COMIC Where would I start to get into comics?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Strife, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

:run: I have so much freetime at work, comics seem like they would be good to kill some time. But there's so much stuff I don't know where to start :noes:

Does Oink have a large selection or I noticed the Warskrull stickie also. Someone help me :sadwavey:

2. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

Start at Wikipedia, find the story arcs of your favorite characters that seem interesting. That's all you gotta do, wikipedia will make you want to read about at least 30 other characters, which will lead to more comics you want to read.

I get my stuff from demonoid, between that and warskrull, there's nothing you can't find. I don't have oink, so I don't know about the selection.

3. Strife

Strife Active Member

Seems like no one has looked at the warskrull sticky for a while, I'll look at demonoid and oink then so it doesn't hurt my ratio too much. Guess I'll start with X-Men or something :noes:

4. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse New Member

Just be aware that titles such as Avengers, Spiderman and X-Men have a few different 'universes'. What happens in Ultimate Avengers doesn't occur in Avengers. What happens in Extreme XMen doesn't happen in Uncanny XMen, etc.

5. Strife

Strife Active Member

I looked at X-Men and theres a ton of different comics and arcs, I dunno where to start. I'm use to anime/manga where everything is in a clear cut order with different arcs that flow together :x

Maybe it's just because X-Men has been around so long and I'm not familiar with it.

6. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Why don't you tell us about what genres you like?

7. Strife

Strife Active Member

The only comics I ever read were a few random ones when I was younger like the death and return of superman and some spawn ones.

For anime at least some of my favorites are FLCL, Elfen Lied, Hunter X Hunter, Monster, Evangelion. Basically anything that has some action but also a good intruging story. Although random violence is entertaining also sometimes.

8. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Ex Machina by DC.

9. Strife

Strife Active Member

I'll look into it, thanks :)

10. axio

axio New Member

In the broadest sense comics basically get broken into two types of books: hero books and non-hero books. Hero books make up most of the sales but make up very little of the selection. Non-hero books make up most of the selection but very little sales. Most hero books are put out by Marvel and DC. Most non-hero books are put out by indie publishers. Hero books generally run into the hundreds of issues (Fantastic Four is well into the 500's) while most non-hero books are either single issues, graphic novels, or mini-series. If you want something mindless then I'd suggest picking up a hero book. If you want something with story and substance I'd pick up a non-hero book. Since the '80s there has been a trend to merge the two, Watchmen was about heroes but was mostly about the story surrounding them as opposed to their powers.

I'd sample some random comics, find an author you like and read more of his stuff.