Which 22" monitor do I want? v. and a couple other questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Please note that I HATE monitors with that shiny screen coating where when the screen is black you can see your own reflection. I also want a thin frame and no speakers.

Acer X221W
    Acer AL2216WBD.
    Acer [SIZE=-1]AL2223WD (wtf they make three?)[/SIZE]
    Samsung 225BW
    Samsung 226BW (altho I saw this one and it's kinda fugly altho supposedly it performs much better than the 225BW that it replaced)
    The Dell one that is $297 right now (I've heard some not-so-good thinigs about this one)

I already have two 17" LCDs and I'm getting this one for two main purposes: watching movies/tv (tv card) and making bigger stock charts. Right now I only have two video outputs so I'll use it with one 17" LCD but eventually I want another vid card so I can have three monitors.

I assume that movies I've downloaded that are in widescreen format that I play in WMPlayer will pretty much fill up a 22" widescreen monitor, right?

Ideally I would like to keep the price as close to $300 as I can.

I've seen most of these in person in the store, but I haven't seen some of them at their native resolutions because they were hooked up to computers in parallel where the main monitor was 4:3 so the image was stretched and you couldn't adjust it in display properties.

So please post your experience with any of the above monitors, or suggest alternatives. I trust OT more than circuitcity.com's reviews or whatever.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

No help at all!

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I have a dell 2405 and a dell E228WFP. They are both really nice screens. I would have no issues buying another dell. No bleeding, no ghosting, sharp, crips and bright.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I recently got the BW225 by Samsung, and the image quality is awesome.

I upgraded the same week to a Dell 24" because I wanted the higher res and bigger screen.

5. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Saw and played around with a BW225 in the store with a friend today and thought the colors were nice and the image quality was good for the price.

I use a Dell 2007FPW on my desktop and I couldn't be happier with it unless it got bigger and added component inputs.

The E version of my Dell is supposed to be sub-par though, they take away the inputs and some other features in order to justify the lower price.

6. Strife

Strife Active Member

I have one of the Acer AL's that I got over Christmas and am 100% happy with it. The reviews are pretty good for it and it was the cheapest 22" I saw. Most of the bigname LCD's are going to be pretty comparable and supposedly they are all made by the same company.

It was onsale for $220 back before Christmas, not sure what the prices are on them now.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I missed the 225BW for $300 on Black Friday.

$220 for a 22" at brick and mortar stores? Nice!