MMA Where to start?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SKILLZthatKILLZ, Nov 11, 2008.

1. SKILLZthatKILLZ

SKILLZthatKILLZ New Member

Hey OTers, ive' always been thinking about joining mixed martial arts and always had a lot of questions about it. I really want to do it, and just wanted to know how some of you feel about it, and how ur lifestyle is when u do mixed martial arts.

im still in high school but i wanna know if now is a good time to start, what are some things i can do to train before i start, and which facilities i can go for mixed martial arts.

Do u guys feel as if your lifestyle imroved after taking part in this sport?

Thanks !

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Id have to say get into Wrestling and if you can find a school do Muay Thai or Boxing.

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Lifestyle improvement probably youll be fitter and have more confidence.

4. teep

teep New Member

join the wrestling team. beyond wrestling it will teach you a whole lot of discipline, give you a lot of confidence, etc. you'll learn how to eat right, cut weight right, how to lift right, etc.

5. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I agree to the wrestling comment. Think of it as a mini boot camp. If you can't take wrestling, then mma is going to be a long ride. Plus wrestling will help in MMA. You can learn more after you got a good grasp with wrestling.

6. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I do feel like my lifestyle improved. I am 10000x healthier than I was before I started to train. Which makes me feel better over all on a daily basis. Not to mention it has really boosted my confidence. There isnt really too much you can do to prepare for training. Maybe just a lot of cardio work would help out.

Where do you live? Maybe someone here can help out with a good school to train at.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

couldnt agree more.

8. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I think my life has changed a lot since doing any type of sports. You're at the perfect age to start actually, look at Phazel he's 28 and just trying to reinvent himself now. I gotta say wrestling really just wasn't my thing in highschool, but if you can do it and enjoy it then go for it. I just played football and hockey for like 8 years lol.

You will feel a confidence boost that's for sure.. One thing it has helped me with a lot is my temper. I felt before like I kinda lost control of myself when someone would set me off. I would just wanna fight them instead of working the situation out. I made it through public school and high school since I was always the bigger kid that no one wanted to fuck with. Now I can calmly assess situations and not just fly off the handle from the start, and I'm ready for anything at anytime. It saved my ass from going to jail last March I even posted a thread about it :rofl:

9. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I regret quitting wrestling after junior high so definitely if you're still in high school you better join the wrestling team. Definitely worth it.

10. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

I started like 5 months ago and i'm the most fit i've ever been, i'm 23 now.

I lost about 15 pounds in 5 months.

I feel really good, i got myself in a mirror one day and thought someone was wearing the same sweater as me but i didnt realize that my posture had changed so much.

Also mma is a lot of fun + if i ever get into a fight now i'm more confident than I was before.

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

me too, wrestling got put on the backburner to football after I got a concussion from a hw sitting on my head:o

12. SKILLZthatKILLZ

SKILLZthatKILLZ New Member

damn guys thanks for the great input!

and yeah i live in south florida, so if anyone knows of any places let me know.

thanks again guys

13. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

what does your thing say?

"what is wrong with the eyes of our nation?"

something like that?

14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

ATT in coconut creek.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

wrestling and in the off season train at ATT.

16. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

I only do jiu jitsu, but that alone has been a lifestyle change thats hard to put into words. You learn to watch your hydration, eat better, get more sleep. I myself have stopped the boozing. You sit around in a gym where the coach turns the heat on if its not miserable already, watching people get choked, submitted, injured, and they keep coming back. You get to enjoy the fact that you take part in a sport where you dedicate yourself to something that a majority of people don't care to come back to after their trial.

I don't even train alot, but nothing has ever made my day as far as sports go, like having a better grappler slap you on the back and tell you how much you have improved.

17. kroneX

kroneX New Member

If you can't get into wrestling take judo, that will give you a solid takedown base just like wrestling, and will give you a place to start if you want to learn bjj as well. But a judo clubs ground game varies from place to place, so you might be at a club taht does 50% throws 50% ground work or you might end up at a place that does 100% throws. Either way, judo is a great starting point and a great way to get fit.

However i think highschool wrestling is big over in the US if thats where you live thats a good option.

If you dont like either, maybe try your hand at kickboxing

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I think it says, "Bak. Derk-derk-Allah. Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad. Haka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la"

19. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Y'Allah!

20. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

[​IMG]

21. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Being a wrestling coach I can tell you this. Nothing will get you in better shape and give you a sense of balance like wrestling does. Ask anyone who has done BJJ, wrestlers always transition into it easy and pick it up faster. That because they know their bodies better, balance, hip positioning. Plus they are usually in way better shape.

22. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I haven't wrestled in 14 years and a lot of the instincts I gained from it were still there and it's helped a lot in BJJ.

23. chechen

go get some more tattoos to express your individuality :greddy:

maybe one of those barbed wire things around your arm!

24. chechen

i'm disappointed in you :ugh:

25. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

:rofl: America, Fuck Yeah!