whey protien question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SovietRussia, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

so i am not getting the recomended 1g/body weight pound and figured id try out a supplement of protien. i only am really able to lift on a max of 3 days a week (tuesday, friday, and sunday) and its usually only tuesday and friday. do i need 1g/lb on the off days? .5/lb? i just dont want to waste the supplement protein.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

you should be eating as much as you can every day of the week

3. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

You need an adequate input of protein every few hours to have a good nitrogen balance. Nitrogen balance = musce growth, so shoot for around 30g of protein every 2-3 hours.

Well, the above is pretty much what the stickies say :dunno:

4. SovietRussia

would all the same be true if i am not ready to 'bulk' but would still consider myself 'cutting'?

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i split up my shakes in small servings through the day (pretty much what eddscat said) and of course eat protein as well, but typically i drink 100-200 g protein a day spread out in 4-8 shakes (depends on lift day or off day)

(I weigh about 300 pounds and with food get about 200-300g protein a day)

if not bulking you might want to just prep a bunch of chicken breasts and eat small amounts through the day to keep protein about 150g + but keeping calories low. but that's just my opinion and i'm not to damn good with cutting lol

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Wether you want to cut of bulk, the 1 g/lb still holds true.
    If you were to bulk, the protein are for muscular growth, and when cutting to prevent LBM loss.

7. lif

lif New Member

When cutting... try to aim for most of your days energy to come from protein. It's not necessary to do this to lose weight, but it sure helps with retaining muscle mass. You're body is very smart, it takes the least energetically expensive route. Always. If you're in carbohydrate deficiency, it's going to go to catabolize your muscles and fat for energy. However, if you give it a steady stream of amino acids throughout the day, it won't use your muscles for energy, instead, it will use the amino acids you have given it from food.

Everyday aim for about 1-1.2 g/ pound of bodyweight of protein per day. When i cut, i take my calories down to 2000 a day and aim for about 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fat. Seems to work well for me.

And about 700 of my daily calories and most of my carbs come from breakfast. This "kick starts" your metabolism and you'll end up burning more energy throughout the day if you didn't eat breakfast.

8. SovietRussia

even on the 'off' days? i end up walking alot for work (no desk job here...yet) and school for the other part of the day.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

High protein consumption highers your metabolism and makes you feel fuller because of the thermic effect of food anyway, so if you're cutting, it's a good idea to ingest a lot of protein.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.