be a Glock. I'd explain it all, but I have to go run some errands. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can spell out all the banafits of the Glock.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Glock 19. You can probably find one used for under 500 if you try hard enough. Just about any decent gun will run you over $500 if you include ammo in that.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Go rent a bunch of handguns and buy a good brand (Glock, Springfield, HK, S&W, etc.) handgun that you shoot well that is within your budget. Practice with it and develop the mindset to use it should the need arise. Buy training and alot of ammo. Having every Snap-On tool ever made doesn't make you a tuner and having the most awesome gun in the world doesn't mean shit if you can't use it when you need it.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with buying a used Glock. If you shoot them well and it's out of your budget new, look for a used one.

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Find a used Glock.

6. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

<--- See AV or G19.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

for that price M&P or glock

8. Finest

Finest OG #93

Used Glock.

Easy to maintain (which means nothing), easy to shoot, reliable, and did I mention easy to maintain?

9. VWguy73

I will check into the location I was at today (University Gun and Pawn here in Tampa) and see if they have any used Glocks. Is there anything that should discourage me from the Ruger other than the fact that Glocks seem to be better overall?

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

There is no right or wrong answer here, as long as the weapon is reliable.

Glocks are greats for reliability and if they work for you then get one, that being said I hate them, they don't feel comfortable to grip, I like a manual safety and honestly I an biased to weapons with an external hammer (just personal preference.)

I have a couple 9mm pistols and my buddies have a few more, by a mile my absolute favorite is a FN Browning Hi-Power (mine is a collectible with sentimental value so my nightstand gun is actually a FS92 just so if I have to use it I am not heart broken if it winds up in an evidence locker), while my GF's is an old Nazi Luger. Your best bet is to try a few out by renting them at a range or going to the range with a friend, but if that is not an option at least go to a gun store or gun show to handle and inspect all the 9mm pistols you can, then when you know what feels good go online and research those models.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

here you go...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1838356.html

This would be your very best bet, but you should shoot one first. In terms of your requirements, this will fit the bill perfect.

12. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Glock, XD, M&P

13. VWguy73

I appreciate any input I can get. I definitely value the opinions of those that have more knowledge than I (which is basically everyone). I don't need anything fancy or impressive, I just need something that is reliable and user-friendly that will serve it's purpose.

I did handle the Taurus and the Ruger today and the Ruger was heavier than I thought it would be. The Taurus felt good but a little small compared to the Ruger (it's compact).

I like the idea that the Ruger is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty and is brand new.

14. VWguy73

Thank you, I will definitely look into it. I plan on going back to the store to check the 17 out anyway. Can someone tell me how buying online works?

Sorry for my newb questions, but I want to be as informed as possible.

15. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I prefer a gun that I don't need to worry about needing to exercise the warranty. :)

The one thing I caution with the Glock is it does not have an "active" external safety. It has three safeties that all disable simultaneously as you pull the trigger but someone new to firearms may fail to observe the four rules and have a negligent discharge.

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

For what you can get used police trade in Glocks for, it's hard to go against them. Other choices I've seen going cheap are S&W M10's (357 wheel guns, which shouldn't be discounted IMO), 3rd gen S&W autos (underestimated IMO), and some of the surplus stuff (CZ82 and Maks).

17. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Being that you're in Florida and that guy is in Missouri, you'll have to arrange for a transfer to take place between a FFL (any gun shop or pawn shop should do this) and the guy you're buying from. Expect to pay a fee of twenty bucks or whatever. You'll make arrangements with the guy from Summit, and he'll instruct you. You'll put a money order for the appropriate amount in the mail along with the FFL information required... probably a photocopy of the FFL of whatever shop you're working through. You'll send this with a delivery receipt, which will cost a couple bucks but you'll know he's got the money. Then he'll mail your firearm to your FFL, you'll pick it up, pass a federal background check (if you're a legal resident with no felonies you're probably gonna be just fine), and then you'll take home your Glock.

Glock is the correct answer by the way.

18. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Just to point out, a Smith&Wesson Model 10 is a .38Spl. Shooting--or, trying to shoot--.357 Magnum in it would result in bad things. If you could even close the cylinder with Magnums in it.

19. VWguy73

I am definitely going to look into the glock. I am a big guy (6'3" and 280) so I don't know if I would have a difficult time carrying the 17 if I decided to do so eventually.

Hopefully i'll be able to get to the store this afternoon and check 'em out!

20. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

If I have time I'll post a picture of me CCing my G17 with a 33rnd Mag and I am 5'11" 190.

21. P-chan

P-chan New Member

:rofl:

VWGuy - a used Glock 19 is going to probably be the best fit for all your needs, reliable, cheap, easy to carry if needed, great aftermarket if you really get into it.

I know guys who have been shooting for 20 years and the Glock 19 is their primary weapon - they just haven't found anything better over the years.

22. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

This is a bad place to ask for recommendations about anything other than Glock/XD/1911's...

That being said, You can get a new Ruger SR9 for $399 (stainless model) in some places. The SR9 is Ruger's new striker fire pistol, very similar to a glock but with a much thinner grip.

You need to go to your local gun store and hold different guns to see how they fit. The Glock is going to feel much different then say an M&P etc...

23. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

beretta model 92

24. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Glock 19.

Win.

25. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Whatever you go with... don't go for a hi-point. Cheap price may entice you but they're udder shit.

S&W/Glock/Ruger/XD would fit your bill as all said. Personally I'd opt for the XD myself. You'd have to go fondle & molest em to find what fits you best. My wife carries my smith 659 as she likes the weight of it (less recoil for her as compared to the Taurus 9mm that I had).

Glocks are point & shoot, but so are the XD as well (for the most part). Best self defense is a non-external safety.